ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP gets 4 star TCU transfer

So many questions now. I think we all agree that the 1st man out will be one of Floyd's guards. Who will be the second?

So who was the better pickup? Vila or Archie? Are we willing to loose a big center with potential like Eze for a 6'11 perimiter guy in Vila. Is Verhoeven making Eze look bad in practice? Verhoeven is a defensive stud, but didn't do much on offense his freshman year and transferred because he wants to handle the ball more. Is he willing to play center if Eze is lost?

Are we willing to lose our leading scorer to keep all the bigs and allow all of Terry's guards to play?

Is Stroud gonna qualify? What position will he play?

Will someone pay their own way?

Will somebody unexpexted leave or not show up?

I think we find out pretty quick when the season is over.

So many questions now. I think we all agree that the 1st man out will be one of Floyd's guards. Who will be the second?

So who was the better pickup? Vila or Archie? Are we willing to loose a big center with potential like Eze for a 6'11 perimiter guy in Vila. Is Verhoeven making Eze look bad in practice? Verhoeven is a defensive stud, but didn't do much on offense his freshman year and transferred because he wants to handle the ball more. Is he willing to play center if Eze is lost?

Are we willing to lose our leading scorer to keep all the bigs and allow all of Terry's guards to play?

Not questions — options.

Just speculation on my part:

- The two guys who could be out are Magee and Ezeagu. I just see Ezeagu as too raw a prospect, on both ends, to be a difference maker. I think Efe, Vila, and Verhoeven would be able to defend a five, especially in the modern game where there are very few true post players. I think it would be a mistake to keep Eze instead of Gilyard, if the decision were to come down to that.

- I think Stroud will be eligible and play primarily at the two. At 6'4", 190 lbs, he would have trouble defending some small forwards. He may also backup Lathon at the point.

- I don't see anyone paying their own way. It makes no sense for a D1 player to do that. The guys we are talking about possibly leaving would be scholarship players at other schools.

What a nice situation to have. This year Terry struggles to put five quality players on the floor. Next year he will struggle to decide who of all the countless quality players he has to put on the floor without sacrificing time for a bunch more and keep everyone happy.

What a nice situation to have. This year Terry struggles to put five quality players on the floor. Next year he will struggle to decide who of all the countless quality players he has to put on the floor without sacrificing time for a bunch more and keep everyone happy.
Look at this! La Tech is a contender every year.

Terry left Fresno for two reasons: He a Texas guy with ties here and wanted to be closer to them and Fresno didn't give him much support through the athletic department and in the stands. He's a good coach and his ex-Fresno players following him here speaks volumes. As far as Fresno's success this year they are a good team but the MWC outside of Nevada, is way down and I don't think they are the league we saw a few years ago.

Terry left Fresno for two reasons: He a Texas guy with ties here and wanted to be closer to them and Fresno didn't give him much support through the athletic department and in the stands. He's a good coach and his ex-Fresno players following him here speaks volumes. As far as Fresno's success this year they are a good team but the MWC outside of Nevada, is way down and I don't think they are the league we saw a few years ago.

KenPom has Fresno at #66 — well ahead of any team in CUSA.

So I may take a wild guess and say Gillyard and Kobe are goners, just because they’re Floyd guys. But that’s just me.
What's this talk about Gilyard leaving? He's our leading scorer, a scoring machine. He's a starter and he's going to be a starter next year. He was brought in by Floyd, but Terry is definitely using him. Why would he want to leave?

What's this talk about Gilyard leaving? He's our leading scorer, a scoring machine. He's a starter and he's going to be a starter next year. He was brought in by Floyd, but Terry is definitely using him. Why would he want to leave?
I feel the same way. Just a speculation by some fans on here and historically speaking coaches do sometimes push out a player from a previous staff to make scholi room for "their" top recruit.

Speaking of top recruit.... who do you all think will be terry’s top recruit when all is said and done from his first two years?

Speaking of top recruit.... who do you all think will be terry’s top recruit when all is said and done from his first two years?
IMO all of his recruits are in the running and any and all will be "as a group" at the top. I am not hoping for "one" to be singled out. The entire group should make it because they seem to be really special.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Dang its been a while since we've seen some throw downs. I think PT has the only one that wasn't on a fast break or under the basket this year. When was the last time we saw an alley oop? I hope next years team can bring back some excitement to the games.

Another thing I gleaned from Terry last night is that he kept emphasizing how all his recruits come from good families. In other words he’s not recruiting thugs. Which makes his recruiting even more impressive.

Well looks like one things for sure. If we're not competitive, which I highly doubt, we'll definitely be an exciting team to watch. With bryson, Archie, and hopefully Stroud, we should see our miners become a high flying team again. I'll have my popcorn

Well looks like one things for sure. If we're not competitive, which I highly doubt, we'll definitely be an exciting team to watch. With bryson, Archie, and hopefully Stroud, we should see our miners become a high flying team again. I'll have my popcorn
There's plenty more where that came from. Boum, Tarke, Vila, Zarzuela, Verhoeven, Wentzel...

Another thing I gleaned from Terry last night is that he kept emphasizing how all his recruits come from good families. In other words he’s not recruiting thugs. Which makes his recruiting even more impressive.
? "Thugs" can come from good families. As a good person can come from a dysfunctional family. Also, the use of the word thugs to describe kids from a sport that is primarily African-American is at least a bit of eyebrow-raising.

? "Thugs" can come from good families. As a good person can come from a dysfunctional family. Also, the use of the word thugs to describe kids from a sport that is primarily African-American is at least a bit of eyebrow-raising.
Is rebellious youth the politically correct words to say so that no one gets offended?

So do you all think we are done recruiting? I thought we were done and bam this came out of nowhere with Archie
CRT is tight lipped and the crew is staying sober and quiet when coming ashore. Something usually leaks but I am amazed how nothing is spilling out of the program.

Kugler was really tight lipped but had a staff member who would spill stuff at Kyyote's every once in a blue moon so you'd get info way before Kug would make an official announcement.

So do you all think we are done recruiting? I thought we were done and bam this came out of nowhere with Archie
Tim Floyd once told me off the record, in this day in age of college basketball, you're never done recruiting, because your roster is never set.

Tim Floyd once told me off the record, in this day in age of college basketball, you're never done recruiting, because your roster is never set.
And because of coaches like Floyd athlete's have found a voice and legal leverage for LOI's and the "testing the waters" options that was not for discussion just a few years ago. The Age of the Baller pendulum has swung to the players corner. Coaches don't like it because it is part of the symptom of "give them all a trophy to make them feel good". Upper level basketball players see it as "your selling tickets, jerseys, concessions (including alcohol sales in some states), my jersey number to EA Sports (the whole UCLA O'Bannon matter) and I don't see a penny of it?!". Both are right and neither are wrong is how I see it. But facts are the CRT's of d1 sports have to deal with it and so rosters are fluid.

Last edited:
....as the NCAA rewrites the rules to be more accommodating to players as both desire to make money off their skills.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don’t see how people don’t see this — players make their money with their scholarships — I sure as hell didn’t get to go to school for free (trust me my loan bills can verify ) it’s irritating that players think they have to be paid?? Umm your getting free everything, access to some of the best training and equipment and getting to visit the country doing the thing you love—- no way in hell players should ever be paid more than they are ....

I w
I don’t see how people don’t see this — players make their money with their scholarships — I sure as hell didn’t get to go to school for free (trust me my loan bills can verify ) it’s irritating that players think they have to be paid?? Umm your getting free everything, access to some of the best training and equipment and getting to visit the country doing the thing you love—- no way in hell players should ever be paid more than they are ....
like to know how mid majors or small colleges could ever pay. Paying the athletes would end every program except the power conferences. Thus would take thousands of kids out of school.

I would suggest you follow an athlete around for a day while they are in season and see how many hours a day they put in towards their sport. When you add film study and time spent in the training room and lifting weights it is staggering. Then add the injuries that they have and play through and you would begin to understand why players want to be paid. Lastly, players scholarships are ONE YEAR deals. This creates the fact that players feel the need to play even when they are not 100% healthy. They hide injuries and play through the pain to insure they will stay on scholarship. Yes they can graduate without student loan debt but being a college athlete is far from the rosy picture that most people see. This is especially true for non major sports and at the D2 level.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I would suggest you follow an athlete around for a day while they are in season and see how many hours a day they put in towards their sport. When you add film study and time spent in the training room and lifting weights it is staggering. Then add the injuries that they have and play through and you would begin to understand why players want to be paid. Lastly, players scholarships are ONE YEAR deals. This creates the fact that players feel the need to play even when they are not 100% healthy. They hide injuries and play through the pain to insure they will stay on scholarship. Yes they can graduate without student loan debt but being a college athlete is far from the rosy picture that most people see. This is especially true for non major sports and at the D2 level.
Agree with everything you say, so what’s the solution?

Reactions: minerfan_14

Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT