ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP FB gets Wake Forest OLB as grad transfer

A guy I've been really impressed with is #5 Keynan Foster. Young man can flat out fly. Another guy in offense is freshman Ronald Awatt. Quadraiz Whitley looks to be the top RB, but it's a solid group. Kavika Johnson has made a seamless transition to the slot receiver. DT Chris Richardson has impressed as a 1 Technique, he's going up against Will in practice and It's making him better. Hernandez is a beast. Metz looks like the best QB.

A guy I've been really impressed with is #5 Keynan Foster. Young man can flat out fly. Another guy in offense is freshman Ronald Awatt. Quadraiz Whitley looks to be the top RB, but it's a solid group. Kavika Johnson has made a seamless transition to the slot receiver. DT Chris Richardson has impressed as a 1 Technique, he's going up against Will in practice and It's making him better. Hernandez is a beast. Metz looks like the best QB.
Agree on Foster, great point, just wish Pease would open him to run routes downfield instead of damn bubble screens like I've seen in the spring, he has juice.

Like this Jackson kid, getting after the QB is what he is being brought here to do, hope he helps out cuz our pass rush was very weak at times last year....

I've always wondered, if guys like this are so coveted, why would they transfer to another program for final year of eligibility. Especially from power house football programs like Wake Forest.
My guess is the opportunity for immediate playing time in a scheme (3-4) that would maximize his strengths. His stats from last year are pretty limited, so it is possible he wasn't getting limited PT.

Last edited:
Especially from power house football programs like Wake Forest.
I'm not sure I would classify Wake Forest as a football powerhouse. In comparison to UTEP, perhaps...

But the only reason I can think of for him to transfer from Wake to UTEP is playing time. If he was a starter at Wake, I don't see what he gains by a transfer to UTEP. I'm glad to have him, though.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Not dissing the kid, just wondering in general why any 5th year senior with one year of eligibility would transfer, particularly if they did not arrive in time for Spring drills. Absent other extraordinary circumstances (girlfriend, rules violations, etc.), PT would presumably be the answer, but if that is the case, you have to wonder why a 5th year senior would not be starting at their current school. I've seen such transfers, for example, with a new coaching staff bringing with new schemes, but that's typically an exception. It's also tough because you've got kids already in the program who have been there perhaps for years, improving, waiting to get their shot. Bringing an outsider in for one season, especially anywhere near the top of the depth chart, and without a spring training to win a job, may understandably be rough on morale.

Okay, I've talked myself down off of the ledge. Players transfer in for additional PT. There, now I feel better.

And BTW, if it wasn't apparent, my earlier comment about Wake Forest was 100% tongue in cheek...

6'3" 240 with experience at the big 5 level, no thanks, we're UTEP.

Not dissing the kid, just wondering in general why any 5th year senior with one year of eligibility would transfer, particularly if they did not arrive in time for Spring drills. Absent other extraordinary circumstances (girlfriend, rules violations, etc.), PT would presumably be the answer, but if that is the case, you have to wonder why a 5th year senior would not be starting at their current school. I've seen such transfers, for example, with a new coaching staff bringing with new schemes, but that's typically an exception. It's also tough because you've got kids already in the program who have been there perhaps for years, improving, waiting to get their shot. Bringing an outsider in for one season, especially anywhere near the top of the depth chart, and without a spring training to win a job, may understandably be rough on morale.

Okay, I've talked myself down off of the ledge. Players transfer in for additional PT. There, now I feel better.

And BTW, if it wasn't apparent, my earlier comment about Wake Forest was 100% tongue in cheek...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
True that this guy hasn't been highly productive and he is likely transferring for playing time, but consider this, he is now UTEP's leading Sack returner based on last season's production.

This is more of a sad statement regarding UTEP's defense, but only Nick Usher had more sacks(5) last season than Julian Johnson had(3). Alvin Jones would have ranked third with 2.5 sacks last season.

Julian Johnson did this in limited action and against much better competition. So for him, he is coming into a situation where he is desperately needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT