Votes: 14 40.0%

Votes: 8 22.9%

Votes: 5 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2004 Miners were in a conference with 2 Nationally ranked teams. 2005 was in a solid CUSA.

So I actually think this team with that staff in this CUSA, with this schedule, wins 9 or more.

However, I dont think this team wins 8 in 2004 WAC or 2005 CUSA.
Fair point. Price gave those guys TONS of swagger and confidence.

Price’s 04 and 05 teams were 8 win teams. Do you think of these players had Price’s staff and offensive system could they replicate their record? Personally I know the talent has improved a lot compared to the last 4/5 years but I think these guys have 5-6 wins in their pocket if they get all the breaks.

We have a gunslinger QB in Hardison, a solid RB corp, two awesome WRs in Cowing and Garrett. They do an incredible job within the offensive scheme they are playing in. They are NOT the problem.

We all know what the problem is: Dana Dismel.

Personally I would fire Dismel just for that shit show at Boise. Bowl or no Bowl.

Personally I would fire Dismel just for that shit show at Boise. Bowl or no Bowl.
Dana isn't the one that turned it over 6 times though. He's definitely responsible for alot of what's wrong. However a team that has a great home field advantage with a tradition like that, and you give them 6 extra possessions plus a special teams TD is gonna get whoop you 99 times out of a hundred. I say he has to win 6+ and a bowl win to keep his job.

Dana isn't the one that turned it over 6 times though. He's definitely responsible for alot of what's wrong. However a team that has a great home field advantage with a tradition like that, and you give them 6 extra possessions plus a special teams TD is gonna get whoop you 99 times out of a hundred. I say he has to win 6+ and a bowl win to keep his job.
But he is the one that recruited every single one of those players and "prepares" them for the games.

But he is the one that recruited every single one of those players and "prepares" them for the games.
I agree, but a coach can't always be the scapegoat for every bone headed thing a player does that's just not sensible. I don't like his play calling and alot of things, but I'm not a fan who blames the coach, because a QB throws 3 terrible ints and fumbles on their own 3 yard line. Hardison was simply not up to the moment.

I agree, but a coach can't always be the scapegoat for every bone headed thing a player does that's just not sensible. I don't like his play calling and alot of things, but I'm not a fan who blames the coach, because a QB throws 3 terrible ints and fumbles on their own 3 yard line. Hardison was simply not up to the moment.
We're in year 4 and the best qb we have on the roster is a former juco that had no other FCS or FBS offers. Who does that fall on?

We're in year 4 and the best qb we have on the roster is a former juco that had no other FCS or FBS offers. Who does that fall on?
We're talking about the Boise game. His career isn't over. Talk to me after the season about the QB brotha.

Professional whiners like you never get beat. Logically, you might want to wait until the season is a bit further along before calling for the coaches head. But being blinded by your self importance and your unfailing sports acumen, you post your never-ending bull**** without realizing how repetitious and boring you've become.

Reactions: nattybry
Professional whiners like you never get beat. Logically, you might want to wait until the season is a bit further along before calling for the coaches head. But being blinded by your self importance and your unfailing sports acumen, you post your never-ending bull**** without realizing how repetitious and boring you've become.
Same as you defending this shit show. Sorry that some of us have higher aspirations.

We're talking about the Boise game. His career isn't over. Talk to me after the season about the QB brotha.
If we can't even keep it close with one of the best G5 programs, not beat them, just keep it respectful then why are we even trying. To be the toilet champions?

Imo by year four we should be getting ready to compete for a CUSA west title. It took UTSA's coach one year to have them in contention. Not be eking out wins over a hobbled unm and wondering if we can beat 4 or 5 of the worst FBS teams.

Last edited:
If we can't even keep it close with one of the best G5 programs, not beat them, just keep it respectful then why are we even trying. To be the toilet champions?

Imo by year four we should be getting ready to compete for a CUSA west title. It took UTSA's coach one year to have them in contention. Not be eking out wins over a hobbled unm and wondering if we can beat 4 or 5 of the worst FBS teams.
But at the same time how can you have those aspirations as well? Since the 1970s UTEP has only been in contention for conference titles MAYBE 4 or 5 times. 1988, 2000, 2004 and 2005. 2014 we were 3rd in the division but I’ll give that to you if you want it. So that averages out to once every 10 years. I agree we should have higher standards but for whatever reason a 4 year turnaround along with any sustainable success has proved to be impossible.

But at the same time how can you have those aspirations as well? Since the 1970s UTEP has only been in contention for conference titles MAYBE 4 or 5 times. 1988, 2000, 2004 and 2005. 2014 we were 3rd in the division but I’ll give that to you if you want it. So that averages out to once every 10 years. I agree we should have higher standards but for whatever reason a 4 year turnaround along with any sustainable success has proved to be impossible.
I guess cuz we're in such a watered down division that's its frustrating watching former FCS schools, schools that didn't have football, and schools that killed football and brought it back outperform us. We're not in the SEC west. We are literally in the worst conference in the nation and in the weaker division. When is enough enough? The worst part is our fans defending this. Demand better.

Ummm maybe by watching other programs turn things around quickly and expecting that we could possibly do the same?

Some good points here. It’s very unrealistic for a UTEP fan to believe this program will win 10 games every year and compete for conference championships. However, that doesn’t mean we should be “excited” or “grateful” that the team is currently 3-1. Yes, going 6-6 and losing in the NM Bowl is better than going 4-8, but again, that doesn’t mean we should be “happy” with it.

CUSA sucks and other teams can and have turned it around faster. Basing on what we have seen from Dimel so far; leads some of us to believe that he is incapable of getting the program to a better level.

I would have fired him after year 2 and I don’t believe he should be extended with a 6-7 Bowl loss year. He should definitely “deserves” to finish out this year, as he did beat the “lesser” teams on the schedule.

I guess cuz we're in such a watered down division that's its frustrating watching former FCS schools, schools that didn't have football, and schools that killed football and brought it back outperform us. We're not in the SEC west. We are literally in the worst conference in the nation and in the weaker division. When is enough enough? The worst part is our fans defending this. Demand better.
I agree 100%. For decades we have watched schools rise above us as we’ve consistently sunk lower and lower. One day we would find ourselves getting the NMSU treatment and being forced to become an independent because we’re so bad.

Ummm maybe by watching other programs turn things around quickly and expecting that we could possibly do the same?
And what I’m saying is 50 years where our biggest claim to fame is a co-conference championship and some bowl losses says that’s it’s a lot harder than saying “4 years, let’s do it.”

Well it's happened in both FB and MBB in the past 20 years. By UTEP's standards at least. It can happen again, we just have to hold in to it and build on it when the opportunity presents. It can be done again, but like you said we need the right people.

And what I’m saying is 50 years where our biggest claim to fame is a co-conference championship and some bowl losses says that’s it’s a lot harder than saying “4 years, let’s do it.”
Then again we played in much tougher conferences before. How many of us thought we would be the big fish in the little pond when cusa 3.0 was formed? I did. And we have failed in both sports.

I'm just praying and wishing Dimel is able to beat ODU this week. I'm not confident in that either. It would be nice for Dimel to get his second conference victory. Think about that. Four years and chasing his second conference victory. In a conference full of similar shitty teams.

Keep in the mind that CUSA has fallen so far that the only SBC team that would accept an invite to CUSA is Texas St. And that would only be if UNT, UTSA, and Rice remain in the league.

UTEP is unable to win games in a league that has been lapped by the Sun Belt. Worst FBS conference.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Keep in the mind that CUSA has fallen so far that the only SBC team that would accept an invite to CUSA is Texas St. And that would only be if UNT, UTSA, and Rice remain in the league.

UTEP is unable to win games in a league that has been lapped by the Sun Belt. Worst FBS conference.
Not only that but some of our stronger programs actually want to leave CUSA for the Belt. How much more pathetic can it get?

Same as you defending this shit show. Sorry that some of us have higher aspirations.

I'm just curious. Whats the shit show?

Players aren't leaving, they are 3-1, most of their starters return next year.

Is the shit show ONE loss?

Then again we played in much tougher conferences before. How many of us thought we would be the big fish in the little pond when cusa 3.0 was formed? I did. And we have failed in both sports.

I'm just praying and wishing Dimel is able to beat ODU this week. I'm not confident in that either. It would be nice for Dimel to get his second conference victory. Think about that. Four years and chasing his second conference victory. In a conference full of similar shitty teams.
Every year the bar is lowered and even then they fail to achieve their objectives.

I'm just curious. Whats the shit show?

Players aren't leaving, they are 3-1, most of their starters return next year.

Is the shit show ONE loss?
I guess it started when we struggled to beat FCS schools last year. Couldn't beat a LT team missing 26 players cuz of Covid. Struggled to beat a UNM team with a crippled qb and 6 of his receivers missing. Not being able to dominate a winless BCU team that didn't play last year. The list can go on and on but I'll stick to recent events.

I guess it started when we struggled to beat FCS schools last year. Couldn't beat a LT team missing 26 players cuz of Covid. Struggled to beat a UNM team with a crippled qb and 6 of his receivers missing. Not being able to dominate a winless BCU team that didn't play last year. The list can go on and on but I'll stick to recent events.

In 2017 this program was buried. We got a coach who said it would take him several years to get take this thing out of the dumps. Now we are a young team that's winning games and looking competitive again.

UNM missing 6 players makes us a shit show but UTEP missing many key guys vs Boise also makes us a shit show.

Guys are graduating, guys are developing, its a tight group, they are competing, they're 3-1, they're favored to win a few games.....maybe they're not as far along as you would like, but its not a dumpster fire.

I've said this before, if this is Dimel’s fin season, he leaves the program in alot better shape than when he took over.

In 2017 this program was buried. We got a coach who said it would take him several years to get take this thing out of the dumps. Now we are a young team that's winning games and looking competitive again.

UNM missing 6 players makes us a shit show but UTEP missing many key guys vs Boise also makes us a shit show.

Guys are graduating, guys are developing, its a tight group, they are competing, they're 3-1, they're favored to win a few games.....maybe they're not as far along as you would like, but its not a dumpster fire.

I've said this before, if this is Dimel’s fin season, he leaves the program in alot better shape than when he took over.
Fair enough.

Good stuff. I just never bought into the narrative that Dimel inherited a D3 roster.

Kugler's 3rd and 4th year programs were a few mistakes away from .500. By his 5th year his personal off field issues consumed him. I went through a similar catastrophic event around the same time and it shook me to the core. I'm supposed to believe that a year later we're so bad we can't beat an fcs team at home? Imo Dimel set the bar so low from the beginning to justify his losing ways and why it's taking so long. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Reactions: axingfools1
Good stuff. I just never bought into the narrative that Dimel inherited a D3 roster.

Kugler's 3rd and 4th year programs were a few mistakes away from .500. By his 5th year his personal off field issues consumed him. I went through a similar catastrophic event around the same time and it shook me to the core. I'm supposed to believe that a year later we're so bad we can't beat an fcs team at home? Imo Dimel set the bar so low from the beginning to justify his losing ways and why it's taking so long. Maybe I'm being too harsh.
Miner fans being harsh over a 3-1 record is both humorous and a good sign. We all want a team that can win the conference and go bowling every year and win some of those bowls.

The college football writer/researcher, Phil Steele, wrote in his UTEP write up this year that Dimel inherited a team with only 11 scholarships to fill, lacking talent, etc. It has been a slow, painful process but if his process works then we will have a team that can compete for a title most years. This year has to be 6+ wins or he is not likely to be able to get that 5th year.

I hope he succeeds, not for his sake but for the sake of the program. If starting over with a coach means a new 5 year plan, that will suck. If someone else comes in and wins right away then great. It's a crap shoot when hiring a new coach.

We could look at that as an ability our coaches have to spot way under the radar talent and develop it. Right now Hardison is rated as rhe 32nd best qb in the country based on efficiency and he is the 3rd rated in CUSA. Don't know if that will hold up over the season but we are about to find out if that stat means anything when ODU shows up.

Reactions: JCorona

I don't disagree. For the 1st half we looked like we belonged then the turnovers and punt return changed the game. I believe the two teams were closer than the score showed. I actually watched the game twice and analyzed. I will say the coaches did have a decent game plan, but definitely didn't adjust like Boise St. did. The other was UTEP just stepping on their own feet. We'll see what happens when they play UTSA and UAB this year. Those two teams are gonna be the closest we have left to Boise. If they get trounced and make the same mistakes then even if UTEP goes 6-6 and loses bowl game. I'd say we need to move forward with a new Coach!

Reactions: JCorona
Up to #97 on CBS rankings

#115 USM
#83 LT
#93 FAU
#33 UTSA
#114 UNT
#117 RICE
#61 UAB

Remaining

We have to beat USM or we could be looking at a losing record by the next time we have a "crappy" team on our schedule.

Reactions: picks up
In what alternate universe is UTEP fb ranked ahead of USC, Miami, WVU, Florida State and U Dub?!?
Also look who our defense is tied with...

Yes we know sos, quality of opponents, blah blah I don't give a damn...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT