Remaining

#90 La Tech
#87 FAU
#27 UTSA
#117 UNT
#112 RICE
#58 UAB

đź‘€
That may be a bit high for who who've played, but I'll take it. Beat La Tech and it'll mean we're on our way, Beat UTSA at home and we have arrived. Right now if I had to call it, I'd comfortably add 2 wins to my pre season prediction of 5-7 with a pretty good chance of 8-4, somewhat of a chance 9-3, slim to none chance 10-2 and a Dumb and Dumber's 1 in a million chance of 11-1. Nice to have hopes this year though.

Updated rankings...

UTEP up to #63

Remaining

#90 La Tech
#87 FAU
#27 UTSA
#117 UNT
#112 RICE
#58 UAB

đź‘€
And yet it’s Miners +7 at home Saturday.

The line doesn’t mean nothing.
Only to bettors and sports books. If you don’t bet on the game and UTEP loses by 5, do you celebrate the covering of the spread? No. “Yay we lost by 5 and covered!!!!”

Senter is not going to say to Dimel, “The wins and losses aren’t there, but you have covered in 60% of your games. How bout an extension?”

It doesn’t matter to anyone except people betting on that game. And I really doubt many people are betting on La Tech vs UTEP. Even then, I would say most bets involving games like that are cheap, low risk, multiple team parlays.

Only to bettors and sports books. If you don’t bet on the game and UTEP loses by 5, do you celebrate the covering of the spread? No. “Yay we lost by 5 and covered!!!!”

Senter is not going to say to Dimel, “The wins and losses aren’t there, but you have covered in 60% of your games. How bout an extension?”

It doesn’t matter to anyone except people betting on that game. And I really doubt many people are betting on La Tech vs UTEP. Even then, I would say most bets involving games like that are cheap, low risk, multiple team parlays.
It means that Vegas has to give a touchdown to UTEP to get gamblers to bet on them. With the game at home, that’s more like 10 points.

Updated!

Up to #51

Games Remaining

#89 FAU
#24 UTSA
#117 UNT
#114 RICE
#55 UAB

According to this poll we're ranked higher than 4 of the 5 teams left on our schedule.

Updated!

Up to #51

Games Remaining

#89 FAU
#24 UTSA
#117 UNT
#114 RICE
#55 UAB

According to this poll we're ranked higher than 4 of the 5 teams left on our schedule.

I saw that too. We are the second highest ranked team in CUSA. However I'd say rn we're probably about the 4th or 5th best team in CUSA. Our defense is obviously elite, but teams like UAB, Marshall, UTSA are a think a notch above with really good offenses and decent defenses. We'll get a chance to prove how legit we are by facing a pretty decent FAU team on the road in 2 weeks and then the Big Home game against UTSA. Never thought I'd say that last statement UTSA vs Utep a Big game!? Say that out loud and it doesn't even sound right, but I'll take it!

I saw that too. We are the second highest ranked team in CUSA. However I'd say rn we're probably about the 4th or 5th best team in CUSA. Our defense is obviously elite, but teams like UAB, Marshall, UTSA are a think a notch above with really good offenses and decent defenses. We'll get a chance to prove how legit we are by facing a pretty decent FAU team on the road in 2 weeks and then the Big Home game against UTSA. Never thought I'd say that last statement UTSA vs Utep a Big game!? Say that out loud and it doesn't even sound right, but I'll take it!
Our offense is ranked higher than UAB's.

Never thought I'd say that last statement UTSA vs Utep a Big game!? Say that out loud and it doesn't even sound right, but I'll take it!

I work with a ton of UTSA grads. For a while there it was a nice rivalry, we would always win in San Antonio and they would always win in El Paso. Then it went all one sided and the rivalry lost its luster, I had to display a UTSA flag at work. If UTEP trips up UTSA the rivalry is back on. GO MINERS!

I work with a ton of UTSA grads. For a while there it was a nice rivalry, we would always win in San Antonio and they would always win in El Paso. Then it went all one sided and the rivalry lost its luster, I had to display a UTSA flag at work. If UTEP trips up UTSA the rivalry is back on. GO MINERS!
Not a rivalry. If UTSA were 0-7 or UTEP were 1-6, nobody would give a shit about the upcoming game.

It's a rivalry outside of El Paso. Maybe it's cuz very few if any UTSA or San Antonio natives move to El Paso. Of course no one gives a shit when a team is 1-7. I have friends in Austin that graduated from UTSA or are from San Antonio that give me a hard time everytime we lose to them.

Updated!

Up to #51

Games Remaining

#89 FAU
#24 UTSA
#117 UNT
#114 RICE
#55 UAB

There are 3 teams from the MWC ranked higher than UTEP and Boise State is not one of them. UTEP trending up and BSU trending down.

Reactions: JCorona
There are 3 teams from the MWC ranked higher than UTEP and Boise State is not one of them. UTEP trending up and BSU trending down.
I think the game would have been closer but their crowd had a big impact on us. UTEP wasn't prepared for the atmosphere. They're also a very talented team despite what their record says. I was hesitant to declare them the old Boise St cuz of their new coach. The recruiting and talent the last four years is still there for them, the coaching not so much.

I think the game would have been closer but their crowd had a big impact on us. UTEP wasn't prepared for the atmosphere. They're also a very talented team despite what their record says. I was hesitant to declare them the old Boise St cuz of their new coach. The recruiting and talent the last four years is still there for them, the coaching not so much.
Well losing 6 turnovers vs 1 for BSU was huge. Losing at Boise St was expected at that point in the season but not 54-13.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Well to be fair every conference team has beat us the last 4 years.

If Boise St played Utep now in El Paso I think we win. If we played them again at this point in Boise St it'd be alot closer. Fans get too tied up in one result and don't see the development or improvement of teams like coaches or ex players. Ohio St. the year they won the Championship lost to a bad Purdue team. One game doesn't make a season, but many of you seem to not let one result to Boise go. That's a lifetime ago in football terms. We're a much more confident team now with a nasty defense.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
If Boise St played Utep now in El Paso I think we win. If we played them again at this point in Boise St it'd be alot closer. Fans get too tied up in one result and don't see the development or improvement of teams like coaches or ex players. Ohio St. the year they won the Championship lost to a bad Purdue team. One game doesn't make a season, but many of you seem to not let one result to Boise go. That's a lifetime ago in football terms. We're a much more confident team now with a nasty defense.
I agree but I clearly remember telling you this wasn't the same old Boise St. Avalos hadn't proven himself. This blow out loss looks worse every time they lose. Every team at this level will experience a blow out once in a while and shouldn’t be the determining factor of the season. This defense would definitely hold BCU and Boise to lower scores if we played again.

Fair, but although it's more recent, one game of nasty defense doesn't define our team either. I agree that we are improving and the result might be different now, but thats all hypothetical and we ALL know it doesn't work that way.

Like you said though the team is definitely improving. I wonder how we match up with let's say Air Force who just beat Boise St. and could be a potential bowl match up for us?

Fair, but although it's more recent, one game of nasty defense doesn't define our team either. I agree that we are improving and the result might be different now, but thats all hypothetical and we ALL know it doesn't work that way.

Like you said though the team is definitely improving. I wonder how we match up with let's say Air Force who just beat Boise St. and could be a potential bowl match up for us?
I agree there's more to do and prove absolutely. However even though we've played crappy teams I wouldn't say 14th ranked defense is only one game of Nasty D!

Fair, but although it's more recent, one game of nasty defense doesn't define our team either.
And I would say that game was defined more by our 6-turnover performance than our defense. Repeatedly giving Boise a short field makes our defense look worse than it was.

Reactions: nattybry
No, but this upcoming game is the type of game where a rivalry can develop. If UTEP spoils a top-25 UTSA, that will sting a few fans.
Feral, NoWins is just a straight up Debbie Downer with slight of hand sensibility that postures on here that there is care for UTEP athletics. UTEP used to give reports about ticket sales but obviously they don't anymore and it's moot to guesstimate.

There was nobody but a few thousand for the 10/26/1985 BYU game but sell out the SB for a NMSU game twenty one years ago, but just a paltry 26,793 for a #12 Houston team in 2009 and Houston was the hottest team in country at the time. Who knows what will be in the seats the following weekend?

If they come, great! If they don't, you keep on going.

Have you ever read from NoWins. "Wow, the defense look great tonight!" or "Cowing had a really good game!"? Notice how NoWins never mentions the good things that happens with a player, much less Dimel?

And don't give the "I'm not a cheerleader or rah rah type of person" NoWins. Dimel says he is not a "rah rah" coach either but you don't see Dimel shitting the dry pavement for people to step on. You on the other hand, are.

2Step’s favorite things to talk about - old games that sometimes he remembers wrong, that nobody cares about today and me. Always bringing me up.

Still burnt because of his dumb, uneducated predication that he didn’t have the balls to back up.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Moved up to #47 on the bye week

Remaining games

#73 FAU
#22 UTSA
#120 UNT
#107 RICE
#67 UAB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT