ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Bottom 25 Champions again

Give the trophy to Minor/MinerJoe, he's an ardent defender of all things Stull. Take it easy on Dimel, Honey. He needs a few years to address the absolute dumpster left by the Mafia of Mediocrity (Natalicio/Stull/Kugler).

Last edited:
Reactions: Realm-Fx
Back to back. What a great trophy for all the people that continuously defended Sean Kugler and Bob Stull! You guys deserve this. Dimel adds another 11 loss season to his “great” career.

All we need now is more donations and more people buying tickets, then things will change. Congratulations to the athletic department.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...uisville-utep-central-michigan-battle-it-out/
Curious what were your expectations his first year???? Judge Dimel from year 2 on at least.

Back to back. What a great trophy for all the people that continuously defended Sean Kugler and Bob Stull! You guys deserve this. Dimel adds another 11 loss season to his “great” career.

All we need now is more donations and more people buying tickets, then things will change. Congratulations to the athletic department.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...uisville-utep-central-michigan-battle-it-out/
A) I have not read in over two years anyone on here defending Kugler. I will personally defend his character because he is a good person and does care about UTEP and cared about his players and cleaned up the grad rates.

B)It was either fried bologna sandwiches your abuelita used to make or a thick, cooked to order New York strip with Bob Stull. UTEP football was down to the former with Stull. It's over, let it go. More than two dozen players were on the injured list with most of those being the veterans on the O Line. That is not a coaches fault or an AD's, that is rotten luck.

Curious what were your expectations his first year???? Judge Dimel from year 2 on at least.

Not losing to Northern Arizona and 2 wins. We got blown out by UNLV and got shut out twice!

I’m not calling for his head, just that he has a proven losing record and was wanted by no one else. He needs to win 3 games and have an improved offense next year for me to believe he will right the ship

Skip Holtz has won over 130 games at the FBS level. In 2014 his LT team lost at home to an average FCS team. That same La Tech team ended up playing in the CUSA championship game and won a bowl game. Even a coach with a winning track record with a very good football team can drop games to FCS teams. Why would a coach with a proven losing record coaching the worst team in the nation not be given some leeway in his first season?

That wasn’t his first game, first home game, of his first season. Our first impression of Dimel is getting a beat down by NAU.

Holtz won the rest of the season and has been to a bowl game every year since. He even destroyed UTEPs best team in 14 years 55-3 that season. That is the difference.

The team played relatively well, it doesn’t mean that I think Dimel was the right choice. Going 1-11 pretty much proved it.

Not losing to Northern Arizona and 2 wins. We got blown out by UNLV and got shut out twice!

I’m not calling for his head, just that he has a proven losing record and was wanted by no one else. He needs to win 3 games and have an improved offense next year for me to believe he will right the ship
That's reasonable.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
Ok. The point flew over your head. A very good team with a very good coach lost at home to an FCS team. Holtz took over a team that had recently won bowl games and conference championships. He had time to bring in his recruits. Dimel took over the worst team in the nation that hadnt won shit.

The difference between us is that I’ll admit when we made a bad prediction or hire. If Dimel fails I have no problem saying I was wrong. If Dimel wins you on the other hand will go into hiding.

With this handle you predicted UTEP wouldn’t keep it within 15 vs Marquette. Were you man enough to go back on the thread and eat crow? Will you give Dimel recognition next season if he wins 3 games?

Last edited:
There’s no difference between losing by 15 or 7. A loss is a loss and for much of the game UTEP was down by 15 points or so. Didn’t know that UTEP losing by less is somehow better because I said it would be worse? A loss is a loss. It’s not like Marquette is Duke or North Carolina.

I want Dimel to succeed, doesn’t mean I think he will. That’s the difference, that you don’t see. How many years are you and others going to give this guy and then turn around and say he sucked like you did with Kugler?

I agree. A loss is a loss. But when you are expected to lose then you look for the little intangibles that allows you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The biggest intangible that I saw with the Marquette game was that we WERE down by 15 but DIDN'T give up and worked our way back that allowed us to have a remote chance of winning if all cards fell into place. You CANNOT sit here and tell me that you are a Miner supporter when you are trashing a coach that has only been here for one season and another coach that has only 7 games under his belt. If you choose the glass is half empty approach then yes you will always have a 50/50 chance of being right. Right now your glass half empty is right on but in the future it will be glass half full. Don't just have a glass half empty approach to being a critic and then get upset because of the ones that look at the glass as half full. We get to choose the way we handle success and failure.

Where was I trashing them? I haven’t said anything negative about Terry and if saying “I don’t think Dimel is the right guy” is trashing him? Then okay. You want a pacifier to suck on baby?

I am pessimistic about UTEP sports. They haven’t won a bowl game since 1967 and haven’t won a NCAA tournament game since 1992. I will take those results as common place, rather predict future success. 6 bowl games in 51 years and 3 NCAAs in 27 years (not happening this year so I am counting this season) is pathetic! The team UTEP stomped last Saturday has 3 appearances since 2001 and even upset a 3 seed in 2006. Northwestern State has more wins than we do over the last 27 years! That’s f’in sad.

If that doesn’t upset you, then obviously you like losing and that’s why you’re excited about a team who hasn’t won a road game and has 2 D2 wins this year. I will wait, until I see REAL results before I break out the Pom poms.

Since we currently suck so much, have sucked for the last 50 years, and will continue to suck under Dimel my question is why are you a UTEP fan then?

Reactions: shyminer81
I didn’t say they would continue to suck, but it’s not their favor. They’re my team. Ride or die. Doesn’t mean I can’t be critical or rational when discussing them. They are not my family so I don’t take their failures personally. Some of you do, I don’t. If they win, great, if they don’t, oh well. I go about my day and on to the next one.

Where was I trashing them? I haven’t said anything negative about Terry and if saying “I don’t think Dimel is the right guy” is trashing him? Then okay. You want a pacifier to suck on baby?

I am pessimistic about UTEP sports. They haven’t won a bowl game since 1967 and haven’t won a NCAA tournament game since 1992. I will take those results as common place, rather predict future success. 6 bowl games in 51 years and 3 NCAAs in 27 years (not happening this year so I am counting this season) is pathetic! The team UTEP stomped last Saturday has 3 appearances since 2001 and even upset a 3 seed in 2006. Northwestern State has more wins than we do over the last 27 years! That’s f’in sad.

If that doesn’t upset you, then obviously you like losing and that’s why you’re excited about a team who hasn’t won a road game and has 2 D2 wins this year. I will wait, until I see REAL results before I break out the Pom poms.

Because, like the common fan, you look only to the win-loss column for your evidence. You don’t know enough about either fb or bb to add anything other than your criticism. You don’t see the game, you only see the score.

Reactions: miner1liner
I didn’t say they would continue to suck, but it’s not their favor. They’re my team. Ride or die. Doesn’t mean I can’t be critical or rational when discussing them. They are not my family so I don’t take their failures personally. Some of you do, I don’t. If they win, great, if they don’t, oh well. I go about my day and on to the next one.

Laughing out loud. You sure bitch a LOT about something you don’t take personal.

Reactions: miner1liner
Sounds good. I’m the same way ride and die with them. The major difference is I don’t blame the current administration for the past failures and I’m optimistic about the future.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
And that’s fine Corona. Not sure why this board can’t handle difference of opinion. It’s not like the football and basketball teams are Top 25 material and I’m shitting on them for no reason.

UAB won the West and made the CUSA title game. They didn’t even play football games for 2 years, but every year I hear “Wait until next year”. “Next year will be better”, etc. UAB fans didn’t have to wait, but everyone on here wants to give Dimel 8 years to get good. That’s insane. Only UTEP fans settle for losing and excuses. I don’t.

And that’s fine Corona. Not sure why this board can’t handle difference of opinion. It’s not like the football and basketball teams are Top 25 material and I’m shitting on them for no reason.

UAB won the West and made the CUSA title game. They didn’t even play football games for 2 years, but every year I hear “Wait until next year”. “Next year will be better”, etc. UAB fans didn’t have to wait, but everyone on here wants to give Dimel 8 years to get good. That’s insane. Only UTEP fans settle for losing and excuses. I don’t.

Your standards are so much higher than the rest of ours. I’m ashamed to be a blind Miner fan. Thank you for enlightening me! Link to your TED talks?

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I will personally defend his character because he is a good person and does care about UTEP and cared about his players and cleaned up the grad rates.

On so many levels, even in today's upside down alternative universe, that's laughable. You obviously missed a few memos.

Last edited:
HoneyBoy95, if you were hired as athletic director at UTEP, what would be the top three initiatives or changes you would make to improve the football program assuming you inherited the program as it sits today?

"A loss is a loss and for much of the game UTEP was down by 15 points or so. Didn’t know that UTEP losing by less is somehow better because I said it would be worse? A loss is a loss."
-HoneyBoy95

"He even destroyed UTEPs best team in 14 years 55-3 that season."
-Also HoneyBoy95

Scores are only relevant when HoneyBoy95 brings them up.

"A loss is a loss and for much of the game UTEP was down by 15 points or so. Didn’t know that UTEP losing by less is somehow better because I said it would be worse? A loss is a loss."
-HoneyBoy95

"He even destroyed UTEPs best team in 14 years 55-3 that season."
-Also HoneyBoy95

Scores are only relevant when HoneyBoy95 brings them up.

Weeks after losing to a FCS school, Holtz killed UTEPs only winning team since 2005. Weeks after losing to NAU, Dimel was losing to UNLV, NMSU, etc. See the difference? The score was only to illustrate that LaTech rebounded from their embarrassment.

Also, losing by 52 in football is way different than losing by 8 or 15 points in basketball. Are you not smart enough to see the difference?

HoneyBoy95, if you were hired as athletic director at UTEP, what would be the top three initiatives or changes you would make to improve the football program assuming you inherited the program as it sits today?

I would throw money at a good coach and then let the donors know if this guy can’t get it done, then the program will go away.

That’s the only initiative needed. Winning cures all. Hiring coaches who haven’t been a head coach in forever and already had an Ofer season, isn’t what a school that wants to succeed does.

I would also have Atlanta Falcons priced concessions too.

I would throw money at a good coach and then let the donors know if this guy can’t get it done, then the program will go away.

That’s the only initiative needed. Winning cures all. Hiring coaches who haven’t been a head coach in forever and already had an Ofer season, isn’t what a school that wants to succeed does.

I would also have Atlanta Falcons priced concessions too.

There are 60 coaches in NCAA football with a salary of $2,000,000 or more. When you say throw money at a good coach, what do you think your budget would be more or less? UTEP currently pays Dimel $700,000 according to USA Today.

Last edited:
I wish it were that easy as well. Unfortunately the university has restraints on the amount that they can spend and there has to be a budget. Obviously I am not privy to the maximum UTEP is willing or even able to pay a head coach, but I can bet that it is a real challenge to bring in a successful, proven one with the current budget that they have. I understand what you're saying though. In many ways you often get what you pay for.

Lane Kiffin makes 950 at FAU and they’re lucky to have better attendance numbers than a UTEP team that’s lost 23 out of 24. Somehow they can go 11-3, win a bowl game, and pay their coach 950 a year. Not UTEP though. “Not possible” “Wait until next year”, etc

Imo Senter knew the importance of making the correct hire for the football coach. His entire career is riding on it. Make a good hire and turn this athletic department around and the big money jobs will be calling. Make a bad hire and back to the FCS level he goes. While I don’t know for a certain fact one can easily assume his first call must have been to the coach he gave his first Division 1 job to. The conversation probably went something like this. “Hey Mike it’s Jim I just got the UTEP AD job and we are in need of a football coach.” Houston replied “new number who dis?”

We don’t know who applied and wanted the job. We know an educated man with a lot to lose chose the best available candidate. While nobody wanted Dimel, I could say the same about the UTEP job. The program is in shambles. It will take a lot of work, time, and losses to make this program attractive to any coaches worth a damn.

In my book I’m comparing this hire to the RICE hire. Both programs were in similar situations. Since 2014 the last year both made a bowl RICE went 9-27 and UTEP went 9-27. The recruiting classes are also similar. In that same time period RICE averaged the 117th class and UTEP 129th. Both programs are equally bad. They went with the young up-and-coming assistant route. After one season Dimel and Bloomgren finished with the same amount of FBS wins.

If we compare the games against the same opponent, I give the slight edge to UTEP.

RICE 22 UTEP 7
USM 40 USM 39

RICE 3 UTEP 21
UTSA 20 UTSA 30

RICE 0 UTEP 0
UAB 42 UAB 19

RICE 17 UTEP 24
UNT 41 UNT 27

RICE 13 UTEP 24
LT 28 LT 31

UTEP 34
RICE 26

I think none of the unknown assistants that applied would have performed any better. This was a throw away year. I’m curious to see how RICE and Bloomgren do next year compared to UTEP.

Lane Kiffin makes 950 at FAU and they’re lucky to have better attendance numbers than a UTEP team that’s lost 23 out of 24. Somehow they can go 11-3, win a bowl game, and pay their coach 950 a year. Not UTEP though. “Not possible” “Wait until next year”, etc

That's a good point you bring up. FAU was 3-9 three consecutive years (2014-2016) before Kiffin took over, and so turning it around to 11-3 and a bowl game win the very next year seems like a bargain for a $950,000/year coach.

You mentioned though that if a good coach could not get it done, the program would go away (assuming you were athletic director). Explain why you'd scrap the program (cost savings, no hope for success, etc?).

You can not compare UTEP to Rice, as Rice is a private school with a $5 billion endowment and can pay a coach whatever they want. They have actual requirements for athletes to go there, not like UTEP, who can qualify anyone.

Just look at the game itself. UTEP played really well in the first half. Then the 2nd half came, UTEP players and coaches mailed it in, while Rice obviously did something at half time and almost came back. Rice also beat their FCS opponent and won another game.

Rice had a “better” season than UTEP, despite losing to them. Not to mention, they only lost 10 in a row. If Rice is better than UTEP next year, what will the excuses be?

That's a good point you bring up. FAU was 3-9 three consecutive years (2014-2016) before Kiffin took over, and so turning it around to 11-3 and a bowl game win the very next year seems like a bargain for a $950,000/year coach.

You mentioned though that if a good coach could not get it done, the program would go away (assuming you were athletic director). Explain why you'd scrap the program (cost savings, no hope for success, etc?).

Because if the best of the best couldn’t turn it around, nobody will.

Imagine if UTEP were a business, how long do you keep a business open that has been “successful” 6 out of the las 51 years? Do you think Chico’s Tacos or Macy’s have been successful 6 of the last 51 years?

UTEP drew under 10,000 for a game last year. Fans are already staying away in droves. Fans already don’t care. Fans already ignore the Sun Bowl on Saturdays.

If UTEP were smart, they would already be trying to sell season tickets and tickets to the Houston Baptist opener already. Why can’t they sell $5 tickets right now? Get the word out. No matter what, they’re not going to “miss” on season ticket sales by doing this. They have less than 10k.

Wanna bet that season ticket prices go up for the 2019 season? They have won ZERO home games the last 2 years, but will still charge more. They don’t get it.

Reactions: Realm-Fx and EMA884
I understand and agree almost completely with your previous post. Somebody had posted on this website not too long ago that even though the football program has poor attendance and the results are no good on the field, it still produces enough money through TV deals and other avenues to keep other UTEP sports financially afloat. I have no data to support or confirm this, but I wonder if discontinuing football would have consequences. I like what you said about imagining UTEP as a business, I am just curious though if football is an arm of the business that holds up other areas.

You are right about everything. Saban, Malzahan, Harbough, Belicheck, Lombardi, and Bryant were all blowing up Senter’s phone inquiring about the job. Most of them said they would pay their own buyout just to have the opportunity to coach at a university with such a unique football history. Of course with the Sinaloa cartel funding the university money wasn’t the issue. Stubborn Senter went with Dimel.

You are right about everything. Saban, Malzahan, Harbough, Belicheck, Lombardi, and Bryant were all blowing up Senter’s phone inquiring about the job. Most of them said they would pay their own buyout just to have the opportunity to coach at a university with such a unique football history. Of course with the Sinaloa cartel funding the university money wasn’t the issue. Stubborn Senter went with Dimel.

Again, you’re assuming that I meant Saban and those guys. I said, whoever would take it. Les Miles was available last year. Hugh Freeze was available until today. You throw around enough money and people will listen. Maybe UTEP could have hired a top FCS coach, a middling P5 coach. Still all better than Dimel.

Saban would never coach here. Gus Malzahan could be gone soon, he is “possible” in the context of what I said. Not that Senter had him on his list of targets. Ridiculous

Again, you’re assuming that I meant Saban and those guys. I said, whoever would take it. Les Miles was available last year. Hugh Freeze was available until today. You throw around enough money and people will listen. Maybe UTEP could have hired a top FCS coach, a middling P5 coach. Still all better than Dimel.

Saban would never coach here. Gus Malzahan could be gone soon, he is “possible” in the context of what I said. Not that Senter had him on his list of targets. Ridiculous
Times are changing in the coaching world. Money isn’t enough anymore. Coaches are realizing it’s better to stay put and wait than jump to some shitty job for a raise. Littrell just rejected a big pay raise from a big 12 school to stay at UNT.

There is no way UTEP could afford 3 million a year for Miles. There’s no G5 school that pays that amount.

For all we know Dimel was the best candidate that applied for the job.

Times are changing in the coaching world. Money isn’t enough anymore. Coaches are realizing it’s better to stay put and wait than jump to some shitty job for a raise. Littrell just rejected a big pay raise from a big 12 school to stay at UNT.

There is no way UTEP could afford 3 million a year for Miles. There’s no G5 school that pays that amount.

For all we know Dimel was the best candidate that applied for the job.

Again, based on a what if scenario.

Sterlin Gilbert was allegedly a candidate for the job. He doesn’t have a 0-11 and now a 1-11 record as head coach on his resume. Would you say Dimel is better than him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT