ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP men's hoops team picked 4th in C-USA Poll

BS. They must not have seen we had the 12th best recruiting class in the nation.
n71EbEM.gif

Good attachment unicorn. Thats the look us Miner fans have when a Tim Floyd basketball season is about to start.

Us Miner fans? Actually, I think you pretty much speak for yourself. You're about the only one that doesn't express at least a bit a hope and optimism about the upcoming season.

Reactions: picks up
No, everybody on here knows YOU don't have any confidence in Floyd and will let it be known no matter the thread or the topic. Now you can say this thread's topic was basketball so it was fair game. But did you really say anything or give an opinion we didn't already know? Nope, just repetitive drivel. I think most everyone here would agree a fourth place finish is a fair prediction given last year's results. In fact, it's a simple prediction, just based pretty much on where everyone finished last year. Your so sure we're headed for failure I strongly wonder why you even bother to follow these basketball threads. Not a Floyd fan, not renewing season tickets, which I assume you won't be going to any games because as you've told us, who wants to spend money going to see these weak teams in this weak conference. Only question left to ask is what is your purpose then?

Thats about right. The glaring hole on this team is at center. We dont have a legit d1 center on the roster. Usually i wouldnt expect a walkon to see the floor much less contribute. However if Ivan Venegas has any ability at all he could log big minutes this year.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I think Floyd is the best coach in basketball. College or pros. We will be in the top 25 this year. Sellouts every home game. I will be there.

I do actually think CTF is a good coach and yes it is not the best team we have had I believe CTF will development these athletes to something special hopefully by January or February they will GEL

You never know UAB made it last year just think CTF can push these guys and with an ok center anything can happen. ..what do you think Chi....what do you predict.....

I would be pleasantly surprised with a fourth place or above finish. There are just too many unanswered questions, the biggest question mark being our play at the center position. Depending upon how the team comes together we may have the best combination of players by playing "small ball."

Old Dominion is a good team. UAB got hot when it counts and should be picked first. UTEP had a great, great recruiting season but they are untested. I disagree with the UTEP doesn't have a legit center debate. Look, the 7 foot Kevin Durant type players are few and far between. Floyd was lucky to get a tall swing man like McSwiggan. Players that fundamentally sound AND play at a higher lever are rare. They go pro, fast.....and in any country. Wilms will contribute and will be just fine, IMO.

Old Dominion is a good team. UAB got hot when it counts and should be picked first. UTEP had a great, great recruiting season but they are untested. I disagree with the UTEP doesn't have a legit center debate. Look, the 7 foot Kevin Durant type players are few and far between. Floyd was lucky to get a tall swing man like McSwiggan. Players that fundamentally sound AND play at a higher lever are rare. They go pro, fast.....and in any country. Wilms will contribute and will be just fine, IMO.

McSwig is the prototypical height for a college swingman. Very average in terms of size. I do think, however, that it may be to our advantage to play small ball, especially if we can shoot the ball well as a team.

Last edited:
We have a young team no doubt but I think this team is better than what we think.
If they can shoot that brick down the net as they are advertised we will be a very
dangerous team, that will open up the paint for Willms or whoever is going to be our
post man. We also have some quick and athletic recruits. Lets just hope they can
adapt to the D1 tempo and play as a team.

I see us going to the NIT.

Go miners...

Looking at our schedule, we got two bad breaks:

1. The Corpus tournament screwed us a bit. The talk this summer was that our opening game in the tournament was going to be Oakland. To the casual fan, that's not going to generate all that much excitement. But, they're a pretty solid mid-major program. Instead we got Florida A&M, who was the worst team in the country last year by RPI.

2. Of the five teams we play twice in conference, 4 of them are projected in the bottom 5 (FIU, FAU, USM, and UTSA).

All of this probably isn't going to matter all that much because of the otherwise weak schedule, But definitely doesn't help matters.

Looking at our schedule, we got two bad breaks:

1. The Corpus tournament screwed us a bit. The talk this summer was that our opening game in the tournament was going to be Oakland. To the casual fan, that's not going to generate all that much excitement. But, they're a pretty solid mid-major program. Instead we got Florida A&M, who was the worst team in the country last year by RPI.

2. Of the five teams we play twice in conference, 4 of them are projected in the bottom 5 (FIU, FAU, USM, and UTSA).

All of this probably isn't going to matter all that much because of the otherwise weak schedule, But definitely doesn't help matters.

Well...it'll certainly pad the win column and excite the crowd that thinks 20 wins still means something in this day and age of college bb. Half sarcastic, half not.

RPI means nothing for UTEP this year -- only one (slim) shot to get into the big dance based on our (weak) schedule.

I would like to see those scumbag NCAAs leave out a 6 loss UTEP team. The UTEP basketball name carrys weight. Why you think Tim Floyd is coaching here?

We have a young team no doubt but I think this team is better than what we think.
If they can shoot that brick down the net as they are advertised we will be a very
dangerous team, that will open up the paint for Willms or whoever is going to be our
post man. We also have some quick and athletic recruits. Lets just hope they can
adapt to the D1 tempo and play as a team.

I see us going to the NIT.

Go miners...
I agree with this, except that the potential is there to make the Big Dance based on their weak schedule. Hopefully the weak schedule will equal a lot of wins and give confidence to the young team come conference tournament time.

On another note, since I haven't seen a post on this, the team got another verbal commitment from Tim Cameron according to Rivals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT