ADVERTISEMENT

What is the worst UTEP football season you have experienced?

Losing to Army at home is not anywhere close to a body bag game on the road against an SEC opponent. It is one of the two games Walden gets a pass on this year from me.
I remember a lot of us thought UTEP was going to keep it close. Boy were we wrong big time

Reactions: MinerFan79
Losing to Army at home is not anywhere close to a body bag game on the road against an SEC opponent. It is one of the two games Walden gets a pass on this year from me.
That was only in reference to this year, as the person I replied to was talking about this year. Army is good this year, but Tennessee is probably better. Again, the game in 2017 or whatever wasn’t being discussed.

Reactions: MinerFan79

0-12.

Only scored 3 Touchdowns twice that season. We lost every game but 1 by more than 3 scores.

Kugler knew he was getting fired and we had a 15-14 loss to WKU. That was his swan song and rally cry.

Other than that 1 game, it was a joke.

I went to some practices that year, it was sad. I posted about here and Kugler left me a message to delete it and I was not allowed back at practice
Whoa! Seriously?! I've been approached by local media many years back but never the head coach.

That was only in reference to this year, as the person I replied to was talking about this year. Army is good this year, but Tennessee is probably better. Again, the game in 2017 or whatever wasn’t being discussed.
Possibly, or possibly not. Army does not have your typical team this year. They have a bunch of 300 lb offensive lineman that can knock you on your ass. This is unusual as they usually have to deceive you with the triple option. The team is also extremely disciplined and does not shoot themselves in the foot. I also do not think Tennessee is as great as people are saying.

I don't think UTEP would stop Army on any drive. They are not disciplined enough and Army would not have to pass at all. But when they did, they would be huge plays. I do believe that Tennessee will either shoot itself in the foot, or throw some incomplete passes and will not score on every drive. That is the difference against UTEP. Evidence in saying this is that UAB has not stopped Army once in the first 3 quarters, and I think UAB is much better than UTEP.

Time of possession may be a factor, as Army will grind it out, and use the clock, as Tennessee will most likely score extremely quickly on big plays. So, that could come into play when predicting a final outcome with UTEP vs either.

Let's see when Army plays Notre Dame, as they could possibly be undefeated at 9-0 going into that game.

Possibly, or possibly not. Army does not have your typical team this year. They have a bunch of 300 lb offensive lineman that can knock you on your ass. This is unusual as they usually have to deceive you with the triple option. The team is also extremely disciplined and does not shoot themselves in the foot. I also do not think Tennessee is as great as people are saying.

I don't think UTEP would stop Army on any drive. They are not disciplined enough and Army would not have to pass at all. But when they did, they would be huge plays. I do believe that Tennessee will either shoot itself in the foot, or throw some incomplete passes and will not score on every drive. That is the difference against UTEP. Evidence in saying this is that UAB has not stopped Army once in the first 3 quarters, and I think UAB is much better than UTEP.

Time of possession may be a factor, as Army will grind it out, and use the clock, as Tennessee will most likely score extremely quickly on big plays. So, that could come into play when predicting a final outcome with UTEP vs either.

Let's see when Army plays Notre Dame, as they could possibly be undefeated at 9-0 going into that game.
“The team is also extremely disciplined and does not shoot themselves in the foot”
West Point cadets might have something to do with that discipline

It really was. Other than Price I don’t remember seeing that level of enthusiasm throughout the city. Walden had EP pumped up and excited.
You might be too young but the three years Stull was here were better than Price IMO. Even in his first year though not a winning record you could tell that there was something there, they competed. Every year was incrementally better.

I remember the Air Force game in late November to get to 10 wins the city was so deliriously fired up for that game. That was the pinnacle of UTEP football IMO. After winning that game we promptly came back down to Earth losing to Bret Favre and Southern Miss (badly) and losing Bob Stull to Missouri after that. To top it off we pass on Mike Shanahan and hire David (wrap-around draw) Lee, sigh.

You might be too young but the three years Stull was here were better than Price IMO. Even in his first year though not a winning record you could tell that there was something there, they competed. Every year was incrementally better.

I remember the Air Force game in late November to get to 10 wins the city was so deliriously fired up for that game. That was the pinnacle of UTEP football IMO. After winning that game we promptly came back down to Earth losing to Bret Favre and Southern Miss (badly) and losing Bob Stull to Missouri after that. To top it off we pass on Mike Shanahan and hire David (wrap-around draw) Lee, sigh.
>>and losing Bob Stull to Missouri after that.

Not to take anything away from the head coach, but losing Andy Reid and Dirk Koetter might have hurt worse.

Wasn’t that the game that Tony Tolbert made a goal line stop as time expired?

Ditto. The Airforce game was major college football environment and did not disappoint. Came down to the wire and we stopped Airforce at the goal line to get to a bowl game in an era when there were very few.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT