ADVERTISEMENT

When will Roderick Williams arrive at UTEP?

Bigwood...? Any recent word from Darby in regards to RW?
Nope, not a peep.

Kinda agree with UTEPDefense, maybe he didn't want to go through another summer school session, but its odd since practice is starting soon for Costa Rica.

It's not a UTEP basketball off-season with a lil bit of drama!! :)

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If he did in fact gwaduate it would be gwatifying if he had the gwit to gwind it out and gwacefully gwab the gweat chance for gweatness. I think we all agwee that he has the tools for gwipping career.

Not sure if anyone else saw this but 5* center, Mitchell Robinson who signed with WKU, has left the program. Cleaned out his locker and bolted. Couldn't find an explanation as of yet. That's a big hit to WKU.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Not sure if anyone else saw this but 5* center, Mitchell Robinson who signed with WKU, has left the program. Cleaned out his locker and bolted. Couldn't find an explanation as of yet. That's a big hit to WKU.
giphy.gif

Dammit I beat me to it as western Kentucky found their Isaac hamilton

Reactions: mikesarabia
Too bad for WKU. Not sure how to link it but Steve Kaplowitz wrote a brief article about Williams not being on campus yet. Basically, if he doesn't show in a few days then hope that he shows for the regular school year. Im ok with that, but I also think UTEP should make some kind of statement if he is not here next week for practice.

Too bad for WKU. Not sure how to link it but Steve Kaplowitz wrote a brief article about Williams not being on campus yet. Basically, if he doesn't show in a few days then hope that he shows for the regular school year. Im ok with that, but I also think UTEP should make some kind of statement if he is not here next week for practice.

Floyd will tell you what he wants when he wants to.

Heard he's been on campus, but went back home and is expected to return for the fall semester..

Fall semester? Has anyone told him we're playing a tournament in Costa Rica in a couple of weeks?

Since when does a student athlete get to dictate when he comes in? If grades/graduation were the issue, then it would make sense, however, that's not the case. This situation is not of the norm. Kids don't call the shots. Starting to wonder if this kid is even worth it at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
Since when does a student athlete get to dictate when he comes in? If grades/graduation were the issue, then it would make sense, however, that's not the case. This situation is not of the norm. Kids don't call the shots. Starting to wonder if this kid is even worth it at this point.
Maybe there was a problem in his personal life that he has to address. If UTEP would just say something then we would know and we could stop speculating. Floyd just wants everybody to "trust" him. He never gets ahead of the issues publicly so most don't trust him. Problem is his track record of no-shows and players leaving UTEP. This was the root of his whole spat with Kaplowitz. You would think he would learn by now and have some respect for the "knowledgable fans".

I still have high hopes with Williams. He could be a big part of the future here at UTEP. If he shows up in September that's fine. Why is he missing this summer and the Costa Rica trip? No word from him, UTEP or anybody with access to UTEP MBB smells bad. Its leaving a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Maybe there was a problem in his personal life that he has to address. If UTEP would just say something then we would know and we could stop speculating. Floyd just wants everybody to "trust" him. He never gets ahead of the issues publicly so most don't trust him. Problem is his track record of no-shows and players leaving UTEP. This was the root of his whole spat with Kaplowitz. You would think he would learn by now and have some respect for the "knowledgable fans".

I still have high hopes with Williams. He could be a big part of the future here at UTEP. If he shows up in September that's fine. Why is he missing this summer and the Costa Rica trip? No word from him, UTEP or anybody with access to UTEP MBB smells bad. Its leaving a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Floyd isn't going to change, so why frustrate yourself hoping he will?

I might buy that as a possibility except that UTEP officials had the opportunity to inform us by saying "RW is addressing some issues at the time, but we expect him to register for the fall". Instead, what was released was something to the effect of, "RW did not register for summer 2". Nothing else, if I remember correctly. Perhaps because of recent history, I have little to no hope that this works out favorably.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Based on history, it's a scenario that has no positive spin. The familiar "hush" from the athletic department speaks negative tones, once again. It's simply mind boggling that they either aren't capable of explanations or don't give a damn about their fan support which they must know is tenuous.

It's amazing how people get mind boggling and frustrated because a
recruit doesn't show up. Just let it be, in the end we are still miner fans.
Lets just hope for the best with what we got.
There are things we can not change.

Go miners...

It's amazing how people get mind boggling and frustrated because a
recruit doesn't show up. Just let it be, in the end we are still miner fans.
Lets just hope for the best with what we got.
There are things we can not change.

Go miners...

I always say, if you want to read factual info, read a stat sheet. If you want to read speculation and opinion, you're in the right place.

Amazes me that anyone would expect different on a sports forum.

Well, based on this photo from just this morning, with practice set to start tomorrow, doesn't look like Williams will be part of the Costa Rica trip. Don't mean to alarm anyone but I don't see Hudson Urbanus either.

DGZFsToUAAIkLxT.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: unihorn
Where was the photo taken? Is that Kelvin Jones in the back behind Osbourne and Tirus Smith in front of Willms?

Where was the photo taken? Is that Kelvin Jones in the back behind Osbourne and Tirus Smith in front of Willms?

Already been established that Jones isn't in the pic but pretty sure that's St. Pierre behind Osborne and you are correct about who Smith is.

St. Pierre is between Trey Wade and an unknown team member to his right. The tall guy behind Osborne, if not Jones, is unknown to me. He also appears to tower above Osborne and is even taller than St. Pierre. And no, that is NOT Patrick Kugler next to him.

St. Pierre is between Trey Wade and an unknown team member to his right. The tall guy behind Osborne, if not Jones, is unknown to me. He also appears to tower above Osborne and is even taller than St. Pierre. And no, that is NOT Patrick Kugler next to him.

It looks like there's a step back there he might be standing on?

I always say, if you want to read factual info, read a stat sheet. If you want to read speculation and opinion, you're in the right place.

Amazes me that anyone would expect different on a sports forum.

It's just amazing that some people make it sound like it's the end of the world.
I get a kick out of it.

It's just amazing that some people make it sound like it's the end of the world.
I get a kick out of it.

Fair enough. That would be kind of funny to see/read. I guess I just haven't seen anyone get too bent out of shape about it. A little frustration...and understandably so. Even though we can't do shit about these situations as fans, there is an emotional investment in what happens. At least for me there is. Guess I can't speak for anybody else.

Let me ask you an honest question. Do you get as disappointed when shit goes wrong (starting a season losing to SE LA, NW St, etc) as you get elated when shit goes right (making it into the Dance)?

Last edited:
Back in May of this year, I asked who would be the first recruit to leave the Program? If you would have selected Roderick Williams, then you would be firmly in the drivers seat at this moment. Lil Train gets the credit for coming closest to selecting him, as in that thread he responded that he had seen some attitude in Williams play that he didn't like.

Back in May of this year, I asked who would be the first recruit to leave the Program? If you would have selected Roderick Williams, then you would be firmly in the drivers seat at this moment. Lil Train gets the credit for coming closest to selecting him, as in that thread he responded that he had seen some attitude in Williams play that he didn't like.
I had actually forgotten about that UTEPDefense. Williams decision to not come really hurts all sides. First, Williams would need to be granted his release, and he may end up losing a year of eligibility. On the UTEP side, we would be potentially losing our top recruit, and at the same time, we also lost a kid in Barrett who I thought could contribute. Some argument can be made that he transferred up to UTA. Plus, he gets to play at home. In any event, we are again having to wonder what could have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minerforlife
So if you fast forward to the 7 min mark of this video, add the one and only Jesus Christ to the UTEP basketball reasons for leaving pile right next to sick grandma's, girlfriends who live in Wyoming, and pro contracts in Islamabad.

Wait, so Williams was here one full day, God told him to go back to LA, and then he just left a note on his pillow and took off?

What a bi*ch. He didn't even have the balls to tell TF to his face. We don't need players like him on the team. Good riddance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT