ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs Nebraska game thread

I was expecting a bit more from the offense. 205 total yards and 1 TD seems kinda Dana Dimel.
I didn’t think it was a Dimel type of performance. Dimel would have run it 3 times and punted and just tried to get out of the stadium as quick as they could.

Locklear was a little off on the throws but at least they were trying to get downfield.

Reactions: minerfan_14
#FireWalden
excuse me wow GIF by Stellify Media

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Game one for Dimel was a slobber knocking by FCS NAU. They ended Dimels' son playing career. LB Hotchkins put on a one man show to keep it respectable.

Well the play calling felt better. The first quarter was fun while it lasted. See you at the Sun Bowl next week.
Next week will be a better gauge of where we are and if this staff makes the proper adjustments.

Calling for a firing after the first game is ridiculous. It’ll be ridiculous when we play Tennessee too, because you know that’ll be worse than this one.

Most of us were expecting UTEP to lose against Nebraska, but I was hoping the Miners would have kept the score closer. I think this is a much improved Nebraska team with a legit QB, strong running attack and solid defense. The areas where Nebraska dominated us was with both their offensive and defensive lines. Nebraska's O line created huge holes for their RB’s and Raiola had a long time to psss. Nebraska scored easily because we had no answer on defense. UTEP’s OL and DL looked undersized compared to Nebraska’s. Our OL struggled to open holes for our RB’s and our QB’s were getting pressured. Outside of Nebraska and Tennessee, we will be able to match up well with the remaining teams on our schedule. I’m not a fan of scheduling our first game of the season against a P4 team because it usually results in a lopsided loss and this can kill the momentum for the year. Unfortunately, UTEP needs these money games. Typically the most improvement in college football occurs between the first and second game. I hope Walden and staff can get our players ready against Southern Utah and were able to see a much improved team.

Most of us were expecting UTEP to lose against Nebraska, but I was hoping the Miners would have kept the score closer. I think this is a much improved Nebraska team with a legit QB, strong running attack and solid defense. The areas where Nebraska dominated us was with both their offensive and defensive lines. Nebraska's O line created huge holes for their RB’s and Raiola had a long time to psss. Nebraska scored easily because we had no answer on defense. UTEP’s OL and DL looked undersized compared to Nebraska’s. Our OL struggled to open holes for our RB’s and our QB’s were getting pressured. Outside of Nebraska and Tennessee, we will be able to match up well with the remaining teams on our schedule. I’m not a fan of scheduling our first game of the season against a P4 team because it usually results in a lopsided loss and this can kill the momentum for the year. Unfortunately, UTEP needs these money games. Typically the most improvement in college football occurs between the first and second game. I hope Walden and staff can get our players ready against Southern Utah and were able to see a much improved team.
I think UTEP played better than the score indicated. They won’t face another front this big and dominant on the road in a hostile situation outside of maybe Tennessee. The defense competed and made, was it 2 4th down stops and a fumble recovery? And even on that 1st Nebraska TD drive they put up stiff resistance and didn’t get folded in a 3-4 plays. I don’t think Locklear had the game of his life but switching the QBs out benefits no one.

We should get a better picture of where this team is on Saturday.

I think UTEP played better than the score indicated. They won’t face another front this big and dominant on the road in a hostile situation outside of maybe Tennessee. The defense competed and made, was it 2 4th down stops and a fumble recovery? And even on that 1st Nebraska TD drive they put up stiff resistance and didn’t get folded in a 3-4 plays. I don’t think Locklear had the game of his life but switching the QBs out benefits no one.

NU and UTEP lines, both side of the ball, went at it. NU dominated, UTEP adjusted and UTEP D line actually looked good at times. That was something to watch.

Disagree. I think the Liberty and Colorado St games will give us a better picture of what kind of team this is. Nebraska and Southern Utah aren’t good barometers. Unless the Miners lose to SUU, then it’s likely this team is total trash.

If we are not going to block the DE, then our RPO QB has to make better and quicker decisions (especially while standing in the end zone). That safety was the beginning of the end.

If we are not going to block the DE, then our RPO QB has to make better and quicker decisions (especially while standing in the end zone). That safety was the beginning of the end.

Walden said the safety happened because, the defense was celebrating too long after the fumble. The offense wasn't able to get set correctly. Lol

• Angry
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I was expecting a bit more from the offense. 205 total yards and 1 TD seems kinda Dana Dimel.
I get what you’re saying. This offense will work against teams with similar levels of athleticism. Nebraska is faster, stronger and more skilled in every regard and across the board.

Against G5 talent, that 200 yards will be closer to 400. Speed and size kill. Plus, I think the QB situation needs to figured out quickly, which I think will go a long way.

Walden said the safety happened because, the defense was celebrating too long after the fumble. The offense wasn't able to get set correctly. Lol
Yeah nobody blocked the left DE numerous times. By design or not, it has to be addressed.

Reactions: bamfor
That doesn’t make sense. They ran an entire play before the safety.
How is it possible that we all knew after that fumble recovery, with that field position, the end result would be a safety?

I jumped up and down on my couch when I saw the recovery then saw the ball on the 3 or whatever and thought—SOB, UTEP is going to figure out how to get downed in their own end zone.

Shitty playcalling by UTEP there.

I didn’t see any stats for either Tyrin Smith or Kelly Akharaiyi. Looks like they’re no longer the big fish in a small pond.

I understand the allure to go bigger and better. I think it’s natural to want that and when the opportunity presents itself, to go for it. Especially for athletes that through HS made “it” happen on the field. That success breeds the self confidence to take a chance on one’s self. But looking at a position group that is 6-8 guys deep, sometimes even more, someone ain’t gonna cut the mustard and will get left out.

The way college fb is arranged these days, I think it would be advantageous to stay a big fish in a small pond, especially if the goal is playing time and an opportunity at the next level, but that’s probably difficult for an 18-21 year old to rationalize.

I didn’t see any stats for either Tyrin Smith or Kelly Akharaiyi. Looks like they’re no longer the big fish in a small pond.

Akharaiyi is out with an injury. Smith was probably at the bank cashing his check. 😀

• Haha
I understand the allure to go bigger and better. I think it’s natural to want that and when the opportunity presents itself, to go for it. Especially for athletes that through HS made “it” happen on the field. That success breeds the self confidence to take a chance on one’s self. But looking at a position group that is 6-8 guys deep, sometimes even more, someone ain’t gonna cut the mustard and will get left out.

The way college fb is arranged these days, I think it would be advantageous to stay a big fish in a small pond, especially if the goal is playing time and an opportunity at the next level, but that’s probably difficult for an 18-21 year old to rationalize.
Totally agree. All those guys are seniors and may not get a chance to show their talents if they play limited minutes. These guys are competitors and surely want to see action on the field. I think it’s better to remain a big fish in a small pond and give yourself an opportunity to be seen by NFL scouts, which is what many college players strive for. The fact that two new Miners got on NFL squads this year proves that.

Disagree. I think the Liberty and Colorado St games will give us a better picture of what kind of team this is. Nebraska and Southern Utah aren’t good barometers. Unless the Miners lose to SUU, then it’s likely this team is total trash.
But even then.. UTEP rarely wins OOC games on the road, and they’ve won 1 game EVER on the East Coast. If they pull both of those off this team is miles ahead of last year.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That doesn’t make sense. They ran an entire play before the safety.

I can't find where I saw he said this. Maybe it was the play before the safety? I didn't see the fumble , did the guys celebrate after the fumble?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT