ADVERTISEMENT

2023 CUSA Football Previews

Yes. For CUSA standards (WKU and Liberty are now the standard bearers since Marshall left), UTEP is loaded. However, UTEP has a very underachieving, mistake prone coaching staff.
And our senior QB is 4th team. Hankins is over rated probably because of our line.

It’s almost time for publications to start printing their pre season predictions. I’ll start it off with this one.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Does this mean we have one of the most talented teams in the conference?
Hard to get excited with Dimel in charge of the offense and Hardison as the starting QB. I see UTEP involved in lots of 13-10 ball games. A running QB who could pass would really open up the offense and help put points on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
The media deal somehow improved after losing that insane amount of programs.

No more damned CUSA TV. Hallelujah.
Depends on how you look at it. The previous CUSA deal was all over the place because they didn’t want to play Tuesday and Wednesday games. This time, they had no choice. It would have been CBSSN and ESPN+ only.

While the money went up, also due to inflation, UTEP will now play in front of “10,000” fans for the NMSU game, instead of 30,000 because it’s on a Wednesday now. Luckily, their other 2 Wednesday games are on the road.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Depends on how you look at it. The previous CUSA deal was all over the place because they didn’t want to play Tuesday and Wednesday games. This time, they had no choice. It would have been CBSSN and ESPN+ only.

While the money went up, also due to inflation, UTEP will now play in front of “10,000” fans for the NMSU game, instead of 30,000 because it’s on a Wednesday now. Luckily, their other 2 Wednesday games are on the road.
That is one thing I am pissed about. This would have been the perfect rivalry week game, but it is midweek and that will be a hard sell for both fan bases.

Midweek games aren’t that bad. I like them. Gives you something to do during the week then you have the entire weekend free to do whatever you want.
I’m not arguing or saying you’re wrong, but from what “lens” are you speaking from? Someone that doesn’t mind attending midweek games or someone that watches midweek games?

And our senior QB is 4th team. Hankins is over rated probably because of our line.

Gavin Hardison can be a good QB- needs to make better decisions on 3rd downs - maybe run a little more. But he does have a cannon and experience- also a victim had a lot- a lot - a lot of dropped balls that where on target. He has talent (proven during the bowl season). Hope he has a good year. Dimel’s play calling maybe more of the issue.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Gavin Hardison can be a good QB- needs to make better decisions on 3rd downs - maybe run a little more. But he does have a cannon and experience- also a victim had a lot- a lot - a lot of dropped balls that where on target. He has talent (proven during the bowl season). Hope he has a good year. Dimel’s play calling maybe more of the issue.
I think we may be missing something. I have read a LOT of articles praising Hardison. Some stating he has pro type talent. I don't see it, but wth do I know?

I think we may be missing something. I have read a LOT of articles praising Hardison. Some stating he has pro type talent. I don't see it, but wth do I know?
We have to trust our own eyes. We’ve seen the kid play for 3+ full years. He is what he is…a kid with a strong arm who can really fling the ball but with minimal control, and up til this point, shoddy decision making skills.

No analyst can change my mind about that. Only GH himself could with a really good year.

You obviously has the arm strength, question is about his touch and decision making. The decision making may be the lack of coaching he is getting!
Good points. I have long thought Hardison possesses the raw physical tools to be a decent QB. What he lacks is a competent coach that can correct his flaws and “coach him up”.

The schedule looks favorable for UTEP to start 3-0, with all of Northwestern’s off the field issues. The problem is you have Dimel coaching this team.

The schedule looks favorable for UTEP to start 3-0, with all of Northwestern’s off the field issues. The problem is you have Dimel coaching this team.
I don’t know if I would use the term favorable. I would never believe UTEP would be favored over a P5 school.

Jax St and UIW won’t be cakewalks either.

Reactions: unihorn
Doesn't matter, cause we don't play them

sorry-anchorman.gif

I see what you’re saying. I think we should start 8-1. For a 6th year coach his team and system should be more advanced than a lot of our opponents.

@ Jacksonville St. 2’nd year HC. Transitioning to FBS.

IW. 1st year HC. FCS team.

@NorthWestern. 1st year intern HC. A mess right now.

@ Arizona. 3rd year HC. But haven’t been very good lately. Might have a break out year though.

UNLV. 1st year HC. Historically as bad as UTEP.

La Tech. 2nd year HC. Will he improve on the 3 wins from last season?

@FIU. 2nd year HC. They could be turning the corner but we should still be ahead of them.

NMSU. 2nd year HC. Quickly rising. Can we catch them before they catch us?

@SHSU. Experienced HC but transitioning to FBS.

I see what you’re saying. I think we should start 8-1. For a 6th year coach his team and system should be more advanced than a lot of our opponents.

@ Jacksonville St. 2’nd year HC. Transitioning to FBS.

IW. 1st year HC. FCS team.

@NorthWestern. 1st year intern HC. A mess right now.

@ Arizona. 3rd year HC. But haven’t been very good lately. Might have a break out year though.

UNLV. 1st year HC. Historically as bad as UTEP.

La Tech. 2nd year HC. Will he improve on the 3 wins from last season?

@FIU. 2nd year HC. They could be turning the corner but we should still be ahead of them.

NMSU. 2nd year HC. Quickly rising. Can we catch them before they catch us?

@SHSU. Experienced HC but transitioning to FBS.
You lost me at advanced system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT