ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP/ Utah St. coach game thread

Will UTEP improve quality of ESPN broadcasts?

• NO

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Hell NO

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Ehh, it is what it is

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
I am officially saying this right now. I want the spread back. UTEP has run every offense known on the books since the Bill Yung days (Chadwell has been noted to run the newest variants of an option, RPO, triple aggressive style known in the G5).

Since '87 we saw Harvey, Singleton, Paul Smith and Buckram smash d lines. "Bo" Miles smashed up the middle running Lee's option, but not like these guys. The guys named above "moved the chains" more consistently.

Big man WR Reggie Barrett made Stull look good. Johnny Lee Higgins would run in the middle of any defense against any LB's and with the ball overthrown by Palmer and he won UTEP games. He was the last serious UTEP threat had. No, TS wasn't even close [TOP UTEP WR'S].

Love him or hate him, Mike Price ran the Spread and it worked.

I gave Dimel time, why not Scotty. I'm just done with the RPO and its cousins. Long live the Spread offense. Under the right coach and players, defenses still struggle against it.
Price brought in great receivers over his tenure, from beginning to end. But he also had a couple of clunkers in there too. In 2006 he had Higgins and Palmer who were a two man wrecking crew but the running attack was one of the worst in the country going for 691 all year. The defense gave up 3 x as many yards. And I’ll say it again… give me a 42-49 loss and at least I can convince myself it was fun.

But I agree with you 100%. The offense was fun they put up points and these RPO style offenses rely on a QB to make the right decision. Just do like every other team, stack the routes and let your quarterback wing it.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yes still very active in the Austin fc Supporters Group culture. Started an entire local soccer club with Pollo FC. Currently managing five teams. Check out or insta. Still learning and growing but definitely worth all the time I throw into it.

That’s fvckn awesome!! Damn, you must be busy af!

Price brought in great receivers over his tenure, from beginning to end. But he also had a couple of clunkers in there too. In 2006 he had Higgins and Palmer who were a two man wrecking crew but the running attack was one of the worst in the country going for 691 all year. The defense gave up 3 x as many yards. And I’ll say it again… give me a 42-49 loss and at least I can convince myself it was fun.

But I agree with you 100%. The offense was fun they put up points and these RPO style offenses rely on a QB to make the right decision. Just do like every other team, stack the routes and let your quarterback wing it.
Mike Price brought in Hundley that ran a great defense, anchored by Rodriguez, and right when fans were getting sober from a good year, he was gone. Price was almost literally crying in his beer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT