ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE SENTER............FIRE DIMEL.................!!!

I get nervous that if dimel is cut, Senter still gets to pick the next coach. Someone on Miner Talk said Senter was doing a great job and I about lost my mind. How?!
Here's how I see it personally:
1. Dimel has regressed despite more talent and his style is boring.
2. Dimel has gotten Utep to a middle of the run to lower CUSA team that will compete, but not win much. There is a possibility of a bowl maybe every 3 or 4 years if he stays. He will never compete for championships however or probably even win a bowl. Utep under him will be bad to just ok as his ceiling.
3. Utep does have enough money to cut ties, beyond popular belief and pay a guy coming in right around a Mil. People forget a couple of things. Utep already has one of the top Football Budgets in the conference, they get a little more money from the new TV Deal and a forgotten factor.... Utep is going to be getting money each year from the teams that defected.
4. Senter seems to put more on academic excellence, stability and loyalty than winning and making the fan base and boosters happy. With that said, real change will only happen probably once he's replaced with someone who cares more about Athletic Excellence!
5. Will Utep be set back 1 or 2 years, once Dimel is fired, more than likely. However the turn around should be much quicker and has proven to be quicker with new transfer rules in place. So get the right coach and it can turned around relatively quickly.

2. Dimel has gotten Utep to a middle of the run to lower CUSA team that will compete, but not win much. There is a possibility of a bowl maybe every 3 or 4 years if he stays. He will never compete for championships however or probably even win a bowl. Utep under him will be bad to just ok as his ceiling.
3. Utep does have enough money to cut ties, beyond popular belief and pay a guy coming in right around a Mil. People forget a couple of things. Utep already has one of the top Football Budgets in the conference, they get a little more money from the new TV Deal and a forgotten factor.... Utep is going to be getting money each year from the teams that defected.
4. Senter seems to put more on academic excellence, stability and loyalty than winning and making the fan base and boosters happy. With that said, real change will only happen probably once he's replaced with someone who cares more about Athletic Excellence!
5. Will Utep be set back 1 or 2 years, once Dimel is fired, more than likely. However the turn around should be much quicker and has proven to be quicker with new transfer rules in place. So get the right coach and it can turned around relatively quickly.
Dimels peak was 2021 and it was against quite possibly the easiest schedule you could possibly play, with all the stars aligning... and utep still only won 7 games and lost 5 out of the last 6 against the more difficult part of the schedule.

There is no benefit to keeping dimel, even if you strive for mediocrity. It was hard not to improve from the program he took over. Cool, he went from losing to FCS teams to barely beating FCS teams.

My only disagreement is we are already set back 2-3 years if Dismel stays.

It’s not just Senter’s call on the coach. It’s the search firm that the University board hires and they have a say too. Everyone needs to get on the same page, show some ambition and try to get a good coach in, instead of some scrub who wants to collect one last fat check.

Dimels peak was 2021 and it was against quite possibly the easiest schedule you could possibly play, with all the stars aligning... and utep still only won 7 games and lost 5 out of the last 6 against the more difficult part of the schedule.

There is no benefit to keeping dimel, even if you strive for mediocrity. It was hard not to improve from the program he took over. Cool, he went from losing to FCS teams to barely beating FCS teams.
I agree totally. Just to be clear I didn't and don't suggest or want him to stay past this year. I presented the results if Utep doesn't let him go rn and keeps him on. He absolutely should and needs to go if this program wants to turn things around. A shot in the arm is needed to get people caring again, Period!

I agree totally. Just to be clear I didn't and don't suggest or want him to stay past this year. I presented the results if Utep doesn't let him go rn and keeps him on. He absolutely should and needs to go if this program wants to turn things around. A shot in the arm is needed to get people caring again, Period!
I understand my good sir. I was just adding on.

Reactions: nattybry
I hope UTEP gets a Mike Price type of hire. This team has some talent with the RBs and Akharaiyi. I hope they can woo a guy who can convince these kids to stay by playing an exciting brand of football.

Reactions: EPUTEP
50/50. Some say he sounds like a “dead coach walking” some are not so sure (because UTEP can’t afford the final year buyout). This is where we pushback and say use that Monster Truck Show and concert dinero (auxiliary funds) and get him out of here. “I don’t answer that” (social media)?! What?! You recruit via social media; you and your staff!!

50/50. Some say he sounds like a “dead coach walking” some are not so sure (because UTEP can’t afford the final year buyout). This is where we pushback and say use that Monster Truck Show and concert dinero (auxiliary funds) and get him out of here. “I don’t answer that” (social media)?! What?! You recruit via social media; you and your staff!!

Who exactly is injured or is sitting out? Is he basing his comments on Hardison?

Just stop already. UTEP has money - at least enough to buy out 1 year of their football coach’s contract. They lead the conference in attendance. UTEP is not poor. They just choose to be mediocre.

Who exactly is injured or is sitting out? Is he basing his comments on Hardison?
Hardison is probably the main injured player, and maybe it would hold water is McConnell didn’t light up FIU. Player sitting would assumingly be Tyrin though - haven’t heard anything about his “injury” and he just so happens to have been injured in the 4th game, just enough for a medical redshirt

Just stop already. UTEP has money - at least enough to buy out 1 year of their football coach’s contract. They lead the conference in attendance. UTEP is not poor. They just choose to be mediocre.
I agree. Wilson would need to allow Senter to use the auxiliary funds, since the booster funded route is likely not an option. So, combined with the Terry non buyout contract fiasco when he left to Texas, and now adding a $550k buyout with Dimel, Senter has really made his mark as UTEP AD. Still waiting on those initiatives as well.

Teicher said during one of the broadcasts (UNLV?) that there were players electing not to play. He didn't name names, but Hardison was still playing against UNLV, so it wasn't him.

Including Smith, I know there were three receivers "not playing" for whatever reason in a recent game. I seem to remember the announcers during one game saying UTEP's secondary was thin because Ilijah Johnson was mysteriously no longer on the team. I'm sure there are others.

Teicher said during one of the broadcasts (UNLV?) that there were players electing not to play. He didn't name names, but Hardison was still playing against UNLV, so it wasn't him.

Including Smith, I know there were three receivers "not playing" for whatever reason in a recent game. I seem to remember the announcers during one game saying UTEP's secondary was thin because Ilijah Johnson was mysteriously no longer on the team. I'm sure there are others.
Another guy mentioned sitting out is Tevita Tafuna, who like Smith, is listed as a RS-Senior.

25 players video stated, correct? Hardison is one important piece but do you all seriously think it would have made a difference? I was a big supporter of Hardison but he made no improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas

Kudos to Rachel Phillips for asking if UTEP is ready to start over.

I hope I’m wrong, but if I had to bet, Dimel will be back next year. I think he spoon feeds Senter his own narrative about UTEP FB’s state of affairs (injuries, defections, tough schedule, etc). I don’t think Senter has enough of a backbone to let him go.

I hope I’m wrong, but if I had to bet, Dimel will be back next year. I think he spoon feeds Senter his own narrative about UTEP FB’s state of affairs (injuries, defections, tough schedule, etc). I don’t think Senter has enough of a backbone to let him go.
That is my “fear” too. Barring any changes, UTEP only has 5 home games next year. 1 against Southern Utah. They will likely have two weekday home games in October because they only had 1 this year. Then 2 other home games.

The attendance will likely be bad either way. Unless he thinks Dismel will have a really good team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Every team deals with injuries. Didn’t Aaron Jones get injured in the 2nd game of the year when Kugler was coach? THAT guy was an actual stud on the team. The players from this year are just role players.

The injury “excuse” doesn’t make sense. UTEP somehow managed to beat FIU on the road with a 4th string QB and then weeks later beat SHSU on the road. Yes, those teams suck, but they were road games with a 4th string QB.

With a few better or different coaching decisions, its not unthinkable to believe UTEP could have beat LaTech and WKU. It’s also not unthinkable that despite all of this, that UTEP wins on Saturday.

Dismel is the worst coach in UTEP history. Those guys that won 1 game a year 30-40 years didn’t have all the support Dismel has and they weren’t playing against FCS move ups and leftover FBS teams.

Every team deals with injuries. Didn’t Aaron Jones get injured in the 2nd game of the year when Kugler was coach? THAT guy was an actual stud on the team. The players from this year are just role players.

The injury “excuse” doesn’t make sense. UTEP somehow managed to beat FIU on the road with a 4th string QB and then weeks later beat SHSU on the road. Yes, those teams suck, but they were road games with a 4th string QB.

With a few better or different coaching decisions, its not unthinkable to believe UTEP could have beat LaTech and WKU. It’s also not unthinkable that despite all of this, that UTEP wins on Saturday.

Dismel is the worst coach in UTEP history. Those guys that won 1 game a year 30-40 years didn’t have all the support Dismel has and they weren’t playing against FCS move ups and leftover FBS teams.
Just gonna focus on the injury part. Hardison going down really derailed our conference championship aspirations. The 4th string qb is 2-2. With hardison it could have easily been 4-0. After all with him at the helm we were 0-4 vs FBS teams. Just imagine the kind of year had he not gone down. It would have been one for the history books.

The thing that Dimel is banking on is that Senter is dumb and believes this excuse. Injuries didn't cause Utep to lose the 1st game at Jacksonville St. It was bad coaching, penalties and bad QB play. Injuries weren't the reason Utep allowed a Northwestern team to score 31 unanswered in the 2nd half. A Northwestern team that maybe is better than people thought, but after 6 years of building we shouldn't have gotten beaten down like that and were favored. Injuries were the reason for getting man handled against UNLV. So his excuse may be valid for some games later in the season, but it's BS and if I were the media I would've called him out on it!!! He's an excuse machine now and doesn't take any accountability!

Injuries, yes. But I'm not sure how many teams have so many players "electing not to play for health reasons" after playing exactly 4 games.

I'm not making an excuse for Dimel. He brought these players in; it's his team. Either these players do not respect him or they're so demoralized that they quit on the team. It doesn't reflect well on Dimel as a leader, in any case.

I'd say they can't afford not to fire him. Imagine under 15k to open the season, as opposed to over 35k with a new shiny toy.

Senter has been behind the narrative. From 12/2017 to now. "Sell! Sell! Sell!" Dana was almost all year. Dimel did not shy away from interviews and photo shoots. He was supposed to transform UTEP with JUCO talent like he did at KSU. Now on 2/2023 he gave excuses that is not possible at UTEP like KSU. Top JUCO's are snatched up by P5's, commit to G5's to get P5 offers or get caught up with academic or personal issues and don't get on to field "Academic eligibility is more cut-and-dried with portal players". Ok. Fine.

But "Dimel said he and his staff rely on an old-fashioned recruiting staple: personal relationships. Because he has recruited junior colleges for so long, there’s an inherent trust with coaches at that level."

https://theathletic.com/4157194/2023/02/08/transfer-portal-junior-college-recruiting/

Then WTF happened Dimel? Ask him that Rachel, Colin or whoever has a hot mic that get P A I D to ask and and look up the questions.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

I'll still go with Tommy Hudspeth. 1-14, outscored 692-220, and gave up single game totals of 82, 76, 63, and 62 to name a few. Maybe the worst stretch of college football ever.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I'll still go with Tommy Hudspeth. 1-14, outscored 692-220, and gave up single game totals of 82, 76, 63, and 62 to name a few. Maybe the worst stretch of college football ever.
Fair to say, he probably didn’t have comparable resources as to what Dismel has had?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT