ADVERTISEMENT

dominic artis

Absolutely huge for the basketball program. A point guard of his talent changes the whole outlook for this program IMO...

This kid is a stud PG...with baggage. High risk; high reward. If he can fly straight, he is most definitely a program changer.

This kid is a stud PG...with baggage. High risk; high reward. If he can fly straight, he is most definitely a program changer.

I would rather take a kid without baggage, but that's just me. Tim has already struck out way too many times with kids with baggage. He should just play it safe and see what happens instead of gambling with players.

We don't know the whole situation. I trust that Coach made the decision he felt was right. We have an all American point guard enjoy it for 5 minutes. Texas A&M, St Johns, and St Marys wanted him too. Enjoy it and pray for him.

We don't know the whole situation. I trust that Coach made the decision he felt was right. We have an all American point guard enjoy it for 5 minutes. Texas A&M, St Johns, and St Marys wanted him too. Enjoy it and pray for him.

"Artis was one of the three players kicked off of the Oregon team during the spring after being accused of sexual assault by a student at the school."

There it is. He was kicked off the team after being accused of sexual assault. Not a good person in my eyes.

Pray for him? Why would I pray for somebody who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman?

El PASO Chihuhuas this is the only way UTEP can get blue chippers with baggage (not saying we should) just saying usually if we get a top 100 recruit it's either he doesn't have the grades or is a transfer or has some other issues .(again sexual assault is pretty major)

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
was he convicted or did it even go to court? In any case, haven't the miners given other players second chances? Like Chris Sandle and Mike Price? They were accused too. It doesn't hurt to pray man but do whatever you want and have a great night! I am excited we have a top 5 PG. peace!

El PASO Chihuhuas this is the only way UTEP can get blue chippers with baggage (not saying we should) just saying usually if we get a top 100 recruit it's either he doesn't have the grades or is a transfer or has some other issues .(again sexual assault is pretty major)

I agree. I just think it would better to sign a guy without baggage who isn't a Top 100 recruit than gamble.

was he convicted or did it even go to court? In any case, haven't the miners given other players second chances? Like Chris Sandle and Mike Price? They were accused too. It doesn't hurt to pray man but do whatever you want and have a great night! I am excited we have a top 5 PG. peace!

Mike Price wasn't accused of sexual assault.

I would never pray for a guy that was accused of sexual assault.

I did not mean for it to come across that way. I just meant that he was accused of something rather questionable and was given a second chance. Also not sure Chris Sandle was either just remember there was something crazy with him too. I hope it didn't happen. UTEP just seems to be a place for second chances. Hope he represents the university well. He IS a very good player.

Duke lacrosse team, Phi Kappa Psi at U of Virginia, Brian Banks, Paul Nungesser. All falsely accused of rape around a school campus setting. I know zero about this fellow's case but if the law didn't think there was a case to prosecute him then he's likely innocent.

BTW Chihuahua, would you pray for any of the men I mentioned above? They were all accused, all innocent.

Duke lacrosse team, Phi Kappa Psi at U of Virginia, Brian Banks, Paul Nungesser. All falsely accused of rape around a school campus setting. I know zero about this fellow's case but if the law didn't think there was a case to prosecute him then he's likely innocent.

BTW Chihuahua, would you pray for any of the men I mentioned above? They were all accused, all innocent.

Those are just a few examples. Obviously not everybody that is accused of sexually assaulting a woman is guilty of doing that. I just don't think it is wise to bring in a player that is accused of that, but that's just me.

I would pray for them if I knew for sure they didn't do it.

So this cat was booted from the team and school because he was innocent, he probably should sue Oregon then , but of course that's not happening . Bad move by UTEP signing this kid , JMO .

No, that's not obvious from what you wrote earlier. Those I listed are just those I could think up in a minute off the top of my head. Many other lower profile cases are out there.

My point: If they didn't press charges it is likely he did nothing criminal, maybe nothing wrong at all.

No, that's not obvious from what you wrote earlier. Those I listed are just those I could think up in a minute off the top of my head. Many other lower profile cases are out there.

My point: If they didn't press charges it is likely he did nothing criminal, maybe nothing wrong at all.

They did press charges, but the DA didn't have enough evidence for a case.

A lot of people don't press charges out of fear. There are 1000's of people who are assaulted every year who are too scared to even press charges.

So this cat was booted from the team and school because he was innocent, he probably should sue Oregon then , but of course that's not happening . Bad move by UTEP signing this kid , JMO .

The men I cited above were all kicked off campus, (at least for a while) and all innocent. It's the age of political correctness, every claim of rape is to be believed no matter how ludicrous. Again I'll say I have no knowledge of this case other than it was not prosecuted. I'm just flabbergasted at the people here who condemn the guy with scant evidence.

The men I cited above were all kicked off campus, (at least for a while) and all innocent. It's the age of political correctness, every claim of rape is to be believed no matter how ludicrous. Again I'll say I have no knowledge of this case other than it was not prosecuted. I'm just flabbergasted at the people here who condemn the guy with scant evidence.

I am not condemning anybody. I never even said he assaulted anybody. All I'm saying is I don't think it's good to gamble on a guy who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

Also, he sold his shoes in violation of NCAA rules. Let's really get him for that, the rogue.

Just when thing were getting better on this board the troll(s) return. They just can's stand it when things go good for UTEP. :rolleyes:

Just when thing were getting better on this board the troll(s) return. They just can's stand it when things go good for UTEP. :rolleyes:

We are trolls because we think it's a bad move that UTEP is signing a kid that is accused of sexually assaulting a woman? Is that really what you're saying? We are UTEP fans. I am not sure how you infer that we "can't stand it when things go good for UTEP".

Chi, I understand your concern and agree it's a risk. At the same time, all we can do at this point is hope this guy plays well and stays out of trouble. I would also argue that people who need prayer aren't always the ones who deserve it.

Bingo, Keitha! Chi is too self centered and self absorbed to understand that the people that need prayer the most are those that people think don't deserve it..............head nod..............'lil pup Chih will grow up one day and learn about life, until then, Rigo, keep him off our damn board............oh, wait, Chih = Rigo, it must.

Chi, I understand your concern and agree it's a risk. At the same time, all we can do at this point is hope this guy plays well and stays out of trouble. I would also argue that people who need prayer aren't always the ones who deserve it.

I totally agree- all we can hope for is this guy stays out of trouble. I would never pray for a guy that was accused of sexually assaulting a woman, but that's just me. If somebody wants to pray for somebody like that, that is their choice- nothing wrong with it, it's just something I wouldn't do.

Chihuas it is obvious that you like to trash talk people based on events that were not proven or convicted off.
I have met a couple of guys who were accused of sexual assault because those two person didn't do what that female wanted them to do.
A closed friend got accused of sexual assault by her step daughter because she didn't like him.
Do you have any proof that Dominic did what you are assuming.

GO Miners...

Chihuas it is obvious that you like to trash talk people based on events that were not proven or convicted off.
I have met a couple of guys who were accused of sexual assault because those two person didn't do what that female wanted them to do.
A closed friend got accused of sexual assault by her step daughter because she didn't like him.
Do you have any proof that Dominic did what you are assuming.

GO Miners...

What trash talk? I never said Dominic sexually assaulted anybody- all I said was I don't think it's wise to sign a player that was accused of sexually assaulting a woman. I would rather sign a player who doesn't have baggage. Wouldn't you think Dominic would have contested his suspension if he didn't do anything wrong.? If I was ever accused of that and I know I didn't do anything wrong, I would have done everything in my power to get reinstated.

I have never met or known anybody that has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman. Pretty interesting that you know a couple.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
If you read the police report - the entire thing, including all the interviews, you will see that there were bad decisions and mistakes made by ALL involved, including the young woman accuser. Many years ago, I was (almost) raped at a party - luckily, someone heard me screaming at the right time and stopped the assault - so believe me when I tell you that my radar is high for rape and sexual assault. I believe Artis when he says he is remorseful and has learned a hard lesson. I believe that he thought the sex was consensual until the victim cried. I think his belief was affirmed when the victim slept all night in his bed and had a consensual sexual encounter again with him in the morning. There is a REASON that no charges were brought against him, no matter how distasteful the encounter. I think the whole thing is sad, for all involved. And I think we all need to stop judging others so much. Just my opinion.

With the addition of Dominic Artis, UTEP's recruiting ranking shot up from 66th (last week) to 41st according to 247 Sports. Another board member posed the question in a different thread about whether value was added by signing Artis. I believe most think it has.
That other member was me. I also said I hope I'm wrong in my evaluation. I guess his poor stats don't mean anything and there must be some positives that I have not seen...other than his high school rating.
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

As I said before...I'll be delighted if I'm wrong. Can't wait to have him show me his stuff.

Way better signing than the point guards that had visited UTEP the past few weeks. But why was Lew Stallworth dropped from the team?

I don't think Lew Stallworth has been dropped from the team. The current roster listing is from last year when Lew was suspended. As you can see, CJ, Julian and Cedric are still listed. From what I understand, Lew has been working hard to get back into CTF's good graces and has also been granted a second chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT