#121 ODU
#100 USM
#110 LT
#88 FAU
#71 UTSA
#112 UNT
#123 RICE
#55 UAB

Other than UAB and UTSA which I predicted in the pre season would be automatic losses and FAU cuz we can't win in the Eastern time zone we have 5 toss up games. My heart says we're going to win 4 (ODU, LT, UNT, RICE) but the heart is treacherous who can know it.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Didn't even cross my mind we could go winless the rest of the way.
Anything is possible with this school. I don’t see 0 either, but Dimel is still the coach. Injuries, suspension, etc happen. What happens if our RB core gets COVID like the UNM WRs?

Based on what I've seen of this team so far, I think the Miners have the talent to win another four games this season. Unfortunately the offensive coaching and scheme remain terrible and Dimel's offense remains the biggest obstacle to seven wins and any long term success. I'll stick with my preseason prediction of four total wins.

Reactions: axingfools1
I hope I’m wrong, but Dimel really plays not to win. This will hurt him in CUSA. I’m going with 1 more win on the low end, either ODU or Rice. If they can beat ODU, they may find some confidence and win a few more. 6-6 would be the high end. 5-7 probably happens

Reactions: utep-piggy
I think ODU is going to be a lot tougher than their 2019 record indicates. Just read that the only reason they lost to the MAC east champions 2 out of the last 3 years is because of an excessive celebration penalty after they came back from 35-7.

Imo the easiest opponent left on our schedule is RICE and by then it might be too late.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I think ODU is going to be a lot tougher than their 2019 record indicates. Just read that the only reason they lost to the MAC east champions 2 out of the last 3 years is because of an excessive celebration penalty after they came back from 35-7.

Imo the easiest opponent left on our schedule is RICE and by then it might be too late.
ODU is getting better as the season goes on. It won't be as easy as it looked at the beginning of the season, but we still should win.

ODU is getting better as the season goes on. It won't be as easy as it looked at the beginning of the season, but we still should win.
I'm not convinced. I had no idea the UNM QB played hurt the second half and they were missing 6 WR's. I was at the game and didn't learn this information until afterwards. Maybe that's why they couldn't score in the second half. I have a strong belief a healthy UNM would have beat us. Don't expect ODU to handicap themselves the same way.

UTEP barely beat a terrible UNM team missing its top 4 receivers at home with two weeks to prepare! No way they beat ODU. UTEPs defense is adequate but the offense is its achilles heel. Dimel should hand over the offensive keys to Aaron Price but he won’t cause he is stubborn.

With the EASIEST SCHEDULE in the country so far UTEPs offensive stats are miserable.

total offense # 65
passing offense #59
scoring offense #95
completion percentage #99
rushing offense #66
time of possession #15

You can’t win if you don’t score and pass the football effectively!!
Expect those offensive stats to worsen and downtrend every week now that UTEP enters conference play and competition improves.

UTEP barely beat a terrible UNM team missing its top 4 receivers at home with two weeks to prepare! No way they beat ODU. UTEPs defense is adequate but the offense is its achilles heel. Dimel should hand over the offensive keys to Aaron Price but he won’t cause he is stubborn.
I'll take that bet! What's your bet against Vegas if your so confident then are u taking ODU and the +4? I won't take the points, but I'll take Utep this week in a close game. At ODU I wouldn', but at home with them coming way over here I will. I like your confidence though going against the miners let's bet zelle or cash app 50 bucks?

With the EASIEST SCHEDULE in the country so far UTEPs offensive stats are miserable.

total offense # 65
passing offense #59
scoring offense #95
rushing offense #66
time of possession #15

Expect those offensive stats to worsen and downtrend every week now that UTEP enters conference play and competition improves.
ODU is ranked 2nd in the conference in total defense. This was basically against two top 30 teams. I have a feeling we're going to struggle to move the ball.

UTEP doesn't pass the eye test. We are NOT going to do well. People here can blast me all they want. Our 3-1 record is misleading to the max. 2 more wins maybe...
I agree, however I watched ODU as well. Teybe played one half of good football this year against D1 teams. They've played better teams though, so not sure what to expect. I've said already, UTEP will have to score more points to win.

I agree, however I watched ODU as well. Teybe played one half of good football this year against D1 teams. They've played better teams though, so not sure what to expect. I've said already, UTEP will have to score more points to win.
They completely dismantled Hampton. They're a D1 team. UTEP couldn't even do that against a winless BCU.

I pose the question to those of you who are so sure ODU will beat UTEP. Vegas doesn't just put out lines for their health. Why would UTEP be a 4 pt favorite if it's so clear cut ODU is better as you guys feel?

Reactions: kickballpro
I pose the question to those of you who are so sure ODU will beat UTEP. Vegas doesn't just put out lines for their health. Why would UTEP be a 4 pt favorite if it's so clear cut ODU is better as you guys feel?
Bro UTEP opened up as 2.5 favorites vs UNM and by game time they were 2.5 underdogs. Vegas doesn't set lines on who they think will win but on how they can make the most money from both sides.

As a matter of fact my betting site already has UTEP as 3.5 favorites. Expect the line to swing more by game time.

Maybe UTEP fans are like Cowboys fans and always think their team is the greatest ever? Vegas moves money. Vegas doesn't really give a flying **** about the teams. It's all about where the money is flowing.

They completely dismantled Hampton. They're a D1 team. UTEP couldn't even do that against a winless BCU.
Shut up man you know Damn Well what I meant. Hampton is not FBS and you know that, you're being sarcastic I hope! I don't care how the names were reclassified, they are D2 or FCS same crap!

I don't think UTEP is very good. I've said they'll go 5-7 with outside shot of 6-6, because the schedule. I just don't think ODU is as got shit as some of y'all are saying. They are marginally better than UNM at best.
Maybe UTEP fans are like Cowboys fans and always think their team is the greatest ever? Vegas moves money. Vegas doesn't really give a flying **** about the teams. It's all about where the money is flowing.

Last edited:
I don't think UTEP is very good. I've said they'll go 5-7 with outside shot of 6-6, because the schedule. I just don't think ODU is as got shit as some of y'all are saying. They are marginally better than UNM at best.

Right, so think about that. We barely squeezed by an already bad UNM who was missing 6 of their top 8 receivers and who's QB played hurt for most of the 2nd half. If ODwho? is better, even marginally, then why would you think UTEP will win? ODU likely wins by 7-17 points. And NO I'm not betting with you on this.

Shut up man you know Damn Well what I meant. Hampton is not FBS and you know that, you're being sarcastic I hope! I don't care how the names were reclassified, they are D2 or FCS same crap!
The D1 FCS school is the only opponent we have in common. They beat the shit out of theirs and we beat ours by 10. Hampton is better than BCU. I already told you they performed better against two top 30 teams than we did against the one mid 50 team we played.

You can be as optimistic as you want. After 20 years of being burned by bad football I will continue to assume they're the same old UTEP until they prove it otherwise on the field.

Well it wasn't me. I said UTEP doesn't pass the eye test. Maybe 2 more wins this year. Woo-hoo! We might beat another crappy team in ODU. Then what? Do we win the top crappy team trophy?

Let's say we somehow win 3 more and go bowling. Any decent team will crush us, but Dimel will be extended another 4 years. Whatever. Like I said, we just keep circling the toilet bowl. This football program needs a jolt. We had one in 04 and 05, but we refused/or were too stubborn to capitalize on it. Now look where we are.

I have no expectations of Golding and the MBB team this year, but if he does well cause he's the 'Ted Lasso' of college basketball then we better jump in and hold on to him with all we've got. Right now he is our only chance.

They will not win another game all year. They would have finished with 2 wins had New Mexico not lost their whole receiving core. This team is no better than last years team who won 2 of the first 3 and lost all the rest.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Well it wasn't me. I said UTEP doesn't pass the eye test. Maybe 2 more wins this year. Woo-hoo! We might beat another crappy team in ODU. Then what? Do we win the top crappy team trophy?

Let's say we somehow win 3 more and go bowling. Any decent team will crush us, but Dimel will be extended another 4 years. Whatever. Like I said, we just keep circling the toilet bowl. This football program needs a jolt. We had one in 04 and 05, but we refused/or were too stubborn to capitalize on it. Now look where we are.

I have no expectations of Golding and the MBB team this year, but if he does well cause he's the 'Ted Lasso' of college basketball then we better jump in and hold on to him with all we've got. Right now he is our only chance.
We all know, even the underdog writers know, that Senter has Dimel's extension waiting for the minute we crawl to 6 wins. This program will be buried so deep in the Franklin mountains that I don't think we will ever see daylight again.

total offense # 65
passing offense #59
scoring offense #95
rushing offense #66
time of possession #15

C'mon piggy, how can you complain about those stats? Just look at that time of possession rank: number 15 in the country. After years of Kugler and Dimel how do you not know that there isn't a more important statistic in all of football? Those two coaches taught us that Ws, Ls, points scored, points allowed, and other statics just aren't as important as time of possession. Haven't you been paying attention?

Last edited:
Right, so think about that. We barely squeezed by an already bad UNM who was missing 6 of their top 8 receivers and who's QB played hurt for most of the 2nd half. If ODwho? is better, even marginally, then why would you think UTEP will win? ODU likely wins by 7-17 points. And NO I'm not betting with you on this.
Ok, so then since you all are so sure let's make it fun and bet. Anyone who has ODU so assuredly, I'll take the Miners!

I've been a Miner fan since the Stull days as a coach, so I feel the pain of Miner Fans. I hope every year and 9 out of ten times get disappointed. I am very realistic and predicted 5 wins this year. I'm on pace to meet or exceed that projection. Beat the crappy teams and hopefully upset one of the better teams. Unfortunately the fact is that's an improvement for the Miners. Win against who you should and play well enough to have a chance against the better teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
UTEP should and can beat ODU. UTEP can beat a good chunk of CUSA opponents. What kills UTEP is

a)penalities (moves the opponent forward. UTEP has quite a few 15 yard variety)
b)dropped passes (but caught critical deep balls Saturday). No gain and killer for 2nd or 3rd and long plays.
c)Hardison over throws or fast balls on ten or less yards. He needs to control his strong arm.
d)Failure to pressure opponent qb's (but they did get great pressure on UNM). UNM may have been out 6 of 8 wr's but their TE and others made critical catches in 1st half.

This is inefficiency and kills drives. UTEP is not there yet when a pendejada happens and to overcome. It usually give the opponent points on the board and since UTEP is not a quick strike offense, this costs them games.

Reactions: nattybry
And this is exactly why I am hoping Dimel will lose. Not UTEP or the players. Dimel.
It's a double edge sword. If we limp to .500 we get another 4-5 years of Dimel. From what I've seen the first four years I think his ceiling is 7-5 with a very easy schedule. Maybe in the next round of realignment when we're left with all the other unwanted schools he'll have a better chance to win more conference games.

It would be nice if we all ate crow and Dimel wins 8+ games this year but unfortunately nothing he has done so far indicates he's capable of that.

I hope the Miners have an “our season starts now/we’re 0-0” mentality. They have 0 reason to rest on their laurels and pat themselves on the back because this 3-1 start could turn into a 3-9/4-8 finish.
In a perfect world the coaches would have the same mentality because they should be coaching for their lives as well. As unlikely as it is, I would hope they leave it all on the field. I’d rather lose my job with aggressive play calling instead of running for a 3 and out and dying a slow death.

They will not win another game all year. They would have finished with 2 wins had New Mexico not lost their whole receiving core. This team is no better than last years team who won 2 of the first 3 and lost all the rest.
Silver lining if that happens, will they pull the plug on Dimel?

It's a double edge sword. If we limp to .500 we get another 4-5 years of Dimel. From what I've seen the first four years I think his ceiling is 7-5 with a very easy schedule. Maybe in the next round of realignment when we're left with all the other unwanted schools he'll have a better chance to win more conference games.

It would be nice if we all ate crow and Dimel wins 8+ games this year but unfortunately nothing he has done so far indicates he's capable of that.

I agree with you on Dimel’s ceiling. But I think he has done a solid job in building. That 2017 Kugler team was historically horrendous and Dimel had to build from that.

I feel like Dimel has built an 8 win roster which is pretty incredible considering where we were. But not sure if we have an 8 win strategy.

I agree with you on Dimel’s ceiling. But I think he has done a solid job in building. That 2017 Kugler team was historically horrendous and Dimel had to build from that.

I feel like Dimel has built an 8 win roster which is pretty incredible considering where we were. But not sure if we have an 8 win strategy.
Price’s 04 and 05 teams were 8 win teams. Do you think of these players had Price’s staff and offensive system could they replicate their record? Personally I know the talent has improved a lot compared to the last 4/5 years but I think these guys have 5-6 wins in their pocket if they get all the breaks.

Price’s 04 and 05 teams were 8 win teams. Do you think of these players had Price’s staff and offensive system could they replicate their record? Personally I know the talent has improved a lot compared to the last 4/5 years but I think these guys have 5-6 wins in their pocket if they get all the breaks.

2004 Miners were in a conference with 2 Nationally ranked teams. 2005 was in a solid CUSA.

So I actually think this team with that staff in this CUSA, with this schedule, wins 9 or more.

However, I dont think this team wins 8 in 2004 WAC or 2005 CUSA.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT