ADVERTISEMENT

2003-04 Team "Recognition"

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
I happened to get tickets to the game last Saturday, it felt like the task of recognizing the team fell on 3 college interns who were upset they got extra work

1) Nothing against the Tiguas and they do a lot for UTEP, but why have a ritual dance for 4-5 minutes on the same night? Halftime is only 15 minutes, so you are down to 10, and with warmups, maybe down to 6-7 minutes, thats what you devote to recognize this team?

2) No fanfare for the intros, they rushed through it and just announced their names. Fili, OT, Jason Williams, Smallwood are legendary players, yet they got the same intro as 4-5 student managers.
Why not say "Roy Smallwood, averaged 12.7 points, 5.8 rebounds, and his key rebound against Central Florida sealed a 15 point comeback" (Im making that up but you get the point)
Fili Rivera, "the heart of the team, lead UTEP to 61 wins in 2 years... (Nope just Fili Rivera, same as some manager I don't even remember)

3) They then show a clip of OT with no sound, and everyone is confused, then they unfurl the banner with his jersey, again very lackadiasical and rushed, getting your jersey retired is in itself a halftime event and a major accomplishment, yet UTEP feels they can squeeze that in because we have to do a Peter Piper promo.

On the subject of in-game entertainment, UTEP is downright boring, the woman who emcee's the events that wears the denim jacket (and does football) yelling does nothing special and having her do a promo every single timeout, really we cant let fans enjoy the game itself or listen to a band without some goofy money grab?

1) "ok Miner fans its SUPER EASY, all Jose has to do is run 50 yards, do 15 burpees, and kick a 65 yard field goal in less than 14 seconds and he wins a brand new Kia" - yeah SUPER EASY, that even Gavin Baechle would be "no way".
2) I happened to be in Section V and "won" a free Cane's for being the loudest section, yet the cheerleaders give out like 7 coupons and leave - ok
3) Why do they have a weather report pre-game, they do know the game is indoors? Hey Miner fans, check out the weather "At halftime it will be a chilly 42 degrees", ok thanks as I sit in 68 degree climate controlled gym
4) Why not have a score ticker or show some scores, "Hey Miner fans, check out the Alameda Temp Agency scoreboard" and show Top 25/C-USA updates - I bet fans like that more. Yes we have score apps on our phones (ESPN/The Score/Yahoo), but pretty sure we all have at least 1 weather app as well.

And as Ray Sanchez would say, on the subject of ESPN+ Crews:

1) Medina - we know the guys in white play for UTEP. You don't have to say, "And Tae Hardy hits a 3 for the Minerrrrrs", "Otis Frazier with the basket for the Minersssss", remember we are watching the same game, were not 4 years old, we can follow the action, just give updates, like his 3rd foul or up to 11 points, etc and tell us who hit the basket. But then again, I always wonder, who is this Tae Hardy they keep talking about, does he play for us, scratch that nevermind, that actually helps because I forget he plays for us so keep doing what you are doing.

Last edited:
I happened to get tickets to the game last Saturday, it felt like the task of recognizing the team fell on 3 college interns who were upset they got extra work

1) Nothing against the Tiguas and they do a lot for UTEP, but why have a ritual dance for 4-5 minutes on the same night? Halftime is only 15 minutes, so you are down to 10, and with warmups, maybe down to 6-7 minutes, thats what you devote to recognize this team?

2) No fanfare for the intros, they rushed through it and just announced their names. Fili, OT, Jason Williams, Smallwood are legendary players, yet they got the same intro as 4-5 student managers.
Why not say "Roy Smallwood, averaged 12.7 points, 5.8 rebounds, and his key rebound against Central Florida sealed a 15 point comeback" (Im making that up but you get the point)
Fili Rivera, "the heart of the team, lead UTEP to 61 wins in 2 years... (Nope just Fili Rivera, same as some manager I don't even remember)

3) They then show a clip of OT with no sound, and everyone is confused, then they unfurl the banner with his jersey, again very lackadiasical and rushed, getting your jersey retired is in itself a halftime event and a major accomplishment, yet UTEP feels they can squeeze that in because we have to do a Peter Piper promo.

On the subject of in-game entertainment, UTEP is downright boring, the woman who emcee's the events that wears the denim jacket (and does football) yelling does nothing special and having her do a promo every single timeout, really we cant let fans enjoy the game itself or listen to a band without some goofy money grab?

1) "ok Miner fans its SUPER EASY, all Jose has to do is run 50 yards, do 15 burpees, and kick a 65 yard field goal in less than 14 seconds and he wins a brand new Kia" - yeah SUPER EASY, that even Gavin Baechle would be "no way".
2) I happened to be in Section V and "won" a free Cane's for being the loudest section, yet the cheerleaders give out like 7 coupons and leave - ok
3) Why do they have a weather report pre-game, they do know the game is indoors? Hey Miner fans, check out the weather "At halftime it will be a chilly 42 degrees", ok thanks as I sit in 68 degree climate controlled gym
4) Why not have a score ticker or show some scores, "Hey Miner fans, check out the Alameda Temp Agency scoreboard" and show Top 25/C-USA updates - I bet fans like that more. Yes we have score apps on our phones (ESPN/The Score/Yahoo), but pretty sure we all have at least 1 weather app as well.

1) Medina - we know the guys in white play for UTEP. You don't have to say, "And Tae Hardy hits a 3 for the Minerrrrrs", "Otis Frazier with the basket for the Minersssss", remember we are watching the same game, were not 4 years old, we can follow the action, just give updates, like his 3rd foul or up to 11 points, etc and tell us who hit the basket. But then again, I always wonder, who is this Tae Hardy they keep talking about, does he play for us, scratch that nevermind, that actually helps because I forget he plays for us so keep doing what you are doing.
It’s UTEP. They do things the UTEP way. What did you expect? 🤡

This post is so spot-on! Someone (maybe me) needs to copy this and forward it to Senter. (He doesn't read MinerDigs.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT