ADVERTISEMENT

What this team needs is enthusiasm.

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
They need positivity, they need to pick each other up, they need to get each others backs, they need to encourage each other to make plays and not be critical when someone screws up.

Reason is that playing under the pressure to win at all costs creates tension. It creates fear. It creates indecision and paralysis. Have you ever had to make a 5 foot putt for $1000. It's a lot longer than a 5 foot put when nobody's around. It take a very special athlete to not feel pressure when the lights are on. Most people feel tension and self-doubt under pressure situations. You have to find a way to remove that pressure. The way to do that is by allowing them to make mistakes expecting their teammates to make up for it.

Being a strong leader is a good thing, but knowing when to pick your team up and make them believe they are better than they are is key. These are not pros, who are self motivated. These are young people with insecurities, who might start believing they're second rate.

I'm not saying "just have fun". I'm saying play hard, but if your teammate fumbles, make it up for them. Get it back and show that teammate you have their back.

Metz is out, Jones is limping and the supposed depth of the UTEP O line has been moved around due to injury. Once again the play calling went away from Plinke this past Saturday? Freytag isn't used much and the defense appears pooped out because of the horrid offense.

But hey, Kug wants UTEP to resemble Bailiff's Rice Owls! Hell, UTEP doesn't even look like the Rice Owls from the SWC days when SWC teams drew straws to see who gets Rice for their homecoming game.

Reactions: develman
They need positivity, they need to pick each other up, they need to get each others backs, they need to encourage each other to make plays and not be critical when someone screws up.

Reason is that playing under the pressure to win at all costs creates tension. It creates fear. It creates indecision and paralysis. Have you ever had to make a 5 foot putt for $1000. It's a lot longer than a 5 foot put when nobody's around. It take a very special athlete to not feel pressure when the lights are on. Most people feel tension and self-doubt under pressure situations. You have to find a way to remove that pressure. The way to do that is by allowing them to make mistakes expecting their teammates to make up for it.

Being a strong leader is a good thing, but knowing when to pick your team up and make them believe they are better than they are is key. These are not pros, who are self motivated. These are young people with insecurities, who might start believing they're second rate.

I'm not saying "just have fun". I'm saying play hard, but if your teammate fumbles, make it up for them. Get it back and show that teammate you have their back.

I agree with most of what you said, but this coaching staff has done nothing to put these kids in a position to win. It is demoralizing losing...especially losing big...week after week after week. It isn't always easy to bring forth, or "manufacture" enthusiasm when the vessel is nearly empty. There has to be something to be enthusiastic about...and that may be a difficult task figuring out what that "something" may be.

Not saying roll over and quit. Just pointing out that while in concept I believe you are spot on, in reality, these kids are going to have to dig deep to find it. Hope they do, tho.

Reactions: jdubb66
I agree with most of what you said, but this coaching staff has done nothing to put these kids in a position to win. It is demoralizing losing...especially losing big...week after week after week. It isn't always easy to bring forth, or "manufacture" enthusiasm when the vessel is nearly empty. There has to be something to be enthusiastic about...and that may be a difficult task figuring out what that "something" may be.

Not saying roll over and quit. Just pointing out that while in concept I believe you are spot on, in reality, these kids are going to have to dig deep to find it. Hope they do, tho.
I agree with you. It ain't gonna be easy. But you have to fake it til you make it. Manufacture enthusiasm until it becomes natural. And it probably has to start with the coaches. They need to be over the top positive about their players. What do they have to lose?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT