ADVERTISEMENT

Will the UTEP Costa Rica Games be viewable?

I know Magee hit 2, Flags hit 1, Osborne went 1/7 and don't know who made the other.

Ouch Osborne on 3s:

DHeS4NpVYAASLYO.jpg

One thing we can infer up to this point is that Osborne is not shy/timid on the offensive end.

Dominick (point guard play) was the biggest reason for the turnaround last year so it's imperative that we get great point guard play or even with the additions the season will be a huge disappointment.

Oh wow, so once again MinerJo only posts when he wants to complain about something.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong point. Absolutely nobody on this entire board has complained about the team's performance or loss last night, yet you come out with a "It's an exhibition for Gods sake" post???

BTW, after mentioning that they had apparently spent much of the day on their feet sight seeing, I even clearly said "I am glad that they are getting to enjoy this experience and fit in as much as they can".
The fact that UTEP didnt stay off their feet after a full day of travel reinforces that they are treating these games as exhibitions and that we should also read the results as such. Having no legs was also a legitimate excuse for why they may have had a poor shooting performance last night, therefore it was a valid thing to mention. Sorry that you were unable to understand this and felt the need to make a post defending a position that absolutely nobody was contending.
Didn't mean to get your panties in a wad, sorry. What I meant is don't take it so serious. It's a gelling experience, and soon enough you'll be able to bitch and moan about real games.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
More good news from Costa Rica. It was reported that Gilyard may need shoulder surgery. Reports say Magee looked comfortable running the offense.

What level of NCAA play would these Canadian teams be comparable to? Division II? Lower Division I?

More good news from Costa Rica. It was reported that Gilyard may need shoulder surgery. Reports say Magee looked comfortable running the offense.

Everyone better have that special bottle by their side during the games. It's going to be another frustrating year.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Everyone better have that special bottle by their side during the games. It's going to be another frustrating year.
Definitely bad news on Gilyard. I did not expect Artis-like production from both Gilyard and Magee combined, but now just having Magee will be tough if it comes to that. It may already be too late, but a grad transfer would be something to explore; similar to what the Aggies did recently. I doubt that will happen.

With regard to yesterday's game, based on the playing time distribution, I came out feeling even worse. The starters actually played heavy minutes, unlike the first game. Some of this was due to Willms and Gilyard being out. So, to me, the loss wasn't a case of playing a ton of guys. Instead, it was a case of getting beat straight up; with the guys that will be getting heavy minutes in the regular season. McGill beat us playing slow the first game, and then beat us playing fast the second game. Not good in my opinion even this early. Let's see how it goes today.

Last edited:
Now that we have Osborne and Wade, could Omega play some point? He damn sure can dribble-drive and finish, so at least he'd have to be defended as a legit scoring threat.

Now that we have Osborne and Wade, could Omega play some point? He damn sure can dribble-drive and finish, so at least he'd have to be defended as a legit scoring threat.
I think thats a great idea. With the wing players and interior we have I don't see why not. Omega is our best player with the ball in his hands. He is more mature and is a good passer. He can shoot, drive and score.

If Gilyard needs surgery then so be it. The PGs should be staggered anyway. One of them could redshirt together with St. Pierre.

I'm not worried about these games. Its just practice. They don't count for anything other than some coaching opportunities and bonding experience. The team will be better from it in the end.

Reactions: miner1liner
I think thats a great idea. With the wing players and interior we have I don't see why not. Omega is our best player with the ball in his hands. He is more mature and is a good passer. He can shoot, drive and score.

If Gilyard needs surgery then so be it. The PGs should be staggered anyway. One of them could redshirt together with St. Pierre.

I'm not worried about these games. Its just practice. They don't count for anything other than some coaching opportunities and bonding experience. The team will be better from it in the end.

Omega can also drive and dish, creating shots for the bigs.

The way I see it -- a "good" team should beat McGill handily, regardless of circumstance or strategy. We're supposed to have players that can compete at the highest level, so they should be able to handle a team like McGill even though they're using this time as a practice/ bonding experience.

I didn't have a ton of expectations for this season though. We have a decent crop of returning players, but not enough talent or experience in key positions. My guess is that our season will look similar to last year.

I just wish that Floyd was on some sort of hot seat. This would be an NCAA bid or bust season for any other coach in this situation.

The way I see it -- a "good" team should beat McGill handily, regardless of circumstance or strategy.
Even a good team can have a bad outing, or McGill can shoot lights-out in any particular outing. But a good team certainly shouldn't lose to McGill two games in a row.

That being said, a bad team can become a good team (I mean, see last year).

The way I see it -- a "good" team should beat McGill handily, regardless of circumstance or strategy. We're supposed to have players that can compete at the highest level, so they should be able to handle a team like McGill even though they're using this time as a practice/ bonding experience.

I didn't have a ton of expectations for this season though. We have a decent crop of returning players, but not enough talent or experience in key positions. My guess is that our season will look similar to last year.

I just wish that Floyd was on some sort of hot seat. This would be an NCAA bid or bust season for any other coach in this situation.
Agreed. Keep in mind, the other teams are also there for the bonding experience, and the other coaches are experimenting with lineups as well. Also, I am sure Willms and Osborne are very familiar with many of these players who are also from Canada. Many of whom I bet dream about being on a D1 US college team.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Should we be a "little" encouraged at the moment? Against UBC right now it was 23 all at the end of the first period. At the half it's 39-27. We outscored them 16-4 in the 2nd quarter. Who knows the details though...maybe they had four one-legged players on the court.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Should we be a "little" encouraged at the moment? Against UBC right now it was 23 all at the end of the first period. At the half it's 39-27. We outscored them 16-4 in the 2nd quarter. Who knows the details though...maybe they had four one-legged players on the court.
Looks like poor Tirus lost a couple of teeth in the first half. On what may be a positive note, Gilyard did dress for the game but has not played.

Classic Floyd underplaying the 1-2 record in CR. I'd play to win every game.

I thought I saw somewhere (don't recall where) yesterday that UBC ended their 2016/17 season with a record of
26-4.Tried to research it some more this morning, but all I could find was that at one point their record was 19 and 1 which apparently was the best in Canada. Couldn't find McGill at all. Don't know what this means except that we have all been concerned about the Costa Rica outcome, but yet we apparently beat one of Canada's best teams while losing twice to a team I couldn't find in the list of teams going to their post season playoffs.
Maybe someone out there has some answers.

To answer my own questions...I found that both schools appear to be perennial top dogs in Canadian basketball. I think UBC won the national in previous years.

Reactions: JCorona
Crazy how critical people get on scrimmage games. You all must really get into pre season football. I'd rather watch paint dry, that's how meaningless these games are to me.

Crazy how critical people get on scrimmage games. You all must really get into pre season football. I'd rather watch paint dry, that's how meaningless these games are to me.
If you aren't an avid fan, I agree with not being into exhibitions, but those who are... see everything from a different perspective. Evaluating the assembling of new additions to the team is always great sport to me and others.
You, on the other hand obviously are somewhere else.
Pre season football is nowhere close to being similar to these games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT