ADVERTISEMENT

ABC Xtra - AD Senter

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
AD Jim Senter is the guest on this week’s ABC Xtra.

First segment.

-Quick recap of where AD Senter was born, raised, and his career to date.

-Emphasizes that he wants to win championships in all sports. Not just football and men’s basketball.

-Used the word ‘We’ when discussing hiring Coach Dimel. Said it was ‘a first’ that he got to hire a coach before even getting on campus.

-Regarding coaches, wants coaches who desperately want to be at UTEP and in El Paso.

Second segment.

-Coach Terry joins in. Mentions he still hasn’t found a house yet. Had a team meeting on Friday. Is hoping to keep everyone.

-AD says they have had 8 or 9 town hall meetings. Expects about 6 more. In the info gathering stage.

-A graphic displays all the NBA players that have played under Coach Terry.

Third segment.

-Long winded phone call. Caller said Coach Floyd was too tough on his players. Coach Terry says it’s important to be demanding but that you have their best interests on and off the court.

-17% discount on season tickets renewed by April 30th.

-April announcement regarding Sun Bowl renovations coming.

-No immediate plans to upgrade The Don.

-Have to dominate CUSA before being attractive to the MWC. Will try to schedule MWC as much as possible OOC.

-$300K to upgrade lights at The Don. Only on the wishlist at this point.

-Going to create a fan council to address items such as parking and tailgating.

-Coach Terry said he would like to play an up tempo style of basketball but that you also play to your personnel.

Wondering how long Senter can keep this up? Just this weekend alone, starting on Friday he had a town hall meeting starting at 5:30pm, he then stayed for the scrimmage and autograph session until late Friday night(probably spent at least 6 hours for these events Friday night when including the travel time to the eastside). He was then in the studio for the crunchtime radio show on saturday morning, then he attended the track meet and then the UTEP soccer game. Then on Sunday he was at a TV studio late again for ABC Extra(which airs after the late news). This was just his weekend after posting a full week of work.

This guy is busting his tail, putting in what has to be 60+ hour weeks. Shovelman66 wants to be negative and post a “show me first” attitude. But personally, I would rather say that this is the exact type of highly motivated person that we have been begging for over the past decade. Now that we finally got him, let’s give him as much assistance as we can to help him lead our program out of it’s current situation. Senter didn’t cause this mess, but he appears to be doing everything that one could possibly ask for in trying to fix it. When you see a person doing this and going above & beyond, it should be motivating you to do more to help him, not taking shovelman’s opposite approach. But that’s just how I view things.

Wondering how long Senter can keep this up? Just this weekend alone, starting on Friday he had a town hall meeting starting at 5:30pm, he then stayed for the scrimmage and autograph session until late Friday night(probably spent at least 6 hours for these events Friday night when including the travel time to the eastside). He was then in the studio for the crunchtime radio show on saturday morning, then he attended the track meet and then the UTEP soccer game. Then on Sunday he was at a TV studio late again for ABC Extra(which airs after the late news). This was just his weekend after posting a full week of work.

This guy is busting his tail, putting in what has to be 60+ hour weeks. Shovelman66 wants to be negative and post a “show me first” attitude. But personally, I would rather say that this is the exact type of highly motivated person that we have been begging for over the past decade. Now that we finally got him, let’s give him as much assistance as we can to help him lead our program out of it’s current situation. Senter didn’t cause this mess, but he appears to be doing everything that one could possibly ask for in trying to fix it. When you see a person doing this and going above & beyond, it should be motivating you to do more to help him, not taking shovelman’s opposite approach. But that’s just how I view things.

Great post UTEPDee--I was very pleasantly surprised at the scrimmage even seeing Mr. Senter help in SETTING UP TABLES for autographs. Jim Senter's energy is boundless and is exactly what UTEP's Athletic department needed just as you said.

Well said UTEPD, Senter is cleaning up the Stull mess one handshake and seflie at a time.

Stull would have said moving a practice out east would cost too much, and put too much on the coaching staff, Senter is changing the game, and working his tail off, cheers to you Mr Senter. Every UTEP fan should support Senter, he's setting a foundation, it's not guaranteed his will succeed, but his effort is amazing to watch and gives me major hope for the future..

Jim Senter is the perfect solution to the mess. He is doing everything in his power to right the ship. If we do our share to support his efforts, then we hopefully can inspire the athletes to come through and become winners for us, the city, the university, the coaches and themselves. We cannot wait around to see if they win or not and then decide what our actions will be.
Congrats Jim on your super efforts. I admire your desire and determination.
GO MINERS!

This is an awesome and very informative thread. Thanks! My excitement is growing rapidly.
It absolutely is an awesome thread. There has been no interruption at this point. I requested yesterday that it was time for The Moderator to step in. Maybe he has.

Reactions: MistaBinks
Do you think the town halls ar overkill? They s me to be redundant.

For fans like us, yes. Not everyone is online or as active though. This is probably what it takes to reach the casual fans. There is still a demographic out there that is loyal to a specific news channel. It’s probably for the best that he appeared on both KFOX and KVIA in separate events. Not everyone saw both.

Redundant? Yes. Necessary? Probably. The reason you have the same questions over and over is because casual fans are being drawn in. They’re letting their voice be heard and that level of involvement is unheard of. Will any of it make a difference? Probably not. But fans need to know what they mean to the program.

You are correct Senter is very proactive. This is what we needed. We now have to back him up and
show up at the games.

Go miners...

Just the effort and attitude is enough to get me to reinstate my season tickets in football and basketball. Such a welcome departure from Stull. I don't expect much in terms of wins and losses in either sport and that is fine with me. Given the competent coaching searches and hires and the consistent and willing communication, I'm all in.

I don’t find it redundant at all. Senter is actually DOING SOMETHING. After years of old man Stull doing jack shhhh.....this is a refreshing change. The overall attitude from every newcomer that this is a gold mine waiting to explode is exciting. We have become a joke in every sport save Track and Field. I guarantee we see attendance spikes in major revenue sports this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT