ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't Touchet transfer?

Tucson_Miner

MI Regular
Nov 24, 2004
he always looks pissed and is not nice to the other players on the bench. He contributes 0 when he's on the floor. Deon Barrett should take ALL of his minutes. But Floyd and Johnson LOVE Touchet and Flaggert and only God knows why.

Touchet can play. He didn't show it tonight but he is one of our only players that can take it to the hoop whenever he wants.

Agree with jdubb. Touchet has been getting around 8 or 9pts a game on avg, which is right where you'd expect him to be as a Soph.

We should praise the kids who are actually willing to stay with this program, instead of blasting them on this forum.

Agree with jdubb. Touchet has been getting around 8 or 9pts a game on avg, which is right where you'd expect him to be as a Soph.

We should praise the kids who are actually willing to stay with this program, instead of blasting them on this forum.

He's averaging a little over 5 points per game.

Nothing against him, but I have never been impressed with Touchet.

He's had a couple games where he's seen almost no minutes, which affects his avg. When he's in the game regularly, we usually see about 8pts on avg from him. Nothing earth shattering, but needed on a team which has few scorers. Believe me-- Barrett isn't going to put up 25pts a game every night, so I'll take points wherever they come from.

Either way, I always said trey was the type of player who will pay dividends by his Jr year. Kid can hit from anywhere on the floor, has decent ball skills, can drive to the rim, and can hit free throws. He hasn't put it all together with consistency yet, but I think he'll grow into one of those BYU type players as he gets older...or at least I hope so.

Flaggert on the other hand has one skill on offense, which is the set 3-ball. He'll help us out at times throughout his career, but only when he has one of his hot shooting nights

I wasn't able to catch much of the game last night, but you have to really like what Barrett was able to do. It says a lot about a guy who, as a true freshman, has the maturity to step up in that type of environment. It is just one game, but that was really great to see. He is very undersized, but is pesky on defense. I think it is likely we will see more of the three guard lineup. Artis and Omega (to a lesser extent), should be able to handle most SF defensively. I do think that if Barrett continues to develop, he will quickly jump over Touchet in the rotation. Again, nothing against Touchet or Flaggert personally, I think they are better suited as strictly role players. I would have Touchet ahead of Flaggert as well. If Flaggert is not hitting from the outside, he should be sitting because he is a huge liability in other areas.

Reactions: unihorn and UTEP05
In all fairness I would guess because they are respectful and probably work hard everyday. That doesn't make them good bb players, though.

Thank you, ditto that sentiment! He was offered a scholarship and should be honored to the student athlete who keeps up his end of the deal but D1 ability may be questionable. So he's not having the break out year that was anticipated but Haskins recruited many players who were never projected to start, but Haskins brought them in to make sure the starters sweat and worked hard every damned day during practice.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
U
Thank you, ditto that sentiment! He was offered a scholarship and should be honored to the student athlete who keeps up is end of the deal but D1 ability may be questionable. So he's not having the break out year that was anticipated but Haskins recruited many players who were never projected to start, but Haskins brought them in to make sure the starters sweat and worked hard every damned day during practice.

Touchet = Gym Bice.

Gym was much better, but yes. I will never forget his steel calmness against Georgetown (that had Mourning and Dikembe at the time) that helped pull off that sweet, sweet upset.

Touchet = Gym Bice.
Gym Bice was a solid point guard (great assist-to-turnover ratio) and a great contributor, including on the '92 sweet sixteen team. He wasn't a flashy scorer but you knew whenever left open from three that it was going in. There's always a spot on the team for a Gym Bice!

Gym was much better, but yes. I will never forget his steel calmness against Georgetown (that had Mourning and Dikembe at the time) that helped pull off that sweet, sweet upset.

That is very debatable. Bice averaged 3.8 points per game on that team that went to the 91-92 team that went to the sweet sixteen. All he could do was hit the 3...and obviously not many. Loved his hustle and so did Haskins. He was a glue guy.

That is very debatable. Bice averaged 3.8 points per game on that team that went to the 91-92 team that went to the sweet sixteen. All he could do was hit the 3...and obviously not many. Loved his hustle and so did Haskins. He was a glue guy.
Assist-to-turnover ratio. He could very effectively run the offense, and it's always nice to have somebody come in and do that.

Assist-to-turnover ratio. He could very effectively run the offense, and it's always nice to have somebody come in and do that.

He was a zero risk - low reward player. Could not drive and dish to save his life. Had minimal turnovers because he took no chances.

Still liked his defensive effort tho.

He was a zero risk - low reward player. Could not drive and dish to save his life. Had minimal turnovers because he took no chances.

Still liked his defensive effort tho.
As few turnovers as he had, he still had almost thrice the assists. That tells me at least that he knew how to run the offense. Sometimes the game situation calls for a dynamic player, but sometimes it calls for a steady hand, don't you think?

As few turnovers as he had, he still had almost thrice the assists. That tells me at least that he knew how to run the offense. Sometimes the game situation calls for a dynamic player, but sometimes it calls for a steady hand, don't you think?

Yes, a steady hand is what is called for at times. All I'm contending is that Bice was not "much better" than Touchet.

Bice had more people to dish to that could actually score. His assists were mostly whipping the ball around the 3 point line. Low risk, not hard to do. I remember him like he played yesterday. He was pretty equal to Touchet imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT