ADVERTISEMENT

2nd year coaches

Clearly they already have. They’re not going to axe a guy who held the team forget her after mass turmoil and then led them to win the Big 12 Tourney. He’s the guy and that seems to upset you
Look, if you can get, say, Jay Wright or Billy Donovan, you do it if you’re UT.

Texas HS basketball might be the best in the nation now. New Moody Center. $$$ to burn. It’s a big time attractive job.

Look, if you can get, say, Jay Wright or Billy Donovan, you do it if you’re UT.

Texas HS basketball might be the best in the nation now. New Moody Center. $$$ to burn. It’s a big time attractive job.
Yep. I don't see Terry as a shoe in at all. It will be tough for UT boosters to get past Terry's performance as a head coach previously. Terry is putting Del Conte in a tough spot though. That said, Terry will have other P5 offers if the UT deal falls through; and he will likely bring some of the current staff, as well as a couple of highly rated recruits with him.

Yep. I don't see Terry as a shoe in at all. It will be tough for UT boosters to get past Terry's performance as a head coach previously. Terry is putting Del Conte in a tough spot though. That said, Terry will have other P5 offers if the UT deal falls through; and he will likely bring some of the current staff, as well as a couple of highly rated recruits with him.
I don’t think it’s a tough spot. If you can get a home run hire you do it. If you can’t and Terry fumbles in the tourney, you drop down a level from home run (say Arky or AZ coach). If Terry goes deep, then he’s earned it, but you don’t give him a stupid big deal.

I don’t think it’s a tough spot. If you can get a home run hire you do it. If you can’t and Terry fumbles in the tourney, you drop down a level from home run (say Arky or AZ coach). If Terry goes deep, then he’s earned it, but you don’t give him a stupid big deal.
You really don’t like him do you ?

Reactions: EPUTEP
One more win and he gets the job. It’s been a long time since Texas made the sweet 16.

Reactions: EPUTEP
He has given CRT props all year, while many of the rest of us doubted him the whole way.
Here’s the deal. If I were a UT guy, I would be concerned based on his record at Fresno and UTEP. He couldn’t beat UNT and SDSU, but we’re going to trust him to be a Top 25 team year in year out, with his own players??

Starting in 24-25, he will be coaching in the same conference as Beard. I wouldn’t bet on Terry over Beard, would you????

Here’s the deal. If I were a UT guy, I would be concerned based on his record at Fresno and UTEP. He couldn’t beat UNT and SDSU, but we’re going to trust him to be a Top 25 team year in year out, with his own players??

Starting in 24-25, he will be coaching in the same conference as Beard. I wouldn’t bet on Terry over Beard, would you????
I’ve said it all year, I don’t think CRT is all that good of an Xs and Os coach. He may be a solid recruiter, however he’s average at best court side. His 55% winning percentage, and watching his in game decisions for 3 years are all I need to come to that conclusion.

I am just responding to the person who said something to the effect of “you don’t like him at all…?”, that it is apparent that unihorn has been in support of CRT since taking over for Beard. Nada mas.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
16 seed FDU is beating 1 seed Purdue in the 2nd half right now. FDU was 4-22 last year and hired some guy from D2.

Bronzeing couldn’t even compete with last place WAC team NMSU or Big East bottom dweller DePaul on the road during year 2.

How did Sul Ross do this year? Maybe we should go get that guy.
Just wait til he gets the big call up to Lamar U, and in his 2nd year they go in as a 16 seed and topple mighty Kansas. Just you wait.

He’ll be another one that just got away.

Reactions: JCorona
Seems to me the Miners have found the most success when hiring the top assistant from a major program.

Floyd was the Experienced Veteran looking for one more hurrah.

Terry was the Coach who was leading a solid program looking for something else.

Golding was the NCAA Tournament Darling who caught lightning in a bottle.

The difference between the last 3 hires and the previous 4 hires, the last 3 had been to the Tournament and sat at the podium.

The guys who have done well here were in someone else’s shadow previously and were hungry to let the Game know their name.

Not what I am projecting. Only that it can be done in 1 year. Doesn’t take 4 years like Bronzeing, OffSenter, and Zay/JoeJohnSr type fans want you to believe.
I’m just giving you shit. Let me just ask you, say we get rid of Golding, what do you think the likelihood is that things turn around in a season? Two seasons?

I’m just giving you shit. Let me just ask you, say we get rid of Golding, what do you think the likelihood is that things turn around in a season? Two seasons?
I cannot give you a definitive answer. There’s lots of variables. If UTEP were to hire some D2 coach, were honest about how they might struggle for 2 years, and they were paying him a lot less than Bronzeing, that’s one thing. Going out and hiring another similar coach for more money, demands greater expectations. That is why there is no direct answer from me.

By Bronzeing’s own words, he has high expectations here: “The standard hasn't changed," Golding continued. "We have to continue to get creative. We have to continue to push the envelope. We got to quit thinking average is okay around here. Average is not okay around here if we want to be where we want to be. That was the problem with (Abilene Christian). They were okay with average. Average was accepted and celebrated. Average should never be celebrated at UTEP. When you walk into the Don and you see the history, you see the tradition, we have to get it back to that standard. To get it back to that standard, you have to have a high standard and we're chasing that."

Read More: UTEP Basketball Season Preview: Year Two of Joe Golding Begins | https://krod.com/utep-mens-basketba...egins/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Last edited:
I cannot give you a definitive answer. There’s lots of variables. If UTEP were to hire some D2 coach, were honest about how they might struggle for 2 years, and they were paying him a lot less than Bronzeing, that’s one thing. Going out and hiring another similar coach for more money, demands greater expectations. That is why there is no direct answer from me.

By Bronzeing’s own words, he has high expectations here: “The standard hasn't changed," Golding continued. "We have to continue to get creative. We have to continue to push the envelope. We got to quit thinking average is okay around here. Average is not okay around here if we want to be where we want to be. That was the problem with (Abilene Christian). They were okay with average. Average was accepted and celebrated. Average should never be celebrated at UTEP. When you walk into the Don and you see the history, you see the tradition, we have to get it back to that standard. To get it back to that standard, you have to have a high standard and we're chasing that."

Read More: UTEP Basketball Season Preview: Year Two of Joe Golding Begins | https://krod.com/utep-mens-basketba...egins/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
I agree that there are too many variables to account for, which is why I think it is unlikely. The stars have to align. Not impossible. Just unlikely. That doesn’t mean you give up and don’t try if you’re UTEP. It’s just the reality of things. Especially statistically speaking.

Also, there is no way they are going to pay the next coach “way less” than CJG is paid. It just isn’t going to happen.

This is not an argument to hang onto Golding. Or excuses for him. I am a UTEP fan far more than I am a Golding fan. If he doesn’t get it done next year, I’m ready to move on to the next guy, who will encounter many of the same difficulties, whom I hope the stars do align for.

I agree that there are too many variables to account for, which is why I think it is unlikely. The stars have to align. Not impossible. Just unlikely. That doesn’t mean you give up and don’t try if you’re UTEP. It’s just the reality of things. Especially statistically speaking.

Also, there is no way they are going to pay the next coach “way less” than CJG is paid. It just isn’t going to happen.

This is not an argument to hang onto Golding. Or excuses for him. I am a UTEP fan far more than I am a Golding fan. If he doesn’t get it done next year, I’m ready to move on to the next guy, who will encounter many of the same difficulties, whom I hope the stars do align for.

Exactly, the stars have to align and we just have to get lucky. We lucked out with Billy, Doc, and Tony. The same might not be said with the next coach or the coach after that.

Golding pretty much is a D2 coach, seeing as he brought Abilene up from D2 (probably why he hasn't recruited well, it's a skill he didn't really get to develop at ACU).

If Golding fails, utep needs to go after another P5 assistant that is a proven recruiter.

Exactly, the stars have to align and we just have to get lucky. We lucked out with Billy, Doc, and Tony. The same might not be said with the next coach or the coach after that.
Lucked out, and the landscape was so different back then. Conference alignment was just starting its seismic shift into what it is today. Plus we were 15+ years nearer to our “tradition” as a basketball school.

Golding pretty much is a D2 coach, seeing as he brought Abilene up from D2 (probably why he hasn't recruited well, it's a skill he didn't really get to develop at ACU).

If Golding fails, utep needs to go after another P5 assistant that is a proven recruiter.
That’s as legit sounding of a reason as I’ve come across. Great point.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It is interesting that NMSU said they are only going to hire a previous Division 1 head coach. Apparently they are going to announce their hire next week.

Reactions: kickballpro
I don't think anyone is pleased with the results so far.

But one thing that is on my mind: we all keep saying "you can win at UTEP", but since Haskins left how many times have the Miners been in the NCAA tournament? Three times? A couple of 2 or 3 visits in 30 years doesn't speak well for our ability to do it without the great Haskins.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I don't think anyone is pleased with the results so far.

But one thing that is on my mind: we all keep saying "you can win at UTEP", but since Haskins left how many times have the Miners been in the NCAA tournament? Three times? A couple of 2 or 3 visits in 30 years doesn't speak well for our ability to do it without the great Haskins.

Haskins was responsible for 7 of those years though. Floyd was responsible for 8 other years too. So roughly half was by coaches associated with UTEP’s “glory days”.

Coaches “can win at UTEP” because other coaches have won at other jobs that have less resources than UTEP.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Haskins was responsible for 7 of those years though. Floyd was responsible for 8 other years too. So roughly half was by coaches associated with UTEP’s “glory days”.

Coaches “can win at UTEP” because other coaches have won at other jobs that have less resources than UTEP.
I think we all agree.

The difference is some of us continue to support the program.

There was a time in College Athletics when it wasn’t Crazy. But in the mid 90’s salaries starting getting wild, the facility Arms Race went off, and conferences started jostling for TV Contracts.

UTEP had Don Haskins. And UTEP at the time had had the mindset that the Community was going to show up and buy Tickets because they always have.

El Paso will always support UTEP was a myth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT