ADVERTISEMENT

1988 Wyoming vs UTEP: How KVIA and UTEP blew opportunity

I remember watching that game as a kid, and this was my reality check that UTEP is not very good. I was too little to remember but IF Bob Stull would have stayed at UTEP could The Miners have continued on their upward trajectory, or was the downfall under David Lee inevitable?

I remember watching that game as a kid, and this was my reality check that UTEP is not very good. I was too little to remember but IF Bob Stull would have stayed at UTEP could The Miners have continued on their upward trajectory, or was the downfall under David Lee inevitable?
I remembered how stunned I was how WYO just took UTEP behind the woodshed and “seal clubbed” the Miners. I was expecting a back alley dog fight.

Didn’t their qb propose to his girlfriend (a WYO cheerleader) before, during or after the game? (It was that ugly as commentators tried to keep it interesting)

Not that it was any consolation to UTEP, but I remember that Wyoming team lost pretty badly to Houston a week later. Then in the Holiday Bowl I remember my brother and I watched the game on ESPN to see a RB who was being hyped from Oklahoma State as a future NFL stud.

Barry Sanders rushed for 222 yards and 5 touchdowns as Wyoming got obliterated

Reactions: MinerFan79
A buddy of mine found this gem on YouTube. Great highlites of UTEP from that year. An interesting story about KVIA leading up to that game someone did good research on.

Why did they use THAT Pete in the thumbnail? Pete of that era was Hardhat Pete (also known as Best Pete).

6726a5152244d489b5cb93bd71f1c20e.png

I'm as big a homer as they come but you should never, and I mean NEVER bet on UTEP.
I used to go to Juarez and bet the spread against UTEP back in the day. By October you could almost guarantee they they wouldn’t cover because by the end of the season they were done.

Thanks for letting me re-live those memories, 2step. That was my senior year at UTEP. We were good in both football and basketball that year, with great players in each sport. Hopefully that will happen again soon, but as a Miner fan I know not to hold my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT