ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA CUSA Champs

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Watched highlights of the CUSA game last night. Looked like a fun game to be at. Crowd was loud, alot of scoring and went down to the wire. I can't be mad at UTSA for doing what's best for their program and moving to AAC. I lived in SA as well and went to some games. To see where they have come in a short time is crazy! Makes me upset UTEP can't get to this level! I hope we can get a Bowl win and get some momentum going into next year though. I'd love to see the Sun Bowl host a CUSA Conference Champion Game, before these teams leave, but I know that's just dreaming.

Watched highlights of the CUSA game last night. Looked like a fun game to be at. Crowd was loud, alot of scoring and went down to the wire. I can't be mad at UTSA for doing what's best for their program and moving to AAC. I lived in SA as well and went to some games. To see where they have come in a short time is crazy! Makes me upset UTEP can't get to this level! I hope we can get a Bowl win and get some momentum going into next year though. I'd love to see the Sun Bowl host a CUSA Conference Champion Game, before these teams leave, but I know that's just dreaming.
CCG in the Sun Bowl next year!

40k for a 11 win team in the CUSA champ game, apparently one of the better crowd for CUSA. Still think if the tables were turn, UTEP would have had a better crowd with half the population. I hope UTSA sputters, from here on out ! Go Miners! 😂

UTSA has left us in the dust. They are doing very well considering they are “ behind the curve”. It’s a tough pill to swallow seeing the success they are having and the facilities they are building. Congrats to them.

Last edited:
40k for a 11 win team in the CUSA champ game, apparently one of the better crowd for CUSA. Still think if the tables were turn, UTEP would have had a better crowd with half the population. I hope UTSA sputters, from here on out ! Go Miners! 😂
Same. 40k for a championship game is laughable but they seem so proud. If we could ever host one I have no doubt in my mind that it would sell out. I hope BYU steamrolls them. Their fans are annoying, they're leaving the conference, and I'm not congratulating them

Same. 40k for a championship game is laughable but they seem so proud. If we could ever host one I have no doubt in my mind that it would sell out. I hope BYU steamrolls them. Their fans are annoying, they're leaving the conference, and I'm not congratulating them
What was the attendance for the UTSA game 4 weeks ago? They were in the Top 25 and UTEP could have still won the division.

30k. 15K more people would jump on the bandwagon if we were in a conference championship game at home. Those guys were ranked all season. If we ranked we would have gotten 40k for a regular season game

What was the attendance for the UTSA game 4 weeks ago? They were in the Top 25 and UTEP could have still won the division.
Yep. The butthurt is strong amongst some (nobody in particular).

Without being disparaging to UTEP at all, what UTSA has done is admirable. Up to this point, we can only dream of such success and 40K crowds. Hopefully we get to know what that’s like.

30k. 15K more people would jump on the bandwagon if we were in a conference championship game at home. Those guys were ranked all season. If we ranked we would have gotten 40k for a regular season game
Maybe. But to call someone else’s 40k “laughable”, is actually laughable. That crowd was probably the biggest CUSA championship crowd in a long time. And like I pointed out, UTEP didn’t come close to it, hosting a Top 25 team on national television.

My point on the attendance is that we got 30k to come watch a UTEP team that many of us still don't believe in. Yes, we have shown improvement but we believe we won because of our schedule. UTSA has known all year that they had a good team while many of us here still aren't convinced UTEP is a good team. I'm pretty sure that our 30k attendance game was one of the top 3 or 4 attended games in CUSA all year long despite us finishing in the middle of the league and not being convinced our team is good.

Nobody is claiming to have said that UTEP came close to hosting a championship game. All. Saying is if we did we would have had a sellout and if we were ranked all year long we would have averaged close 40k in the regular season.

Reactions: Dmanminer
And maybe laughable was the wrong word but being proud ok 40k for a team that was that good all year in a population of SA isn't something to be proud of in my opinion

UTEP football missed its window in the early to mid 2000's. Unless a multi millionaire with pull comes riding in on his orange donkey and transforms UTEP athletics, we are done. It's not going to change.
Plus, we need leadership that prioritizes athletics like other universities. Successful academics and athletic programs don't need to be mutually exclusive. A first step could be to set up a NIL program for the athletes.

Plus, we need leadership that prioritizes athletics like other universities. Successful academics and athletic programs don't need to be mutually exclusive. A first step could be to set up a NIL program for the athletes.

Couldn’t have said it any better.

UTEP football missed its window in the early to mid 2000's. Unless a multi millionaire with pull comes riding in on his orange donkey and transforms UTEP athletics, we are done. It's not going to change.
Yes, but why bring up Trump? This is a Sports Site.

Nobody is claiming to have said that UTEP came close to hosting a championship game. All. Saying is if we did we would have had a sellout and if we were ranked all year long we would have averaged close 40k in the regular season.
We will never know this until we actually host a CUSA championship game in the Sun Bowl. Shoulda , woulda , couldas mean nothing. If they did, everyone would be remarkable.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Let’s face it, college athletics is no longer about the common fan. They must have rich alumni willing to fork out money. Unfortunately Utep does not have very many.

Reactions: picks up
Let’s face it, college athletics is no longer about the common fan. They must have rich alumni willing to fork out money. Unfortunately Utep does not have very many.
Inaccurate! UTEP has wealthy alum's probably more than UTSA. UTEP is a much older University and even though you're probably thinking of the poor local kids who attend from MX and the area. UTEP has very wealthy Alumni. Now will they fork out the cash as donors to make the improvements UTEP needs, who knows.

No one gives two sh!ts about UTSA here in San Antonio. 40000 is sh!t for a city this big. What most of the sh!ts living here care about is their heroin, oxy, meth, or xanax. F**k UTSA.

Inaccurate! UTEP has wealthy alum's probably more than UTSA. UTEP is a much older University and even though you're probably thinking of the poor local kids who attend from MX and the area. UTEP has very wealthy Alumni. Now will they fork out the cash as donors to make the improvements UTEP needs, who knows.
That’s exactly what I was saying “ must be willing to fork out the money. “ Doesn’t appear that they are winning.

About 15k of those in attendance were students. The city and local sponsors did a good job of raising close to 100k to get most of the students into the game for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT