ADVERTISEMENT

2nd year coaches

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
Pat Kelsey lead the College of Charleston to a 31-3 record, Tournament champions, co-CAA regular season champions, and was ranked in the Top 25 in his second year. Going to the big dance now.

Tim Miles is 19-12 at San Jose St. They went 10-8 in the MWC and finished in 5th place, above UNM and UNLV. Largest crowd of the season was 3,371. SJSU was 1-17 last year in the MWC.

Why are we okay with Bronzeing’s results? There’s no excuse for SJSU to have more success than UTEP in basketball. There should be more people upset with his performance as our coach. We’re in recruiting battles with D2 schools and the bottom of D1.

Who is defending Golding at this point? I'd like to understand why? I'm not asking him to be fired this year, but I think next year should be his last year if he doesn't have us competing for the CUSA title (be atleast top 3). He can't recruit and I think his coaching ability was way overrated.

I also give him one more year, but we have to be one or two in conference. Have to have a liglit chance of going dancing. He needs to recruit at a much higher level,
He recruited athletes not basketball players.

:rolleyes:

I can't wait until Golding, Senter, and Dimel are fired. The circus has to end sometime.

“That’s March, man. Every team has an equal opportunity,” Golding said. “The ball is going to get tipped. There is 40 minutes to play. There’s going to be a winner or loser, and if you win, you get to survive and advance. If you lose your season comes to an end.”

Golding has an overall better record than Miles at their current school. Kelsey is a nice story. How often does that happen though?

Also Austin Peay decided after 2 seasons, their coach wasn’t good enough.

Golding won 20 games his first season (after losing Bryson Williams) and replaced all but 3 of his players his second season. The team he cobbled together was competitive but flawed. We now have a NIL collective specifically to support the basketball team and I want to see what types of players he can bring in with that backing. Firing coaches every two seasons isn't a recipe to build anything.

Golding has an overall better record than Miles at their current school. Kelsey is a nice story. How often does that happen though?
Does overall record really matter? Kelsey is a nice story. Just pointing out that it doesn’t take 4-6 years to “build a winner” like when Terry, Floyd, and Barbee started. It can be done in 1 year. It only takes 1 year to get good players and coach them to some kind of championship.

Bronzeing is battling with D2 schools for recruits. Not to mention Givence is the only scholarship player that is for sure not returning next year. So he is either going to run it back with these bums or get rid of a few and bring in guys wanted by Barry and Anchorage.

Might as well, wipe the slate clean.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Golding won 20 games his first season (after losing Bryson Williams) and replaced all but 3 of his players his second season. The team he cobbled together was competitive but flawed. We now have a NIL collective specifically to support the basketball team and I want to see what types of players he can bring in with that backing. Firing coaches every two seasons isn't a recipe to build anything.
Winning 20 games doesn’t mean shit anymore. Especially when they’re wins over D2, weak opponents, and a depleted team in a garbage tournament.

They weren’t “cobbled together”. He recruited them, he was the coach the whole time. He did not take over the team a week before school started. He recruited “Rio”. He did not take Rio as a favor to Chris Jans or NMSU.

Stop with the excuses.

In today’s game you may have success one year, half your team leaves, and you are worth a crap the next year. I think it’s going to be very hard for mid major coaches to be consistently good.
That said Golding needs to do a way better job of recruiting than what we have seen.

In today’s game you may have success one year, half your team leaves, and you are worth a crap the next year. I think it’s going to be very hard for mid major coaches to be consistently good.
That said Golding needs to do a way better job of recruiting than what we have seen.
Andy Kennedy has gone 22-7, 27-8, and 22-8 in his 3 seasons at UAB. Finished 2nd or 3rd in CUSA every year and has made the NCAAs. UAB can do it, but not UTEP???

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Does overall record really matter? Kelsey is a nice story. Just pointing out that it doesn’t take 4-6 years to “build a winner” like when Terry, Floyd, and Barbee started. It can be done in 1 year. It only takes 1 year to get good players and coach them to some kind of championship.

Bronzeing is battling with D2 schools for recruits. Not to mention Givence is the only scholarship player that is for sure not returning next year. So he is either going to run it back with these bums or get rid of a few and bring in guys wanted by Barry and Anchorage.

Might as well, wipe the slate clean.
One out of 355 schools did it in one year. Yeah it can be done but rarely is it.

One out of 355 schools did it in one year. Yeah it can be done but rarely is it.
Did what? It takes 1 year to turn a loser into a winner.

Unless you’re solely recruiting HS guys and tell the fans you’re only recruiting HS guys, you can “turn it around” in 1 season. Billy Gillispie did it and he did it without the portal. Bronzeing isn’t recruiting HS guys. His only HS recruit didn’t a play a game this year and who knows if he will ever play here.

Did what? It takes 1 year to turn a loser into a winner.

Unless you’re solely recruiting HS guys and tell the fans you’re only recruiting HS guys, you can “turn it around” in 1 season. Billy Gillispie did it and he did it without the portal. Bronzeing isn’t recruiting HS guys. His only HS recruit didn’t a play a game this year and who knows if he will ever play here.
So why is there only one example of a coach turning it around in one year? If it can be done in one year then every program should be doing it.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So why is there only one example of a coach turning it around in one year? If it can be done in one year then every program should be doing it.
Tobin Anderson was hired by FDU this year. Won 4 games last year, won 19 this year and made the NCAA Tournament. Is that not “turning it around”? +15 wins and a tournament appearance. There’s lot of examples over the years.

Tobin Anderson was hired by FDU this year. Won 4 games last year, won 19 this year and made the NCAA Tournament. Is that not “turning it around”? +15 wins and a tournament appearance. There’s lot of examples over the years.
I’m sure I can find at least 10x more examples of a coach not turning it around in one year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I’m sure I can find at least 10x more examples of a coach not turning it around in one year.
Way more than 10X. Less than 3% of teams each year make the kind of turnaround NoWins keeps mentioning.

It would be great if it happened for UTEP. It's just highly unlikely percentage wise.

NoWins I have to ask the purpose of this post. I think it's pretty clear everyone (well the vast majority) of fans on here want UTEP to win. But it's like a dead horse - we have another president that clearly doesn't give a DAMN about athletics who hired an incompetent AD. No amount of complaining or boycotting games will fix it. They're clearly OK with the status quo. I'm not saying your points are invalid - it's just clear that it will never change - for the better anyway. It's gonna get much worse.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Way more than 10X. Less than 3% of teams each year make the kind of turnaround NoWins keeps mentioning.

It would be great if it happened for UTEP. It's just highly unlikely percentage wise.
Yes, it is highly unlikely. The point is, it doesn’t take 4 years to get your own players. Doesn’t mean we expect a NCAA tournament team in year 1. I am just saying that you can turnover your roster quickly. He has his own players. He doesn’t have Eric Vila or Kobe Magee on scholarship for two more years and has to deal with it.

NoWins I have to ask the purpose of this post. I think it's pretty clear everyone (well the vast majority) of fans on here want UTEP to win. But it's like a dead horse - we have another president that clearly doesn't give a DAMN about athletics who hired an incompetent AD. No amount of complaining or boycotting games will fix it. They're clearly OK with the status quo. I'm not saying your points are invalid - it's just clear that it will never change - for the better anyway. It's gonna get much worse.
Okay and fans are just supposed to accept it? If you don’t show displeasure, you are accepting whatever they give you.

I care about UTEP. I want them to succeed. I know they can succeed.

Yes, it is highly unlikely. The point is, it doesn’t take 4 years to get your own players. Doesn’t mean we expect a NCAA tournament team in year 1. I am just saying that you can turnover your roster quickly. He has his own players. He doesn’t have Eric Vila or Kobe Magee on scholarship for two more years and has to deal with it.
I agree with that. I'm on board with CJG, partially because we have no say in the matter, for one more year. If he doesn't produce next year, my hope would be that he is let go. 3 years is reasonable in this day and age, imo.

I agree with that. I'm on board with CJG, partially because we have no say in the matter, for one more year. If he doesn't produce next year, my hope would be that he is let go. 3 years is reasonable in this day and age, imo.
I also agree. The lack of the NIL last year is a big factor (not an excuse). The roster looked every bit like a non-NIL one. However, with something in place this year, the pressure is on Golding to put together a better roster. Any finish similar to this year, and he needs to be gone.

Since San Jose is the cause celebre on this board now, I caught most of their game with Nevada this evening. Honestly, I didnt see too much difference between us and them. Except they had a guy who could score and is an NBA prospect according to the announcers.

There's a lot of chatter about "getting better players" next year. We've been "getting better players" for the last decade and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. I think we have a bunch of good role players on the team right now. But they're role player. Golding needs to find a difference maker and we should be all right. Will he? TBD.

Is there an example of a mid major paying 2.1 million to buy out a coach with a winning record?

Is there an example of a mid major paying 2.1 million to buy out a coach with a winning record?
Don’t care to look it up. ETSU will be paying around $1,000,000 to this guy and their athletics budget is nearly half of UTEPs. So effects them about the same scale.

Bronzeing’s “winning record” is 2 games above .500 and if you take out the wins over D2 schools, it’s under .500.

Okay and fans are just supposed to accept it? If you don’t show displeasure, you are accepting whatever they give you.

I care about UTEP. I want them to succeed. I know they can succeed.
You don’t buy tickets any way, so how are you showing displeasure? By being a message board Karen?

Uni and MF79 said it before I could... They don't give a damn about a message board dude. Come on... They don't care that the Don is damn near empty which is how fans "show their displeasure". They just don't care. They never will. It's the dead horse or beating our heads against the wall, whatever analogy you want to use. The only other thing that I can think of is hammering the president with emails, snail mail or any other form of communication to voice our grievances. Doubt it will do anything but it's worth a shot and will probably work better than ppl bitching on a message board.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Another guy that turned it around fast was Steve Lutz at AMCC (although we beat them).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT