ADVERTISEMENT

11/7 exhibition game

miner661

MI Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2001
Did any of our fellow Miners fans attend tonight's game? If so, what was the final score and review? Total appreciation.

I didn't go either and would like to also get a report from someone that went to the game. My nephew texted me at halftime and told me that Lee and Artist looked good, but that's all I got.

12 point win...but a 5-10 point spread for most of the game.

On the plus side, Artis looks as advertised.

On the other hand, Caldwell (at 6-3) looked like our most aggressive rebounder and inside player. Their biggest guy was 6-7, yet their guys still managed to make our big guys (Vint, Jones, and Thomas) look weak and out of position. Hopefully, Winn can get back in good graces and contribute underneath. We need someone who can throw his weight around.

I think Artis, Caldwell and Moore were leading scorers.

Caldwell had a really strong second half -- probably played his way into more minutes with his rebounding, defense and driving.

Artis didn't shoot great, but he drove for lay-ups and had several assists.

Moore is a baller, but Floyd will probably reign in his freelancing.

Defense needs work -- their guards penetrated and finished too often.

Agree with all of your observations, Unihorn. You are correct--Artis, Moore, and Caldwell were leading scorers.

I think we are going to be way better when Moore, Artist, and Morris are all playing together with Winn and either Vint or Willms

I was there as well. We look a tad faster than last years team but we have a lot of tentative players not a lot of aggression. It is really noticeable that we have a bunch of players who really haven't played together much. Moore is a player, but takes a lot of shots and runs hot or cold. Artis is good ball handler and looks to be in the true point guard mold makes really good passes and plays smart. Trouchet, Vint and Flaggler all look really tentative and reluctant to push the action and I'm sure this is due to Floyd and their lack of foot speed. Thomas and Jones look like strength is going to be a problem for them but they have good shooting form for HS big guys. Mabucu ? wants to play so bad he can taste it and is a hustler as is Caldwell, both can't shoot from anywhere outside the lane but I think they will get plenty of chances to play. Wilms is so full of potential but I am afraid we will never be able to tap it, he never seems to get in position and allows the defense to push him off the block. Vineagas is too slow but does add some heft (if we play an all over 40 team of white guys, half-court he could be our starting center and Vint our power forward). Overall rebounding and our lack of an inside game are going to be this teams challenges and defense, depth and turnovers are going to be our strongpoints. My 2 cents anyway and I'm sure what we saw tonight is not what we see all season.

I hate to be the spelling Nazi, but can we at least get our player names correct? Artist, Trouchet, Flaggler, Vinegeas?

A lot of missed layups and crapton (to use a scientific term) of missed free throws, but there was a lot we can build on.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Miner661 and Winstoneptx, not sure if these posts gave you enough information on the game, so I will add a little more.
Artis was in control of the game, a true point guard, although he did not shoot it that well. He did have some outstanding moves into the teeth of the defense, finished some plays and others he didn't.
Moore rebounded the ball very well, but didn't shoot it that well last night. He can create his own shot but at times may try to do too much one on one.
Caldwell won this game for us. He was all over the place and played some suffocating defense. He guarded number 12 and shut him down but then number 4 got hot, so he guarded number 4 and proceeded to shut him down. His only negative was he missed an easy layup on a great feed from Artis.
Flaggert did appear to be hobbling out there. If I remember correctly he did hit a three and missed one. He did mix it up underneath battling for rebounds.
Touchet to me was focused on playing defense. Each time he got beat by number 12, Floyd would take him out and sit him next to the coaches so that he could coach him (kindly put).
Both Thomas and Jones in my opinion looked better than the first exhibition game. They do however still need a way to go. Both get pushed around pretty easily.
Hooper got into foul trouble and even got a technical foul for complaining about one of his fouls. With the fouls he didn't play that much.
Wilms played more than I thought he would based on the issue he has with his foot. He really didn't stand out. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad either.
Mbachu didn't do anything spectacular either but mostly because Artis played a lot and therefore he wasn't in the game as much.

The game overall went like this: for an exhibition game the referees called way too many fouls both ways (some of Vint's fouls were ticky tack in my opinion-he was jockeying for position down low); the Miners missed a lot of free throws, including Artis and Moore, compared to the last exhibition game where they were fantastic from the line; the Miners also missed a lot of threes; and defensively as mentioned in another thread, they gave up too many reverse layups. Once the team is at full strength I believe they will be okay on offense, but I do believe they need a lot of work on the defensive side. Rebounding appears will be a concern, but if Moore can continue helping out on the boards, that will help.

Miner661 and Winstoneptx, not sure if these posts gave you enough information on the game, so I will add a little more.
Artis was in control of the game, a true point guard, although he did not shoot it that well. He did have some outstanding moves into the teeth of the defense, finished some plays and others he didn't.
Moore rebounded the ball very well, but didn't shoot it that well last night. He can create his own shot but at times may try to do too much one on one.
Caldwell won this game for us. He was all over the place and played some suffocating defense. He guarded number 12 and shut him down but then number 4 got hot, so he guarded number 4 and proceeded to shut him down. His only negative was he missed an easy layup on a great feed from Artis.
Flaggert did appear to be hobbling out there. If I remember correctly he did hit a three and missed one. He did mix it up underneath battling for rebounds.
Touchet to me was focused on playing defense. Each time he got beat by number 12, Floyd would take him out and sit him next to the coaches so that he could coach him (kindly put).
Both Thomas and Jones in my opinion looked better than the first exhibition game. They do however still need a way to go. Both get pushed around pretty easily.
Hooper got into foul trouble and even got a technical foul for complaining about one of his fouls. With the fouls he didn't play that much.
Wilms played more than I thought he would based on the issue he has with his foot. He really didn't stand out. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad either.
Mbachu didn't do anything spectacular either but mostly because Artis played a lot and therefore he wasn't in the game as much.

The game overall went like this: for an exhibition game the referees called way too many fouls both ways (some of Vint's fouls were ticky tack in my opinion-he was jockeying for position down low); the Miners missed a lot of free throws, including Artis and Moore, compared to the last exhibition game where they were fantastic from the line; the Miners also missed a lot of threes; and defensively as mentioned in another thread, they gave up too many reverse layups. Once the team is at full strength I believe they will be okay on offense, but I do believe they need a lot of work on the defensive side. Rebounding appears will be a concern, but if Moore can continue helping out on the boards, that will help.
Well stated MikeSArabia. It has to get better and MUCH better when we have the whole team on the court

How does the return of Morris, Winn and Romine make us much better???

Did you seriously ask this? How does the return of one starter (Morris) and one possible starter (Winn) make us much better? The three guard lineup of Artis, Moore, and Morris will put up a ton of points. Winn, who plays with more energy than any of our other bigs, should help with interior scoring and rebounding, which has been largely absent in our two exhibition games. Even after their return we will still our issues inside, but we will undoubtedly be better.

Now as far as Romine's return goes, I don't see much of an impact. I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts this year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Thanks for the report mikesarabia and everyone else who responded.
Well almost everyone else.

DON"T FEED THE TROLLS.

GO MINERS

Im pumped for this season. My only gripe is not seeing any improvement in Hooper. Guy looks like he added muscle but still has played really small in both exhibitions. Hope he "wakes up" ASAP

I'm not a glass half-empty kind of guy. With that said, those that are still waiting for Vint to show something other than what he has shown the last 3 years, you are in for a frustrating ride. Vint won't bring anything new to the table. He will hit the occasional 3, at about a 30% clip. Against smaller competition he will occasionally find himself under the rim for an easy two. He will average about 6 points a game. He will probably continue to suffer from the line. He will grab an average of 3 boards a game...tops. He will constantly get pushed out of the paint. He will look like he's sky gazing with his head in the clouds on the defensive end. Vint is Vint and that's what we get with him. To expect anything different, especially after the two exhibitions, is setting yourself up for disappointment. But hey...Floyd likes him cuz he's a good kid. That counts for something right?

Thanks for the report mikesarabia and everyone else who responded.
Well almost everyone else.

DON"T FEED THE TROLLS.

GO MINERS
My pleasure and based on some of the posts that came after mine, it seems like either Chih or Epsilon (or both) had some ignorant posts (I have them on ignore).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT