ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Here’s the thing. As far as I can tell, there are big differences between CRT and CJG. One has multiple appearances at the Dance the last few years. One doesn’t. One I know can’t coach players up. One appears to do a very good job of coaching guys up.

So to answer your question, I learned Terry was all smoke and mirrors who appeared to recruit well. But even his 3 and 4 star guys look like average 2 star guys. At this point I wouldn’t trust any guy that CRT recruited...if coached by him.

Until proven otherwise, I trust who Golding wants to recruit. Funny that you think you could take this latest kid. Where’d you play ball?p

C'mon Fanatico. Didn't you know that Fili plays pick up ball against NBA and Div 1 players in, I believe, Phoenix? Plus, I bet you that Golding will teach his players antiquated techniques like blocking out on the defense boards, which Fili has been kind enough to inform us is worthless. I don't understand how you can question his judgment.

Bullshit!! People’s gripe with CRT was that he didn’t win. Almost as frustrating was his teams never even improved over the course of the season. Nobody would crucify any coach if they win...no matter who it is they recruit.
Also, you have to give the guy a shot. I gave Terry a shot. He couldn't do it, he had to quit.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
C'mon Fanatico. Didn't you know that Fili plays pick up ball against NBA and Div 1 players in, I believe, Phoenix? Plus, I bet you that Golding will teach his players antiquated techniques like blocking out on the defense boards, which Fili has been kind enough to inform us is worthless. I don't understand how you can question his judgment.
My bad, Maniac. I was out of line for a moment. Thanks for reigning me back in.

Forgot about those posts by Fili. Good stuff!!

I played in a Basketball league this year scored 10 points. I've seen better players in that league. This guy would probably beat me but you would hope he can beat me. He is what 20 years old and getting a scholarship offer from Utep.

Juco players are project players you cant really develop a juco player. You only have him for 2 years. Omar Thomas and Jason Williams was here for 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Terry was a good recruiter just not a good coach. You need talent to won in CUSA. Western Kentucky is recruiting NBA ready prospects. I dont think you can win with Jucos in CUSA. Well I wont say anything anymore I will just let Golding do his thing. I guess because he had 1 tourney win he knows what he is doing.

I played in a Basketball league this year scored 10 points. I've seen better players in that league. This guy would probably beat me but you would hope he can beat me. He is what 20 years old and getting a scholarship offer from Utep.

Juco players are project players you cant really develop a juco player. You only have him for 2 years. Omar Thomas and Jason Williams was here for 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Terry was a good recruiter just not a good coach. You need talent to won in CUSA. Western Kentucky is recruiting NBA ready prospects. I dont think you can win with Jucos in CUSA. Well I wont say anything anymore I will just let Golding do his thing. I guess because he had 1 tourney win he knows what he is doing.
Fili sorry this isn't your guy, but maybe hold your contempt until after his 1st season at least. He's been here 3 weeks and you don't know all that's being done behind closed doors. Oh and scoring 10 in EP city league games is an awesome accomplishment for you, Congrats! Lol 🤣

That’s the hope anyway, right? Not sure why you’d assume the opposite at this point. I mean that one tourney win he had was certainly against so-called insurmountable odds. Wouldn’t you agree?

Who knows? Maybe CJG will flop. Then you can say “I told you so”. But for now, I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. Just because he hasn’t brought in NBA ready guys as you suggest WKU has, remember, he’s only been on the job for 3, yes THREE, weeks.

Anyway, 10 points in a city league ain’t bad. How many boards a game?!? Nah, just messin’ with ya!!

It’s all good. Pretty sure we all want the same thing outta this.

Fili sorry this isn't your guy, but maybe hold your contempt until after his 1st season at least. He's been here 3 weeks and you don't know all that's being done behind closed doors. Oh and scoring 10 in EP city league games is an awesome accomplishment for you, Congrats! Lol 🤣

I dont have problem with the hiring. I'm just not impressed with his current targets. They wont sell tickets that's for sure. Hopefully Golding shocks us with highly recruited player. I thought he would have player follow him right away. Like I said earlier I bet Tang would've had some players right away. I guess Golding is just taking his time??

And the league was in Phoenix. I'm 39 years old playing against 20 year olds. I was probably the oldest in the league. The kids didnt pass the ball much. But one game I scored 10points. That was my season high. I didn't get to play much. The kids were hogging up the minutes.

We are 2 weeks into the signing period. 3 months to go. I hope Golding can start filling in the gaps soon. I hope we get final decisions from BW and Tydus soon.

Has anybody heard about Hill? I'm surprised Golding hasn't made any comments regarding him given he was already signed.

We are 2 weeks into the signing period. 3 months to go. I hope Golding can start filling in the gaps soon. I hope we get final decisions from BW and Tydus soon.

Has anybody heard about Hill? I'm surprised Golding hasn't made any comments regarding him given he was already signed.
I am by no means sharing Fili's concerns, but I really expected something from Golding by now. His "I've got the world on a string" attitude convinced me that he already had a big recruit or two in his hip pocket. I've worn out my "pacing the floor" shoes. It'll be nice to have anything concrete in the form of a game changer player or two to show evidence of what most of us celebrated with the hire.
Go Miners--Go Joe!

Last edited:
Its 5/1 and still nothing??? Are we still in the honeymoon stage?? when does the honeymoon stage end???
Would you rather he sign a few guys and they don’t end up enrolling in August? Floyd signed some guys and they never enrolled. Is that better?

3 offers to JC players

yeah i just dont think JC players will cut it. Looks like Western Kentucky and North Texas are reloading. Look Terry had a talented team that almost beat a ranked Kansas team on the road and they did beat ASU on the road. But that talent was still not good enough to win in C-USA. JC players wont cut it. unless they are a Filiberto Rivera or Omar Thomas. I dont think these guys are.

Was the talent not good enough, or the coaches? If they were good enough to take Kansas to the wire they should have won a majority of their conference games.

i think it means you need both talent and good coaching. Also it could mean that C-USA is better than what people say it is. I mean Tim Floyd did win when he was here and he did have talented teams it just wasnt good enough. the 1 bid for CUSA is killing this league. Its tough to win in a league when you have to win the conference tourney to get in.

Tim Floyd record

13-14 23-11 4th in CUSA
14-15 22-11 2nd in CUSA
15-16 19-14 6th in CUSA
16-17 15-17 4th in CUSA
17-18 11-20 12th in CUSA

So in the early part Floyd did win and then it fell apart.

I will say this. It looks like alot of CUSA teams have jumped on this portal and have some good new pieces coming in. We are definitely behind the 8 ball on this. The JC Transfers we've targeted so far will not be able to compete against what I'm seeing in conference. So I can see the concern. My hope is that we get a couple of high quality D-1 transfers still and Golding uses those weak JC Transfers to fill a practice squad.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Bryson Williams tweeted that he had zoom interviews with both Texas Tech and Texas last week. Doubt he stays.

This whole Bryson thing, needs to happen already... Go pick your team, and move on... Can we get at least 1 recruit announced? anything? It seems way too quiet, after the high from the hiring...
I know Golding wants him back, but he should be allowed to practice with team if it's obvious he is going elsewhere. If we know he's gone, we need an immediate impact Big Man!

Reactions: shyminer81
We never expected Bryson to be back. He had his senior night. If he returns its a plus.

But it would be nice to start finding out who is gonna suit up for us next year. We are about to go into the summer with alot of question marks

Idk about y'all but of what good was it to have highly recruited transfers commit when Terry first started?

I'll wait and let the staff do their work. I'll complain if we're 6-24 at the end of the year and look outclassed in every match.

Spoiler: that will not happen.

Idk about y'all but of what good was it to have highly recruited transfers commit when Terry first started?

I'll wait and let the staff do their work. I'll complain if we're 6-24 at the end of the year and look outclassed in every match.

Spoiler: that will not happen.
You got that right!

There was still some hope since they were practicing with the team, but it looks like that was just out of courtesy.

There was still some hope since they were practicing with the team, but it looks like that was just out of courtesy.
I'm giving Golding the benefit of the doubt for now. I understand he wants to build relationships and trust, but hopefully our coaches are not spending too much time with BW and Tydus. The concept sounds nice and all, but I'm really surprised these guys haven't picked a team yet. At this rate they could literally wait all summer to decide. Hopefully these two aren't 'milking the clock' and waiting for the perfect fit because it's putting our recruiting in a bind. Our recruits need to be in a position of priority, not the guys supposedly leaving. Hopefully Golding has set a time line for their decisions so he can get going. He has claimed that multiple players have inquired, but all he has offered are JC recruits.

And I don't care if Golding is the next Coach K. We still need some good players to win and keep winning and build the program. I'm not interested in the coach Kugler method of hoping to find diamonds in the rough with every recruit. It works every now and then, but it's not a long term solution.

Last edited:
I don’t have a problem with BW and TV still practicing with the team. Onyema is going head to head with these guys and presumably learning and getting better. It’s not like those 2 are going to transfer to Rice and tell them all of our “secrets”.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm giving Golding the benefit of the doubt for now. I understand he wants to build relationships and trust, but hopefully our coaches are not spending too much time with BW and Tydus. The concept sounds nice and all, but I'm really surprised these guys haven't picked a team yet. At this rate they could literally wait all summer to decide. Hopefully these two aren't 'milking the clock' and waiting for the perfect fit because it's putting our recruiting in a bind. Our recruits need to be in a position of priority, not the guys supposedly leaving. Hopefully Golding has set a time line for their decisions so he can get going. He has claimed that multiple players have inquired, but all he has offered are JC recruits.

And I don't care if Golding is the next Coach K. We still need some good players to win and keep winning and build the program. I'm not interested in the coach Kugler method of hoping to find diamonds in the rough with every recruit. It's works every now and then, but it's not a long term solution.
I don't know about BW milking the clock but he may be milking the situation for some attention. His tweet was addressed to TT and Texas twitter accounts and he has received lots of "love" from fans, especially TT fans.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT