ADVERTISEMENT

When will Basketball unis match with football?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Football unis are coolest uniforms i ve seen. When will Basketball catch up? I love the football colors and logo.

UofH signed with Jordan brand, which is a smart move. How come UTEP women's basketball have Jordan brand?

And why is every football marketing ad on Twitter has Nike and Coach D's signature? I guess we've come a long way from having no marketing at all.

i just thought the logo and colors that football team is using was gonna also be used by the basketall team.

im talking about the white helmet and blue axe. It would have been cool if basketball team used this color and theme. Well to be honest i didnt see alot of games this year. Did they use anything new?

59b415bd45e23820008b619f-1536-1152.jpg

I'll bet we go with more orange going forward. Especially since they are brightening our orange.
I LOVE the pic on the helmets.

UTEP has a discount supplier deal with Nike and has to buy all of its uniforms. Nike does not give them to UTEP like it does to other schools.

The women have Jordan brand because UTEP paid for it. They are not a Jordan brand school like UH is going to be.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
There will be a lot of change in atmosphere, in my opinion. We have a new Athletic Director, new football coach and staff, new basketball coach and staff, even a new head band director.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Once Tim Floyd arrived the uniforms went bland. Very basic looking especially the UTEP wording.

Oh so now everything is Tim Floyds fault? Is it also Tim Floyds fault that Chicos Tacos changed their plates and are using a different typeof cheese?

Oh so now everything is Tim Floyds fault? Is it also Tim Floyds fault that Chicos Tacos changed their plates and are using a different typeof cheese?
Actually yes. How were the uniforms and intros under Barbee? The boring style was all Floyd. He was in charge of the program. Excitement was the least of his concern (as it was for Haskins).

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I knows we can blame Floyd for a lot but you have to give credit where credit is due: he did a great job retiring basketball numbers and honoring the past miner legends. Those retired/honored numbers look great hanging from the Haskins Center rafters.

What? Kenny was replaced? When?

The legendary Kenny Capshaw has been retired for some time and only stayed on for the university until they could find a permanent replacement. 2016-17 was to be his last year, but the hire fell through and he did another year. The permanent replacement was finally hired so Kenny is back in retirement. I got to talk to him a lot in Frisco at the tournament. It was his last hurrah.

UTEP has a discount supplier deal with Nike and has to buy all of its uniforms. Nike does not give them to UTEP like it does to other schools.

The women have Jordan brand because UTEP paid for it. They are not a Jordan brand school like UH is going to be.

That's not true UTEP gets free uniforms from nike. Under our contract UTEP gets 150,000 worth of uniforms shoes and apparel free. The football coach gets 30,000 from nike and up to 30,000 in custom nike gear to wear on the sidelines. Kugler wore a new of custom nike's each game. Outside of the football coach and free gear the school is not compensated monetarily by nike. The football contract expires in July. They basketball in May of 2019. The football staff wants to continue with nike. They think it helps in recruiting and prominently feature the swoosh on all of their recruiting material.

The legendary Kenny Capshaw has been retired for some time and only stayed on for the university until they could find a permanent replacement. 2016-17 was to be his last year, but the hire fell through and he did another year. The permanent replacement was finally hired so Kenny is back in retirement. I got to talk to him a lot in Frisco at the tournament. It was his last hurrah.

The band needs an update. They had a good thing going years back but they slowly reverted back into being an overglorified HS Marching band.

We need a new announcer someone younger to get the crowd going. He (like our home cheap-ass uniforms) has the personality of a soap dish...

Reactions: axingfools1
That's not true UTEP gets free uniforms from nike. Under our contract UTEP gets 150,000 worth of uniforms shoes and apparel free. The football coach gets 30,000 from nike and up to 30,000 in custom nike gear to wear on the sidelines. Kugler wore a new of custom nike's each game. Outside of the football coach and free gear the school is not compensated monetarily by nike. The football contract expires in July. They basketball in May of 2019. The football staff wants to continue with nike. They think it helps in recruiting and prominently feature the swoosh on all of their recruiting material.
Sources say Kugs was a big Nike Air Max Fan for the record apart of his custom gear lol

We need a new announcer someone younger to get the crowd going. He (like our home cheap-ass uniforms) has the personality of a soap dish...
Can we stop telling everybody to stand up for defense before the second half because it's a tradition (like we don't know)?

Also do we always have to mention that we are the only team in Texas blah blah blah. The banner hangs over our head. We don't have to cling to it.

The sound, volume control, intro and in-game music/beats/clips need a makeover too.

Remember when the DJ was there for a few games last year? I only heard him play for about 1 minute.

I haven’t been to a b-ball game in years cause well I moved away 4 years ago. Do they play music now during actual game play? I’m old school when it comes to that, there should be no music blasting while live play going on, unless it’s an organ like in Madison Square Garden.

These are all questions and complaints that should have been brought up to the many town hall meeting Senter had recently. These are just plain annoying now. That's all this forum has been for the past couple of years. You had your chance, this falls on deaf ears!

Jo, reading isn't your strong point, eh? jq said....."I moved away 4 years ago"

Not everyone can attend every town hall like you have done. Oh btw, damn near every town hall had the same questions/comments.

Ax, tag Senter on twitter. He will see it.

I haven’t been to a b-ball game in years cause well I moved away 4 years ago. Do they play music now during actual game play? I’m old school when it comes to that, there should be no music blasting while live play going on, unless it’s an organ like in Madison Square Garden.

It's an NCAA rules violation to play music during gameplay.

In the end you can’t satisfy everyone. Old school fans want a certain presentation. The younger fans want something else.

Sorry I shouldn't have wrote 'in game music' because that is not done in the NCAA (like Cube mentioned). However, there needs to be better control of the sound system and readiness to get the crowd pumped after a great UTEP play/run that leads into a break or a timeout. There needs to be a better lead up to play so fans and players don't lose their excitement in the moment. Aside from the not playing music or beats during play, it would be easy to watch NBA games for multiple ideas. First the sound system needs to be upgraded and that may take time, but others measures can be taken now.

And to those who have deaf ears, please don't assume that I haven't had direct contact with UTEP's athletic administration. I have made numerous suggestions in the past and present. Of course different people may have different opinions or priorities, but I'm happy to listen to yours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT