ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Good size for a SF. About like OF3. Good numbers at the JC level. 13 pts/gm, 6.5 reb/gm, and shoots the 3 at 37%. Hope it translates to big boy bb. Well…medium big boy bb anyway.
I suspect he is/will be a PF. At least his first year.

He previously committed to UIW.... and the other 3 schools listed at verbal commits are nothing to write home about.

His stats were good enough for a first year player who will have 3 to play.

Edit, I presumed he would stay in juco another year. But he is playing at utep this year. This could be a pretty valuable guy if he stays 3 years.

Jan 10, 2024
southern.png
Southern
fiber_manual_recordOFFERED
Jan 10, 2024
prairie-view-a-m.png
Prairie View A&M
Jul 24, 2022
southern-nazarene.png
Southern Nazarene
fiber_manual_recordOFFERED (NONE)
Jun 25, 2022
incarnate-word.png
Incarnate Word

Last edited:
Did I miss something and we lost an assistant coach?
Probably needs to be an assistant coach thread because now that everyone can have 5, I suspect mid and low major programs will lose 2-3 per year on average. Some fired. Some get promotions &/or pay raises.
(Almost zero firings will be called firings)
An ETSU guy went from being an assistant coach at ETSU to being an assistant coach at a juco. People don't move cross country for 50-70% less money at a less prestigious job on their own except in really rare instances. When you see that it's probably safe to assume he was not welcomed back.
I expect a of years, for guys that are being fired, they are given months of paid notice so they can look for other jobs while staying on the payroll at least until a replacement is found.

They lost Jeremy Cox to Oklahoma State.
Here are 2 hiring releases that I could find at Hoopdirt. It's hard to keep up because even mid majors tend to have 8-10 guys that are really assistant coaches with different names but the bottom 3-5 guys have made up positions.
Like Director of Player Relations, Director of Player Development,Video Coordinator, Director of Analytics, Chief of Staff and so on. And at high majors there are even more. And I am even not counting "strength coach", and "Trainer/Sports Medicine guy. Oh and lest I forget, Director of Equipment. Because you have to spend $70k a year+ benefits for a guy to keep up with the basketballs. Otherwise you could lose some or have them stolen.

6-2022
Bryen Spriggs (former chief of staff) has been promoted to an assistant coach while Austin Cox (chief of staff), Brandon Decker (strength and conditioning coach) and Rian Stubbs (special assistant to the head coach) are joining the UTEP men’s basketball program, head coach Joe Golding announced Wednesday.

Spriggs was with the Miners during the 2021-22 season, helping them achieve plenty of success. UTEP picked up its first 20-win season (20-14) since finishing 22-11 in 2014-15, earning the Miners a spot in The Basketball Classic for their first postseason appearance since 2015. UTEP beat Western Illinois, 80-54, on March 19 for its first postseason win since 2009.
------------
6-2021
Joining Golding on the bench are associate head coach Jeremy Cox, assistant coaches Butch Pierre and Earl Boykins, chief of staff Bryen Spriggs, director of recruiting and player development Khristian Smith, and director of basketball operations Caleb Villarreal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT