ADVERTISEMENT

Will the UTEP Costa Rica Games be viewable?

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Will the UTEP Costa Rica games be viewable? If not live, will they be posted on youtube or something afterwards?

Are they playing like a tourament or are they just friendly games.

Well I suppose that's better than nothing. I would have preferred if they at minimum had someone periscope or Facebook livestream the game. The quality wouldn't be very good but at least we could kind of see how the team is developing.

No streams on any sites. Like Wisconsin said above, Twitter account UTEBMBB has the only media updates out there

Not sure what you take away from a loss like this. On one hand, you can say we played a bunch of new guys (while tweaking with different lineups) against a team with some experience against D1 competition.

On the other hand, you would hope that our size, talent, and athleticism would be enough to carry us through.

A little background on this McGill team from this tour.

They beat Kent St 85-79. Kent St finished 22-14 last season. They did win the MAC tournament and earned a trip to the NCAA.

They lost to Towson but I can't find the final score. Towson finished last season 20-13. They compete in the CAA.

They also lost to SMU in OT 86-83. SMU was ranked #11 and finished 30-5. They won both the regular season and conference tournament championships.

They lost to Alabama 96-57. The Crimson Tide finshed 19-15 last season. They lost in the first round of the NIT at home.

That's all the current information I can find on them.

Miners held McGill to 31% and 19% shooting, but got outrebounded and shot poorly themselves. Omega and Wade scored a combined 9 points. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let's see how they play tomorrow.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Not sure what you take away from a loss like this. On one hand, you can say we played a bunch of new guys (while tweaking with different lineups) against a team with some experience against D1 competition.

On the other hand, you would hope that our size, talent, and athleticism would be enough to carry us through.
I take away that I' m very disappointed. Bad fg%, outboarded 42-33 and Mc Gill had nine offensive boards. Both team's players had PT distributed equally. The only plus I can scrounge up is that this was our first game and their fifth. Lost to Alabama by 39, SMU in OT, Towson by 31?????? Wow! and beat Kent State by six.

Corona, were you at the game? What's your take?

I take away that I' m very disappointed. Bad fg%, outboarded 42-33 and Mc Gill had nine offensive boards. Both team's players had PT distributed equally. The only plus I can scrounge up is that this was our first game and their fifth. Lost to Alabama by 39, SMU in OT, Towson by 31?????? Wow! and beat Kent State by six.

Corona, were you at the game? What's your take?
No I wish. If I had the privilege to travel to Costa Rica I would have dropped my twitter handle on here and live streamed the game. Just a regular Joe glued to the Men's basketball twitter page.

My take is tomorrow we will beat them. They're warmed up and in better game shape. We started cold. Played from behind made a couple of comebacks. Had a few chances to win at the end.

This is exactly the type of games we've become accustomed to. I hope this season we hit a few more buzzer beating shots.

Reactions: unihorn
From the pictures that were posted, it appeared that the team did a lot of walking and sight-seeing today. Basically they did the exact opposite of "staying off their legs" on game day. This also happened after nearly a full day of traveling. I am glad that they are getting to enjoy this experience and fit in as much as they can. It is also great for us to have something unique to follow in August, but as USAF asked eariler, I am not sure how much we can really read into these games?

The bigger question in my mind, is how serious is Gilyard's shoulder injury? My only other thought is that Willms played a little more than I would have expected for this being just an exhibition and Paul Thomas continuing his foul trouble issues is not the best sign.

I am not concerned with how The Miners played today. I am sure they will win tomorrow. This will only help the team down the road.

Last edited:
The stats were pretty bad overall, but a couple of others stand out as well. In a combined 33 minutes of play, Flaggert and Touchet had 0 points, attempted 0 freethrows, were 0-6 from the field, committed 8 fouls, had 4 rebs and 4 assists. Thomas again fouled out in 20 minutes. Pretty brutal even for an exhibition game, considering these guys are returners. Let's see how it goes today.

Last edited:
McGill is a so so team, but a so so team with several games under their belts. This is UTEP's first game against another team. Should we expect the Miners to go for wins or go for game minutes for all the new players? Coach Floyd could be using this as glorified practice time and time meshing the new and returning players. Another thought is, do we want to see them come out like gangbusters early in the season just to peter out in conference play? I'd rather see them scrapping for a win at the end of the season.

Most importantly they didn't use the contest winner's starting lineup. They started Harris, Wilms, Thomas, Touchet and Flaggart.

So what was the purpose of the contest?

Most importantly they didn't use the contest winner's starting lineup. They started Harris, Wilms, Thomas, Touchet and Flaggart.

So what was the purpose of the contest?

The winner was the creator of the "Fire Floyd" banner Mike Price attacked?! I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Floyd used different rotations is what I gathered from pre-game talk a day earlier and during the twitter feed. So I think it's fair to say this was not approached like UTEP going into a January matchup against MTSU.

McGill came out smoking hot and shot lights out on UTEP. UTEP caught up but McGill hung around and hung around and McGill got hot again at the right time with just few minutes left in the game. Judging from the twitter video McGill totally shut down UTEP's inbound play from the side for a final second shot and forced Omega to heave an air ball near half court. It was pretty ugly and was text book inbound defense by McGill.

UTEP gas good size but there needs to be some gelling really fast before fall rolls around.

It's an exhibition for God's sake. Wins or losses matter none. Everyone plays. Why would they stay off their legs. It's not a business trip.

Oh wow, so once again MinerJo only posts when he wants to complain about something.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong point. Absolutely nobody on this entire board has complained about the team's performance or loss last night, yet you come out with a "It's an exhibition for Gods sake" post???

BTW, after mentioning that they had apparently spent much of the day on their feet sight seeing, I even clearly said "I am glad that they are getting to enjoy this experience and fit in as much as they can".
The fact that UTEP didnt stay off their feet after a full day of travel reinforces that they are treating these games as exhibitions and that we should also read the results as such. Having no legs was also a legitimate excuse for why they may have had a poor shooting performance last night, therefore it was a valid thing to mention. Sorry that you were unable to understand this and felt the need to make a post defending a position that absolutely nobody was contending.

Last edited:
Reactions: sportsfan5000
I don't think you guys fully appreciate the basketball tradition at McGill -- James Naismith is an alumnus.

Looks like McGill hit 14/31 three point baskets, while we were 5/22. Tough to win any game with that disparity. Looks like there is plenty of work to do at both ends.

Twitter UTEPMBB says we play British Columbia tomorrow at 11:30, but BC site says we play them Saturday at 3PT?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT