ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

You gripe about the mediocrity and decline of utep basketball, which if you haven’t noticed, can be indirectly at the very least, and perhaps even directly related to the transfer epidemic.

There’s minimal continuity. A team like UTEP needs one of two things, player continuity to build on from year to year or the luck of striking it rich once every blue moon.

The latter hasn’t worked out all that well for an often loaded WKU team.

You know what I’ve accepted? That it is only gonna get worse for us. You know what I haven’t accepted? How much it sucks ass as a fan of a lowly mid major program.
The decline of UTEP basketball, happened well before the “transfer portal”. Many fans gave Floyd too much time and stuck with him. They accepted mediocrity by not demanding a replacement for him.

That is different from where UTEP falls in the college athletics landscape. NMSU has won numerous basketball championships over the last 10 years, they’re not moving up either. They will be with us and the SJSU’s of the world. At this point, there’s nothing either one can do that will promote them to the next level. It’s not happening.

I have no problem with the transfer portal. Problem is, UTEP or Golding has been unable to use it properly. That sucks. Options? See what next year brings and go from there. Hot seat should be on Golding if he gets swept by NMSU.

Reactions: kickballpro
Is it even official?? Has the player said anything? Is he worth more than 60k?

I'm not sure about this Shamar addition. He isnt a good free throw shooter. His FT % is in the 60s. Evansville got blown out in a bunch of games last season, they weren't that good. I like Mario better. I think Mario should start and Shamar can come off the bench.

Reactions: jdubb66
I think we need to free Mario up to look for his shot. Plenty of room for both to play.

You're obviously hacking Patrick's phone. Not good, stealing credit like that.
Lol, I mean I had been told that he was committing, but after newton signed elsewhere I decided to shut my mouth. So I guess Solomon is probably also committing. Also, remember the name Marcus Williams.

Lol, I mean I had been told that he was committing, but after newton signed elsewhere I decided to shut my mouth. So I guess Solomon is probably also committing. Also, remember the name Marcus Williams.
Significant drop in scoring production at P5, but averaged almost 15/4 assists and 1.4 steals as a freshman at Wyoming. Yes please.

Solomon would be a solid pickup too

Now a big man!!

Significant drop in scoring production at P5, but averaged almost 15/4 assists and 1.4 steals as a freshman at Wyoming. Yes please.

Solomon would be a solid pickup too

Now a big man!!
Yes, he struggled at A&M and they became one of the best teams in the country after he left the team. He was a baller earlier in the season though and has star potential at this level.

Hey man, I appreciate your input. It's nice knowing who has been coming in for visits and who might commit.

We can't all be batting 1.000 (except for No Wins at sarcasm)

Question for all the purists. Is Shamar a "true" point guard?

Yes, he struggled at A&M and they became one of the best teams in the country after he left the team. He was a baller earlier in the season though and has star potential at this level.
I believe I mentioned Marcus Williams first here. 😀

Yes, a while back! I didn’t think he was even an option. I don’t know how it will work though since it’s his second transfer in 2 years without graduation.
He'd have to apply for a waiver. If not, he would need to sit out a year. Maybe the idea is to go ahead and stash him for a year, and have him available next year post Givance.

Last edited:
Yikes Evansville blown out 82-31. Shamar played 27 minutes 0-5, 6 turnovers , 2 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT