ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

Love how Scotty continues to preach about the Sun Bowl and El Paso!

El Paso is very poorly regarded across the rest of the state. I've literally had people say "Oh, I'm sorry" when I told them I was from EP. I think racism plays a role, but EP is NOT good at marketing itself either. Neither has UTEP been.

Looks like Scotty recognizes this obstacle to recruiting and tackling it head on, and you've got to appreciate that. Does UTEP even have a marketing staff? I thought I remembered some news about hiring someone but have they done anything?

El Paso is very poorly regarded across the rest of the state. I've literally had people say "Oh, I'm sorry" when I told them I was from EP. I think racism plays a role, but EP is NOT good at marketing itself either. Neither has UTEP been.

Looks like Scotty recognizes this obstacle to recruiting and tackling it head on, and you've got to appreciate that. Does UTEP even have a marketing staff? I thought I remembered some news about hiring someone but have they done anything?
From what I've read here UTEP needs strong marketing, an NIL for football, better food for players, an indoor practice facility and better recognition from around the state. Winning will help all of that, but if or when it comes we need leaders who can capitalize on it this time.

The fans will come if UTEP wins. It's been proven time and time again.

The fans will come if UTEP wins. It's been proven time and time again.
The fans come even if UTEP doesn’t win. UTEP has the best fan support in the G5. No team that loses as much as UTEP does, gets the fan support that UTEP does.

NMSU had less than 16,000 for their last home game, a week after they beat Auburn, had clinched a spot in the CUSA title game, and had their best season in forever. If that was here, 30,000 easily.

The fans come even if UTEP doesn’t win. UTEP has the best fan support in the G5. No team that loses as much as UTEP does, gets the fan support that UTEP does.

NMSU had less than 16,000 for their last home game, a week after they beat Auburn, had clinched a spot in the CUSA title game, and had their best season in forever. If that was here, 30,000 easily.
Is this an actual compliment from Nowins? I don't believe it.

Is this an actual compliment from Nowins? I don't believe it.
It’s a compliment towards the city and fans. UTEP 100% does not deserve the fan support they get. UTEP has given us fools gold for most of the last 30 years.

UTEP can get almost 4,000 to any mens basketball game and 10,000 to any football game. San Jose St can’t do that. Lamar can’t, and many others can’t either.

Aside from basketball and football results, UTEP is doing better at merchandise. Adidas gear seems to be readily available. UTEP is still very poor at fan information and marketing.

I agree my biggest pet peeve living here in Dallas is the misinformation and ignorance. When most say eww El Paso, or that sucks or whatever when I say I'm from El Paso, 95% of them have never been or only driven through SMH 😒

When you get these young guys you don’t have to pay as much.

hopefully it’s that and not you get what you pay for…
Hopefully Walden knows how to evaluate coaching talent and hire assistants. Bob Stull's staff was probably the best coaching staff in the history of the school, and I doubt that our assistant coaches' salaries were competitive back in 1986. Unfortunately no coaching staff since has matched that one. Hopefully Walden knows what he's doing with his hires.

I disagree. El Pasoans crap on El Paso.

In my lifetime, I have yet to hear from any American anything good about

L.A.
New York
Chicago

But yet the world travels there and moves there.🤔

L.A.
New York
Chicago

I think that the rest of Texas thinks El Paso is just an extension of the Rio Grande Valley and that El Paso, Laredo and McAllen are interchangeable. That’s why there is such a surprise when someone comes to El Paso and realize that it is so different.

Wasn't Walden earning 200k at AP? You can imagine how much his Assistants were making.
I like the approach but the big problem is if there is any success at Utep, we will not be able to keep them from being poached for a bigger salary. Every coach that UTEP now has is considering this job a stepping stone to something better.

Just happened to NMSU and they lost a couple of coaches to Vanderbilt, I believe. Kill had brought in some highly experienced FCS coaches and they were poached.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I like the approach but the big problem is if there is any success at Utep, we will not be able to keep them from being poached for a bigger salary. Every coach that UTEP now has is considering this job a stepping stone to something better.

Just happened to NMSU and they lost a couple of coaches to Vanderbilt, I believe. Kill had brought in some highly experienced FCS coaches and they were poached.
It's better than not being a stepping stone and constantly losing and accepting the mediocrity. I miss those days of basketball and I hope football gets to that point. It means utep athletics is successful and can continue to be successful.

Hopefully Walden knows how to evaluate coaching talent and hire assistants. Bob Stull's staff was probably the best coaching staff in the history of the school, and I doubt that our assistant coaches' salaries were competitive back in 1986. Unfortunately no coaching staff since has matched that one. Hopefully Walden knows what he's doing with his hires.

I assume the 80’s salaries were decent compared to other schools. Wasn’t until the late 80’s and early 90’s that coaching salaries went crazy. The NCAA used to negotiate all the TV deals until lawsuits by the Power Conferences challenged that and it was ruled they can negotiate their own contracts.

In the mid 90’s, when Bobby Bowden got the million dollar deal, TV deals got crazy, and conferences started to form based on Contracts instead of Geography

Reactions: Lil_Train

L.A.
New York
Chicago

Let me change that. I love NYC and I like L.A. and Chicago. NYC is like no other city in the U.S. It is lively and fun despite the negatives that people often talk about. There are tons of things to see and do that are only seen and done in NYC. Love the place.

That’s fine, let win and go on to better paying jobs. Isn’t that what we all do?

I assume the 80’s salaries were decent compared to other schools. Wasn’t until the late 80’s and early 90’s that coaching salaries went crazy. The NCAA used to negotiate all the TV deals until lawsuits by the Power Conferences challenged that and it was ruled they can negotiate their own contracts.

In the mid 90’s, when Bobby Bowden got the million dollar deal, TV deals got crazy, and conferences started to form based on Contracts instead of Geography
Technically it was Steve Spurrier in 1996 who got the first million-dollar contract, Bobby got just under a million in 1995. Now it's wild, Oklahoma's strength coach got 1 milly in 2022.

Technically it was Steve Spurrier in 1996 who got the first million-dollar contract, Bobby got just under a million in 1995. Now it's wild, Oklahoma's strength coach got 1 milly in 2022.
Just an interesting tidbit. Nolan Ryan was the first million dollar/year athlete in 1979.

Arch Manning has an NIL deal and doesn't even start

Last edited:
Just an interesting tidbit. Nolan Ryan was the first million dollar/year athlete in 1979.

Arch Manning has an NIL deal and doesn't even start
Isn't Caleb Williams making like 5 million?

Caitlin Clark is making 3 million just in endorsement deals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT