ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA fires coach Brooks Thompson

BG will not take that job. They have no basketball culture that he demands to build on even if money is good.

BG will not take that job. They have no basketball culture that he demands to build on even if money is good.

A&M had no basketball culture. They dont pay much but he doesnt care. Basketball culture can be built quickly.

A&M had no basketball culture. They dont pay much but he doesnt care. Basketball culture can be built quickly.

Not sure if I'm reading/comprehending correctly, but If you're suggesting aTm doesn't pay much, BCG made 1.2 mil a year with bonuses. That's not Kentucky money, but that's a lot in my book.

I like Billy G, loved his coaching style and the way his teams played. But after issues at Texas Tech and UK, I think he is beyond any school taking a chance on him. Besides, I don't think it is his best interest to ever coach college basketball again.

I like Billy G, loved his coaching style and the way his teams played. But after issues at Texas Tech and UK, I think he is beyond any school taking a chance on him. Besides, I don't think it is his best interest to ever coach college basketball again.

He already IS coaching college basketball.

The next Texas college coach that's going to get paid big money by a big program is SFA's Underwood.

88-13 in three years at SFA. 59-1 in conference. He has won a game in the ncaa tournament could make a deep run this year. I wish Stull would have had the forsight to dump Floyd last year and scoop him up. As it is hes probably going to keep wearing purple only change is he will be in Fort worth not Nac.

88-13 in three years at SFA. 59-1 in conference. He has won a game in the ncaa tournament could make a deep run this year. I wish Stull would have had the forsight to dump Floyd last year and scoop him up. As it is hes probably going to keep wearing purple only change is he will be in Fort worth not Nac.

K-State blew it not hiring him.

One public disclosure when Billy was negotiating was that A&M would be willing to create a blue print to create a basketball fan base/culture there similar to UTEP. He did not want to play second fiddle to football.

One public disclosure when Billy was negotiating was that A&M would be willing to create a blue print to create a basketball fan base/culture there similar to UTEP. He did not want to play second fiddle to football.

A&M could win five national championships in a row in basketball, and basketball would still be second fiddle at A&M. Football will always be king at every university in Texas.

"He already IS coaching college basketball"
In what world is coaching Ranger JC compared to any 4 year college program?

You didn't say coaching at any "4 year college program". Nor did you specify whether you meant major college bball. I was just informing that he is coaching college ball.

• Interesting search at UTSA. Early on, a lot of people were on the Billy Gillispie band wagon. The former Kentucky and Texas A&M head coach has had a great run this season at Ranger JC, but I’m hearing that he is unlikely to be the choice. According to several sources, UTSA is targeting minority candidates, and Texas assistant coach David Cason is high on that list.
Source: http://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-31416/

I don't understand why some of you would want BCG back at UTEP -- too much baggage.

Not everybody is tied to their baggage for life. I work in a field where I witness people dropping it on a regular basis.

He was a hell of an Xs and Os coach. The kids really responded to his style of coaching. I can see the appeal.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
Not everybody is tied to their baggage for life. I work in a field where I witness people dropping it on a regular basis.

He was a hell of an Xs and Os coach. The kids really responded to his style of coaching. I can see the appeal.

Gillispie said the DUI and the decision to check in that treatment center are two of the biggest regrets of his life.

“I was there for three weeks, and I really did learn a lot, but the problem when you do something like that is you get labeled something even if you are not,” he said. “I think I disrespected those who were there that really do have a problem.”

Billy Gillispie doesn't even seem to admit that he had (has) a drinking problem! I'm all about giving second chances, but I need to see some humility before I believe someone has changed. Can't take a chance on him, not if he doesn't even admit to his problem.

Gillispie said the DUI and the decision to check in that treatment center are two of the biggest regrets of his life.

“I was there for three weeks, and I really did learn a lot, but the problem when you do something like that is you get labeled something even if you are not,” he said. “I think I disrespected those who were there that really do have a problem.”

Billy Gillispie doesn't even seem to admit that he had (has) a drinking problem! I'm all about giving second chances, but I need to see some humility before I believe someone has changed. Can't take a chance on him, not if he doesn't even admit to his problem.

His counter is past second chance.

With issues at Illinois, Tulsa, UTEP, UK and Texas Tech with DWI and or contract disputes, Billy G has made himself unemployable as a major college coach. What is more evident is the greater the pressure he encounters, the more pronounced his issues become. I loved his style and how he related to fans and players but coaching a major program has become beyond just winning and coaching. Billy G's issues appear to be much deeper than just drinking, I never got his failure to sign his contract stand until all his issues started to get attention. He refuses to sign because he knows he will not abide by any contracts "moral" terms.

With issues at Illinois, Tulsa, UTEP, UK and Texas Tech with DWI and or contract disputes, Billy G has made himself unemployable as a major college coach. What is more evident is the greater the pressure he encounters, the more pronounced his issues become. I loved his style and how he related to fans and players but coaching a major program has become beyond just winning and coaching. Billy G's issues appear to be much deeper than just drinking, I never got his failure to sign his contract stand until all his issues started to get attention. He refuses to sign because he knows he will not abide by any contracts "moral" terms.

Yup. I think we all learned from that. He promises fast turnaround and he does deliver. Kentucky was just a bad brew that he couldn't fix by himself. But, you take the good with the bad with coaches like him.

top-real-estate-memes-2015-02.jpg

Its easy to talk about coaches with bagage, bit its a bit hypocritical when our current coach has more than his fair share of bagage. I have no problems hiring coaches with bagage. You just have to realize its high risk high reward.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I get the reward/risk, DWI and the baggage etc. but Billy G was also accused of player abuse at Texas Tech and KU where is the reward in that?

TCU just hired Jamie Dixon away from Pitt -- he's a TCU alum.

Great hire for TCU. I guess we'll find out what kind of recruiter Dixon is because he won't immediately have the talent level at his disposal like he has had at Pitt.

Wow. Good hire, good coach. That got some notice in their league.

On a side note, Freeman from ODU got invited to Portsmouth Invitational. MTSU upest of MSU and that is the positive news CUSA needs instead of FBI investigations and our best team getting blown out by BYU in the NIT.

That part of the tour was skipped, in fact, I think they just avoided the campus all together and just toured the River Walk.

Reactions: allminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT