ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP - Rice Game Thread

Dana Dimel is 2-21 over his last two years, he is 7-28 over his last 3 years and 7-39 over his last 4 years as a head coach. What in the world could he ever do to change the direction of his downward trajectory? There is not a chance in hell this is the guy to turn us around. Not a chance in hell!!!!

Last edited:
Dana Dimel is 2-21 over his last two years, he is 7-35 over his last 3 years and 7-46 over his last 4 years as a head coach. What in the world could he ever do to change the direction of his downward trajectory? There is not a chance in hell this is the guy to turn us around. Not a chance in hell!!!!

Good thing he doesn’t have any ties to Don Haskins. I agree, he sucks. UTEP needs to bite the bullet and play at Alabama for the next 20 years if they need the money to cover this disaster of a hire!

I hate hearing Dimel talk about effort and preparation. It means squat when he’s calling trash plays and mismanaging the game.

Add in the “Well if you take that away we’re in control of the game.”

Effort is a maybe but preparation is bullshit. Success would meet this team half way if we were even halfway prepared. Lack of preparation is fully on him and his staff.

I cant even stand to look at the guy anymore, he’s so full of shit and excuses.

Effort is a maybe but preparation is bullshit. Success would meet this team half way if we were even halfway prepared. Lack of preparation is fully on him and his staff.

That stupid smirk on his face after the game pissed me off. This guy has no shame in his work.

The really sad part is that the team that was actually prepared and well coached was across the field today. If Dimel had been able to have this team play like Rice did this year, most of us (including myself), would have been satisfied with some progress. Despite that incredibly low bar, Dimel failed miserably. Yet, Senter is still making excuses for him, and telling people that building a football program is like building a house. Nuts.

Last edited:
The really sad part is that the team that was actually prepared and well coached was across the field today. If Dimel had been able to have this team play like Rice did this year, most of us (including myself), would have been satisfied with some progress. Despite that incredibly low bar, Dimel failed miserably. Yet, Senter is still making excuses for him, and telling people that building a football program is like building a house. Nuts.

With this easy schedule, a well-prepared team with discipline would have won 3-4 games at least even when accounting for the overall lack of talent.

What kind of house is he building? Is it made of cardboard?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
You can dis the coach all you want but you have to look closely at the quality of football player we get, have had and will get. No coach competent or not can win without sufficient numbers of players that are D1 quality. Can't coach up speed, size or undisciplined players. We have too few that meet all three of these criteria and until this changes no coach is going to be successful here.

You can dis the coach all you want but you have to look closely at the quality of football player we get, have had and will get. No coach competent or not can win without sufficient numbers of players that are D1 quality. Can't coach up speed, size or undisciplined players. We have too few that meet all three of these criteria and until this changes no coach is going to be successful here.

I agree, but he bears a lot of the blame. They couldn’t settle on a QB. Poor play calling, awful defensive scheme, and constant mismanagement.

Wonder who’s in charge of that.

So let's get a competent one and see what happens.

The program’s problems are multi-faceted. Without a doubt the team needs better athletes with all of the attributes you mentioned, however there is also no question that coaching did not help 2019’s team as much as they should have. Watching the games closely will reveal the mishaps that this staff has committed time and time again.

Final Say on the season: I watched, this year because I'm a Miner Fan, but had no real hopes. I never got too mad this year, because I didn't expect anything like some did. The sad thing is Dimel made 0 improvement from year 1 to year 2 and that would be what would concern me if I'm Senter. The schedule was set up for like many said 3 or 4 wins easy. I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired this year, I'm saying he probably won't. At this point I don't see him turning this around, but he's getting another year I'm pretty sure unfortunately, due to Idiotic Buy Out. Anyways on to Basketball!!!

Reactions: mikesarabia
Final Say on the season: I watched, this year because I'm a Miner Fan, but had no real hopes. I never got too mad this year, because I didn't expect anything like some did. The sad thing is Dimel made 0 improvement from year 1 to year 2 and that would be what would concern me if I'm Senter. The schedule was set up for like many said 3 or 4 wins easy. I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired this year, I'm saying he probably won't. At this point I don't see him turning this around, but he's getting another year I'm pretty sure unfortunately, due to Idiotic Buy Out. Anyways on to Basketball!!!

If you don’t expect improvement at the very least, what’s the point? Asking for a friend.

The perception of UTEP football and the school itself plays a role in why players do not come here. Not saying these perceptions are true or correct but there is a high degree of negativity which surrounds the program and the community. Live outside El Paso and you will see and hear this often. These perceptions wash over into attracting business to the area as well as attracting recruits. I think is is a bit nieave to think that the right coach will change this. We have had so many coaches walk into this program and walk out with nothing but resentment and anger, some of them were good coaches, some not, and a few got lucky for a season or two before our history and our ineptness came crashing down. Don't know if Dimel is the right guy or not but our history tells us that the next guy is not going to fare much better. For UTEP football these issues are almost insurmountable and extend way beyond the coach or the players. As a fan I want UTEP to be successful, but after watching this program for 40+ years there is a multitude of issue which plague it. Coaching is only one.

The perception of UTEP football and the school itself plays a role in why players do not come here. Not saying these perceptions are true or correct but there is a high degree of negativity which surrounds the program and the community. Live outside El Paso and you will see and hear this often. These perceptions wash over into attracting business to the area as well as attracting recruits. I think is is a bit nieave to think that the right coach will change this. We have had so many coaches walk into this program and walk out with nothing but resentment and anger, some of them were good coaches, some not, and a few got lucky for a season or two before our history and our ineptness came crashing down. Don't know if Dimel is the right guy or not but our history tells us that the next guy is not going to fare much better. For UTEP football these issues are almost insurmountable and extend way beyond the coach or the players. As a fan I want UTEP to be successful, but after watching this program for 40+ years there is a multitude of issue which plague it. Coaching is only one.
Whatever challenges UTEP faces, they should be able to win most of their games against an NMSU team that got kicked out of the Sun Belt. El Paso is not the worst city in the country so I won't accept that UTEP is the worst team in the country because we can't attract players to El Paso.

Reactions: axingfools1
Why do some people play the same ol same ol garbage lines. No, it wont always be the same. Even Kugler went to a bowl game. Dimel has never been the answer. He flat out sucks as a coach. It was sad to see the lifeless Sunbowl today. Me and my wife were the only one clapping in the entire section. Wilson needs to show she is committed to athletics as well. Put pressure on Senter and get rid of Dimel. Find a way, or next year will be worse. Dimel didnt even see what Goodwin had, he ran Hardison? A supposed passing qb. He is clueless and I hope he takes his ass back to Kansas. I bought 15 tickets only to be embarrassed once again. Damn joke of a coach. Thank God for basketball.

He isn't gonna get fired. Although, many of us want him out, can you imagine how hard it will be to get a coach to come to UTEP if we fire a coach after 2 seasons and he's really only had one complete year.

We're gonna have to bite the bullet for at least one more season and probably fork up some cash. My out of the box thinking would be to let him coach for one more season, if he doesn't win at least 3 games next year (3rd season), announce that Dimel will be leaving at the end of his 4th year, if he likes it or not. Hire a coach at the end of next season (season 3) and let him hire an "assistant head coach". If Dimel doesn't resign then we're F***** and have to pay two coaches. If he does resign, have Cox be the interim head coach for one year (season 4) and let the new Head coach and "assistant head coach" focus on recruiting from the end of season 3, while also working limited time with the leftover position coaches and players during season 4. The "assistant head coach" would actually be one of the coordinators once everything is said and done, but would have the label "assistant head coach" that way he has cred with the position coaches and players who would like to comeback to the team if given the opportunity. We gotta send a message to recruits and the college football world that we're being serious about football.

I've been drinkingo_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT