ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs Nebraska game thread

They did, along with some posing on the sideline as a defensive group. Doesn’t excuse the offense, they should have been ready to go out there and get set.

But even then.. UTEP rarely wins OOC games on the road, and they’ve won 1 game EVER on the East Coast. If they pull both of those off this team is miles ahead of last year.
I’m not saying they’re going to win, but if they lose both games 40-7ish, then that is not good. If they lose 28-21ish, that is definitely better than last year.

Reactions: FedupMiner
I’m not saying they’re going to win, but if they lose both games 40-7ish, then that is not good. If they lose 28-21ish, that is definitely better than last year.
Imo they need to keep the margin within 24 points. That’s the by how much Dimel lost to a Power team in his first season, and it’s worth noting that he inherited a far worse situation. And he also “wasn’t trying to win.”

Imo they need to keep the margin within 24 points. That’s the by how much Dimel lost to a Power team in his first season, and it’s worth noting that he inherited a far worse situation. And he also “wasn’t trying to win.”
1st game of a new area and New team idk that I expected much more. Woulda felt better about a 40-21 loss, but whatever lots of season left!

How is it possible that we all knew after that fumble recovery, with that field position, the end result would be a safety?

I jumped up and down on my couch when I saw the recovery then saw the ball on the 3 or whatever and thought—SOB, UTEP is going to figure out how to get downed in their own end zone.

Shitty playcalling by UTEP there.
It's just UTEP intuition, so many years of rooting for mostly horrific teams, conditions us to expect the worst, almost like a sixth sense.

Nebraska could have hung 60+ on Saturday, they literally played every player on the team. I really hope the QB position does not become the downfall of the team, like it did with Dimel... I was surprised that Goodman only had 2 catches.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Nebraska could have hung 60+ on Saturday, they literally played every player on the team. I really hope the QB position does not become the downfall of the team, like it did with Dimel... I was surprised that Goodman only had 2 catches.
I think we knew QB would be a problem coming in. This has to be a critical recruiting point for the staff.

I think we knew QB would be a problem coming in. This has to be a critical recruiting point for the staff.
Way too early to say this I think. Just re watched Nebraska game. Locklear did some good things and some bad things. I think that was expected against Nebraska and his 1st start. Let’s see the improvement of the whole offense and how Walden adjusts and improves this team over the season. If we lay an egg against S. Utah then I can understand being a little worried. If Locklear could’ve took a little air off of a pass in the 2nd half he would’ve had 2 tds and we’d probably look at his stats a little better. I’m still in wait and see mode, but I think he’ll be ok.

Last edited:
Way too early to say this I think. Just re watched Nebraska game. Locklear did some good things and some bad things. I think that was expected against Nebraska and his 1st start. Let’s see the improvement of the whole offense and how Walden adjusts and improves this team over the season. If we lay an egg against S. Utah then I can understand being a little worried. If Locklear could’ve took a little air off of a pass in the 2nd half he would’ve had 2 tds and we’d probably look at his stats a little better. I’m still in wait and see mode, but I think he’ll be ok.
I've had that thought since before the game. The QB position was (and still is a question mark). I hope you're right though.

Watched some of the highlights vs Southern Utah... Austin Peay, had no defense, nor did Southern Utah though. I really hope it's not a shoot-out with an FCS team... UTEP needs to show up strong, and don't give Southern Utah any idea of winning.
Aside from that horrific 2nd quarter where UTEP gave up 23 points the Miners gave up 7, 7 and 3 points in the 1st m, 3rd and 4th quarters. And we can say that Nebraska played the 2s and 3s later in the game, but those guys should be better than Southern Utah’s 1s.

Aside from that horrific 2nd quarter where UTEP gave up 23 points the Miners gave up 7, 7 and 3 points in the 1st m, 3rd and 4th quarters. And we can say that Nebraska played the 2s and 3s later in the game, but those guys should be better than Southern Utah’s 1s.
I will say 100% Utep lost this game in the 2nd quarter. After that safety it snowballed!

When you run a hurry up high tempo offense, if you’re not moving the ball it could get ugly in a hurry.

A loss is a loss to alot of coaches. Whether it’s by 50 or by 5. If Dimel coaches this game, he keeps the score closer for longer but the end result is the same.

I think for the type of offense this team runs, it’s a good result. I think the Southern Utah game is going to be a real glimpse into the direction the season will go. Because the offense should put up numbers against a lesser program

They need to be more mentally tough than that! With that said I do think Nebraska is improved and beats Colorado. That game is gonna be fun I’d say
Nebraska 51
Colorado 45
Huskers 38
Boulder University 21

I didn’t dispute that Corona! I’m mainly disputing the point he made about them being a middle pack Big 10 team. They’re more in the level of middle level Mountain West team!
Not many big 10 team teams want that smoke. The brave that have scheduled them paid bad. They beat #13 Iowa on the road. Iowa finished 4th that year in the big 10. It’s not really that bad of an opinion. If they played in the Big 10 and had the same resources. I could definitely see them competing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Not many big 10 team teams want that smoke. The brave that have scheduled them paid bad. They beat #13 Iowa on the road. Iowa finished 4th that year in the big 10. It’s not really that bad of an opinion. If they played in the Big 10 and had the same resources. I could definitely see them competing.
Exactly if they played in the Big 10 and were an FBS team with the resources. As they are now though they wouldn’t win on a consistent basis against teams like Wisconsin etc… that’s what he was saying as they are now as an FBS team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT