ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

I've had a reason to follow Austin Peay for the past three years and I'm as excited as the rest of you all to watch the Miners have success -- Just a fan absolutely not related to Scotty. But I will be at every game and I will be traveling far to make to every home game. I love the enthusiasm of the fans hoping to be a part of it.

What was the team reception like upon meeting with the current roster?

What’s Scotty’s take on the current players in the portal—any change of hearts?
Not sure on the first one and as hopeful as the rest of you that we can keep some of those stars from heading elsewhere -- its an unfortunate part of College Football these days that makes it tough.

This does look like a good hire but I am not sure if this can be considered a safe one or not. Salarywise UTEP paid better than UNM but UNM just hired Bronco Mendenhall for $1.2 Million. My question is why would UTEP pass this up when they paid less than UNM the last couple of years.
I'm really hoping this was the best decision, but we shall see.
Idk but it feels strange knowing Walden will make more than Kill. Dude was making like 200k at Austin Pey. Did we really need to increase his salary by 4 times to lock him down? Seems like we’re overpaying again.

Reactions: NeptunianEmp
Idk but it feels strange knowing Walden will make more than Kill. Dude was making like 200k at Austin Pey. Did we really need to increase his salary by 4 times to lock him down? Seems like we’re overpaying again.
I like it at $800k+. We ain’t NMSWHO, and we ain’t UT.

Incentive-laden contract, with a large buyout.

I am sure his reps new what UTEP would pay or had budgeted to pay. You would also have to think they knew what the other finalist would want as a salary.

My guess is they went in with a Number they knew wouldn't be the highest. I would assume there were a couple candidates that wanted a Million. You interview well, come in at a Salary within the budget, and that would be a recipe for an offer.

I like it at $800k+. We ain’t NMSWHO, and we ain’t UT.

Incentive-laden contract, with a large buyout.
I like 800k or even a million if we could. I see a school like Georgia Southern get an ex USC coach for cheaper than we get an ex Austin Pey coach. Idk. Doesn’t seem like the math adds up.

Killer was talking about Gillispie's first team, the one that only won 6 games. Prince had graduated long before then, and never played on a losing team
Yes I know. I was just reminiscing. And half asleep.

Last edited:

I am sure his reps new what UTEP would pay or had budgeted to pay. You would also have to think they knew what the other finalist would want as a salary.

My guess is they went in with a Number they knew wouldn't be the highest. I would assume there were a couple candidates that wanted a Million. You interview well, come in at a Salary within the budget, and that would be a recipe for an offer.
I believe it's already been stated he'll be making about $825K. We just haven't heard for sure or gotten word on the incentives. This number seems about right, due to inflation of FBS coaches at our level. Anything less would be under market value. He was making north of $300k with his new Austin Peay contract which was decent at that level for sure. The number Senter states for Walden makes sense.

I believe it's already been stated he'll be making about $825K. We just haven't heard for sure or gotten word on the incentives. This number seems about right, due to inflation of FBS coaches at our level. Anything less would be under market value. He was making north of $300k with his new Austin Peay contract which was decent at that level for sure. The number Senter states for Walden makes sense.
Hopefully it all works out. In case it doesn’t I better not hear “we can’t afford to buy him out” cuz that has been the theme for the last decade of UTEP football.

You must be fun at parties. And i genuinely mean that. You seem like such a funny laid back person. I hope one day we get to catch a game together.
Between streaking attempts, I am pretty fun.

Jk I'm a boring family guy. Appreciate it. Let me know if you're ever in el paso for a game. I live in Odessa now and it's trending to a full time move here, but my family will still try and make it to games.

On the Sports Talk interview with Kappy, Walden said that he wants to adjust the scheme to the players he has. Liking the hire more and more. That's what a GOOD coach would do. They wouldn't force their players in to their scheme (ahem, Dimel)

I'm very curious how the meetings went. I'd like to see who's still going to leave and who may change their mind.

Reactions: kickballpro
"On the recruiting trail, Brown played a pivotal role as the Bulldogs' 21-member signing class was the highest-rated class in Conference USA and ranked fifth among all Group of Five schools. Tech ranked 70th nationally in the Rivals 2023 Team Recruiting Rankings, edging out its 2020 signing class by a spot for the best slot in program history. "

“Jake is an energetic coach that I have worked with many years that brings knowledge of offense and also knowledge of building relationships with his players,” said Cumbie. “He’s a smart ball coach that will be a relentless recruiter. He and his family will be wonderful ambassadors of Louisiana Tech University.”

I like his resume as a P5 coach. If he does well at UTEP, maybe he can be our next HC.

"On the recruiting trail, Brown played a pivotal role as the Bulldogs' 21-member signing class was the highest-rated class in Conference USA and ranked fifth among all Group of Five schools. Tech ranked 70th nationally in the Rivals 2023 Team Recruiting Rankings, edging out its 2020 signing class by a spot for the best slot in program history. "

“Jake is an energetic coach that I have worked with many years that brings knowledge of offense and also knowledge of building relationships with his players,” said Cumbie. “He’s a smart ball coach that will be a relentless recruiter. He and his family will be wonderful ambassadors of Louisiana Tech University.”

I like his resume as a P5 coach. If he does well at UTEP, maybe he can be our next HC.
I wondered how he and QB Hank Bachmeier got along (Hank is in the Portal).

He's gotta mean based on stadium size... or he watched some YouTube videos from the mid 2000s when UTEP football was at its peak.

I agree with him... I think UTEP has potential to be a successful G5. UTEP just doesn't care to be successful, they just want to be profitable.
I think he must've meant 2018, because 2019 was in Hattiesburg and 2020 was postponed due to covid. However we were 1-11 and no one was in the stands. Maybe he meant there's a lot of stadium potential for the fans to fill up lol which is true lol. Again I remember some games in the 2000s and the winning season Kugler had that were electric and I'm sure an exciting winning program will bring that back. So I love his talk, and hope he can walk it to.

He's gotta mean based on stadium size... or he watched some YouTube videos from the mid 2000s when UTEP football was at its peak.

I agree with him... I think UTEP has potential to be a successful G5. UTEP just doesn't care to be successful, they just want to be profitable.
Yep the city and potential fan support are the sleeping giants. We've all seen it. UTEP just doesn't make it happen.

You nailed it on the head. I know people crap on the university and El Paso but out football team sucks and we were still outpacing better schools in terms of attendance.

I just read that Nate Poss will no longer be part of Utep football. Wow.

That’s crazy. A guy with that much experience is hard to replace. A lot of people asking what Poss’ role was. He was on the admin side of Football. Mostly logistics and travel. Great guy. He has been with UTEP since 97 and is 68 years old. Which means he has a pension and can comfortably retire.

That’s crazy. A guy with that much experience is hard to replace. A lot of people asking what Poss’ role was. He was on the admin side of Football. Mostly logistics and travel. Great guy. He has been with UTEP since 97 and is 68 years old. Which means he has a pension and can comfortably retire.

His job isn't difficult. He's very easy to replace. He shouldn't have been making $100,000 a year. You could cut out his position and nobody would notice.

Last edited:
Logistics and travel? So was he the one responsible for the jerseys screw up at Sam Houston? 🤡

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT