ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ WKY Basketball Prediction Thread

I'll be surprised Utep wins a road game, but the better opportunity is Middle Tennessee.
Hilltoppers 78
UTEP 71

I'll be surprised Utep wins a road game, but the better opportunity is Middle Tennessee.
Hilltoppers 78
UTEP 71
I would agree with you except that WKU is a Thursday game. The Miners will be fresh.
The Liberty loss was on a Saturday after an emotional Jax State win on Thursday. We would have won the Liberty game if it weren't for a couple of bad free throws at the end of the game. The Miner defense improved with this last home stand. I hope, as LTMiner61 asserts, that the momentum will travel.

I predict a sweep with close wins at WKU and MTSU. WKU has proven to be beatable and we upended them at the Don. But I agree with natty that Middle should be the easier win.

Reactions: nattybry
We all keep saying after every win that will be the one they turns the corner. The Aggie win will be that one.
Utep 69
WKU 62

Reactions: groundrounds
UTEP and WKY...oops, U, has kind of developed into a pretty good rivalry. My heart is hoping Golding starts getting the team hot the last few weeks but reality is reality.

Rebounding: One and done. One the other end, UTEP cleaned up some offensive boards vs NMSU which proved to be the dagger.

Defense must be intense: If I was the HT'ers I would watch that Liberty game as they just flip-flopped the offense (Big man setting the offense as the one and guards playing two and three) and gashed, more like a west coast assault, the living shat out of UTEP the last five minutes. UTEP was still in it but missed their free throws.

Free throws=Free points. Pipe in your music and let the free throw flow come, boys.

This is just to be in it under five to go because this is the time when UTEP tends to fall apart.

Switchgrass Lovers 73
Taco Eaters 67

So in my estimation of looking at the season Utep should be 17-7 and 7-2 in CUSA. Texas A&M CC- Golding did not make necessary adjustments and we didn't make shots or free throws at key times. FIU- On Golding in my opinion- he let the bleeding continue instead of putting a stop to it. You could easily see the huge momentum swing and he made no adjustments. Sam Houston - Again on Golding for not making the proper adjustments and of course we missed some key shots and free throws. Liberty - Free Throws. I wonder how differently we'd think of this team or Golding if he pulled these 4 out. I'm sure we'd still have doubts, because of losses to other crappy teams this year, but it'd feel a whole lot better. Point I'm making is Golding needs to coach better down the stretch, get some road wins and get in the top 5 of CUSA before Tourney Time and make a run or I think most fans will be out on him if they aren't already.

Top 5 of CUSA. Such lofty standards. We’re currently half a game behind that. Just maintain the status quo and some will be happy with that.

Golding in year 3 should have a team in the top 100 of NET. We should be fighting for a regular season title and be one of the favorites for the conference tournament. Otherwise why is he the top paid coach in the conference. To limp to .500 and finish 5 out of 9 schools. Pathetic.

Top 5 of CUSA. Such lofty standards. We’re currently half a game behind that. Just maintain the status quo and some will be happy with that.

Golding in year 3 should have a team in the top 100 of NET. We should be fighting for a regular season title and be one of the favorites for the conference tournament. Otherwise why is he the top paid coach in the conference. To limp to .500 and finish 5 out of 9 schools. Pathetic.
See Corona this is why sometimes u and I talk crap to each other. You intentionally misread and misquote me to make it seem like I'm saying something completely different. No where did I say or imply that UTEP Basketball should strive to be 5th in a crappy CUSA and be satisfied with that. You know that, but you change and twist the interpretation to make yourself sound smart I guess SMH 😏 Its very obvious to anyone with sense I'm saying for Utep to have a chance to make a run in the tourney ***This Year*** and have a chance to get into the NCAA I think they need to get in the top 5. They've already missed the opportunity to get any higher than that. I've already said I'm not happy with Golding or the state of the program, don't try and make it seem like you don't already know that and start a completely made up and false interpretation of people's posts!

Last edited:
Reactions: utepgrad08

Read Bruh, Read! No one said, what you implied lol 😆

Reactions: utepgrad08
See Corona this is why sometimes u and I talk crap to each other. You intentionally misread and misquote me to make it seem like I'm saying something completely different. No where did I say or imply that UTEP Basketball should strive to be 5th in a crappy CUSA and be satisfied with that. You know that, but you change and twist the interpretation to make yourself sound smart I guess SMH 😏 Its very obvious to anyone with sense I'm saying for Utep to have a chance to make a run in the tourney ***This Year*** and have a chance to get into the NCAA I think they need to get in the top 5. They've already missed the opportunity to get any higher than that. I've already said I'm not happy with Golding or the state of the program, don't try and make it seem like you don't already know that and start a completely made up and false interpretation of people's posts!
A top 5 finish is basically where this team is at and it has shown it has zero ability to put it together for 3 nights in a row. I know you’re an endless hopeless fanatic and want UTEP to do something it hasn’t shown under Golding. I’m more realistic. We are who we’ve shown to be. Don’t expect a fairy tale ending to this story.

A top 5 finish is basically where this team is at and it has shown it has zero ability to put it together for 3 nights in a row. I know you’re an endless hopeless fanatic and want UTEP to do something it hasn’t shown under Golding. I’m more realistic. We are who we’ve shown to be. Don’t expect a fairy tale ending to this story.
Again not saying that or implying that. I just think for there to be any chance at even a remote hope of winning and going to the NCAA. Which is only possible, because every team in CUSA is beatable and not very good. Utep needs to be in that top 4 or 5 range when the season ends. This certainly isn't guaranteed with how inconsistent UTEP is and it's inability to win on the road. We could just as easily be #8. If we're 4 or 5 I believe there's about a 25% chance to make a run, if we're 8 or 9 that goes down to about 5-10%. That's all I'm saying, I'm certainly not satisfied or happy with Golden or UTEP Basketball that's for sure!

What…you’re NOT happy with that?! We’re right where Heather Wilson wants us man.

As opposing attorney's say on streamTV'ing for a big case, "bury them in paperwork"; bury her in emails. No need to be rude and crude.

Again not saying that or implying that. I just think for there to be any chance at even a remote hope of winning and going to the NCAA. Which is only possible, because every team in CUSA is beatable and not very good. Utep needs to be in that top 4 or 5 range when the season ends. This certainly isn't guaranteed with how inconsistent UTEP is and it's inability to win on the road. We could just as easily be #8. If we're 4 or 5 I believe there's about a 25% chance to make a run, if we're 8 or 9 that goes down to about 5-10%. That's all I'm saying, I'm certainly not satisfied or happy with Golden or UTEP Basketball that's for sure!
I get what youre saying but don’t agree that’s our best chance to get into the tournament. IMO our best chance to get into the tournament is if this team acts completely different than what they have during the last 18 games. 7-11 in that stretch with no wins outside of the the Don or 3 in a row. Our best chance to make the tournament and actually get the fan base a bit of hope is if this teams goes 5-2 down the stretch or better. Win at home and go split on the road. That should get us in the top 3 and avoid the #1 seed until the championship game. That is our best chance. Finishing half a game better than what we currently are and going up against the #1 seed in the semis isn’t the ideal scenario for UTEP.

I get what youre saying but don’t agree that’s our best chance to get into the tournament. IMO our best chance to get into the tournament is if this team acts completely different than what they have during the last 18 games. 7-11 in that stretch with no wins outside of the the Don or 3 in a row. Our best chance to make the tournament and actually get the fan base a bit of hope is if this teams goes 5-2 down the stretch or better. Win at home and go split on the road. That should get us in the top 3 and avoid the #1 seed until the championship game. That is our best chance. Finishing half a game better than what we currently are and going up against the #1 seed in the semis isn’t the ideal scenario for UTEP.
That's fair. I don't know if I see that happening based on how inconsistent this team has been though. I don't think any team is unbeatable though on a neutral floor even #1 whoever that will be, probably La Tech.

Looking forward to this one. Last time the Tops and Miners played, we had just suffered a soul crushing loss at NMSU in a game we lead by 23 points in the second half and threw away. We also lost starting guard Khristian Lander to a concussion in that game against the Aggies, and he hasn't featured in a game since. He is expected to return to action tonight but safe to assume only in a limited capacity. WKU is 10-1 in the friendly confines of Diddle Arena while UTEP is 0-7 on the road for the year. UTEP currently sports the #1 defensive efficiency in CUSA while WKU has the #2 offense. Miners offense seems to have been their issue as they rank 7th in the conference in that category. WKU plays the fastest pace in America but UTEP wont mind that as they check in at #43 nationally themselves. I expect this to be a fiercely contested game that WKU finds a way to win but UTEP covers the current 7 point spread, I'll call it 81-76. For those traveling in, Double Dogs or Pub by Novo are great pre or post game sports bar spots.

Looking forward to this one. Last time the Tops and Miners played, we had just suffered a soul crushing loss at NMSU in a game we lead by 23 points in the second half and threw away. We also lost starting guard Khristian Lander to a concussion in that game against the Aggies, and he hasn't featured in a game since. He is expected to return to action tonight but safe to assume only in a limited capacity. WKU is 10-1 in the friendly confines of Diddle Arena while UTEP is 0-7 on the road for the year. UTEP currently sports the #1 defensive efficiency in CUSA while WKU has the #2 offense. Miners offense seems to have been their issue as they rank 7th in the conference in that category. WKU plays the fastest pace in America but UTEP wont mind that as they check in at #43 nationally themselves. I expect this to be a fiercely contested game that WKU finds a way to win but UTEP covers the current 7 point spread, I'll call it 81-76. For those traveling in, Double Dogs or Pub by Novo are great pre or post game sports bar spots.
Thanks Hillbilly.

Oh, and NMSU can go F themselves.

Reactions: HillbillyHilltopper
A couple other UTEP stats of note that I'm sure you are all aware of, but I find quite eye popping. Golding has always been a defense first coach and that has never been more apparent than this season. The Miners are #2 nationally in turnovers created per game, forcing a turnover on an astounding 26.3% of opponent's possessions. You also rank 2nd nationally in steal % AND free throw rate. You guys get to the line like it's your job (25.7% of your points come from the charity stripe), but you also foul a TON which tends to allow the opposing team to shoot a ton of freebies too (24.5% of opponent points come from FT line). Seems to me the team who can win the turnover and FT battle will walk out victorious tonight, but that could be over simplifying things.

We had an active 7 game losing streak to them prior to the last win. WKU has our number. I don’t expect us to win our first ever road game of the season or series history vs WKU. They’ll cover too.

Reactions: nattybry
If this turns into a track meet, and I hope it does, I like the Miners’ chances. UTEP’s half court offense sux, as we all know, but this team is at it’s strongest in transition.

I haven’t predicted a Miner game in a long time.

Miners - 81
WKU - 78

…if we get the chance to run.

A couple other UTEP stats of note that I'm sure you are all aware of, but I find quite eye popping. Golding has always been a defense first coach and that has never been more apparent than this season. The Miners are #2 nationally in turnovers created per game, forcing a turnover on an astounding 26.3% of opponent's possessions. You also rank 2nd nationally in steal % AND free throw rate. You guys get to the line like it's your job (25.7% of your points come from the charity stripe), but you also foul a TON which tends to allow the opposing team to shoot a ton of freebies too (24.5% of opponent points come from FT line). Seems to me the team who can win the turnover and FT battle will walk out victorious tonight, but that could be over simplifying things.
We struggle scoring. Lack of a potent big man really hurts us. We do have a true big man who transferred from DePaul, but is not eligible.
https://krod.com/utep-basketball-re...t-high-school-prospect-for-final-scholarship/

Easy to figure out this game. First team to 80 wins
Should be old fashion now you see me, now you don't..
Miners 81 WKU 78 in overtime

I love OT games but would prefer to win this one in regulation. If it's OT we'll have to rely on the bench for help against MT.
But 1 thing at a time. Get to 80 first and worry about the rest later.

I wanted to go with the miners getting their first road win here against a tough home opponent but if this is gonna be an up and down game I don’t think we have enough offense to keep up. I also trust golding to have in the wrong guys at the right times. F it I’m going miners!!! Play Jones!!

Miners 82
Toppers 80

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT