ADVERTISEMENT

WKU gets H&H with Arkansas

Against my better judgement, I'll reply.

The way I understand it, Floyd never wanted to play home and home against the big schools. (not many anyway) He wanted to pad the schedule the way Haskins did with easy teams. Unfortunately, we lost some of those too.

I am hoping Terry is different and gets better schools to come here, especially since I have season tickets. The schedule is probably pretty much set for this coming season, but let's see.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I think Floyd only wanted home and homes. Remember he turned down playing at UK in 2016. I hope they play more P5 schools now, whether there’s return games or not.

UTEP has always painted a picture that schools are afraid to come here or take a loss. It’s simply not true. UTEP would rather schedule trash teams than risk losing

Reactions: El Paso 1
Utep played a lof of good teams at home and on the road during floyds time. Arkansas isnt really that big of a power .

I think Floyd only wanted home and homes. Remember he turned down playing at UK in 2016. I hope they play more P5 schools now, whether there’s return games or not.

UTEP has always painted a picture that schools are afraid to come here or take a loss. It’s simply not true. UTEP would rather schedule trash teams than risk losing

Actually in 2016, Floyd was going to play Kentucky in Maryland for the 50 year anniversary of the '66 championship then Kentucky backed out. Floyd then tried to play them in Lexington and Kentucky declined again. Kentucky won't ever play UTEP willingly because it will bring negative attention to them due to the social aspects of '66. The only way the 2 teams could potentially meet again would be in tournament play.

I dislike Floyd as much as anyone but he did not turn down playing at UK.

Actually in 2016, Floyd was going to play Kentucky in Maryland for the 50 year anniversary of the '66 championship then Kentucky backed out. Floyd then tried to play them in Lexington and Kentucky declined again. Kentucky won't ever play UTEP willingly because it will bring negative attention to them due to the social aspects of '66. The only way the 2 teams could potentially meet again would be in tournament play.

I dislike Floyd as much as anyone but he did not turn down playing at UK.

That’s not true. Cal said they could come play in Lexington, but he wouldn’t play them in Maryland. Floyd said no.

http://krod.com/utep-should-not-travel-to-kentucky-for-famed-rematch-next-season-opinion/

I seem to remember that Haskins would play anyone he could schedule, good bad home or away. The big schools didn't want to face a Haskins coached team. It was a bad win or a worse loss for them. Floyd never turned UTEP into the threat that Haskins did. Floyd
did manage a few good wins, but not enough. His teams had some bad losses in there, too. But it was Kentucky that backed out of the game in 2016 for the anniversary. They had nothing to gain and a lot to lose. I'll bet Calipari offered Kentucky as the site just so the monkey would be on Floyd's back in turning it down. Down playing UTEP's glory.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
They only backed out of the game in Maryland, UTEP could have gone to Lex Vegas if they wanted. Didn’t you read the link I posted? It’s over and done with now.

Times were different when Haskins coached. Power teams didn’t play in 14 team conferences with the best of the best. They can schedule tough non-conference go .500, then go .500 in conference play and be in the mix for an NCAA or NIT bid now.

Back then, they didn’t want to come here because we were good and they could pick up a home win, instead of risking a loss. Kentucky could be #5 in the country and loss at home to Lamar and still be a Top 25 team because of the rest of their schedule and perception that they’re a good team.

UTEP needs to schedule and beat P5 teams if they want to be a “basketball school” again.

They only backed out of the game in Maryland, UTEP could have gone to Lex Vegas if they wanted. Didn’t you read the link I posted? It’s over and done with now.

Times were different when Haskins coached. Power teams didn’t play in 14 team conferences with the best of the best. They can schedule tough non-conference go .500, then go .500 in conference play and be in the mix for an NCAA or NIT bid now.

Back then, they didn’t want to come here because we were good and they could pick up a home win, instead of risking a loss. Kentucky could be #5 in the country and loss at home to Lamar and still be a Top 25 team because of the rest of their schedule and perception that they’re a good team.

UTEP needs to schedule and beat P5 teams if they want to be a “basketball school” again.

Not being a dik when I say, that was the most objective post I can remember you posting, and I have to agree with all of it.

Floyd then said on his radio show that he tried to schedule it in Lexington and was denied. I was there at the Pershing Inn when he said this but have no audio proof that is was said. Take my word for it or don't

It’s quite possible he said that then, but he also was on record many times saying he only does “home and homes”. This is the same coach that scheduled D3 Louisiana College 2 years in a row!

I’m telling you this, no P5 team is afraid of scheduling the Miners at their place (right now), UTEP just doesn’t want to. Maybe that will change in the future, but UTEP could at play Arizona St for 1 game if they wanted to. We’ll see when the schedule comes out, but it will have multiple crappy games and then we’ll hear the same old excuses.

Floyd then said on his radio show that he tried to schedule it in Lexington and was denied. I was there at the Pershing Inn when he said this but have no audio proof that is was said. Take my word for it or don't

Floyd has never lied about anything before. :rolleyes:

The scheduling issues mentioned make sense. In 66 the Miners went all the way and only played 29 games. Teams play 30 games now before they even touch conference tournaments and NCAA or NIT. Back then, a 20 plus win season was an almost automatic bid. Now, a 25 plus win season is no guarantee of anything. Teams schedule differently now because of that. I know everyone on this board loves to nitpick these things to death, so enjoy it. Let's just hope Coach Terry gives us some good things to nitpick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT