ADVERTISEMENT

According to the coaches, UTEP v. Wake in Charleston

STexMiner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2004
We face the Western Michigan in loser's bracket after they lose to Villanova

We didn't look so hot last year either, and honestly who knows what the hell this team will look like this season. I wouldn't bet any $$ on us beating WF.

Not only that, but this tournament comes at the beginning of our season. Floyd won't even have our starting rotation figured out by the time we play them....

Whatever floats your boat. As a life-long Miners basketball fan, oftentimes with rose-colored glasses on, I always expect wins against teams of the same or lower caliber. I'd place WF in that class. (Based on last year's results)

Right on, broseph! Ditto that.

It was Danny Manning's first year at WF. They will be much improved and he owned us when he was at Tulsa. I wonder what the consolation bracket will look like.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Honestly, where the program currently is, I don't think we should be expecting to win anything. I'm still trying to figure out if SE Louisiana or Northern Arizona will be our annual even-though-we're-not-all-that-good-we'll-still-take-a-night-off-and-lose-to-a-team-we-have-absolutely-no-business-losing-to game.

Reactions: develman
Honestly, where the program currently is, I don't think we should be expecting to win anything. I'm still trying to figure out if SE Louisiana or Northern Arizona will be our annual even-though-we're-not-all-that-good-we'll-still-take-a-night-off-and-lose-to-a-team-we-have-absolutely-no-business-losing-to game.

This is a little melodramatic of a statement, but I get (and fully understand as to why) you're completely done and finished with anything Tim Floyd.

I wouldn't say Utep should beat Wake. I'd say its not out of the realm of possibility and that Omega, Terry and Dominic have as much or more talent than players on Wake. However I just don't know what to expect from the other players on this team. There's just no way to accurately predict how this year will go! Could be ok, good, pretty bad or a dumpster fire....

I say I have no idea. It could be anywhere from 14-21 that would be my estimate, but who knows.

Reactions: UTEP05
Wake's 11 wins are at least equal to our 19 in terms of quality. They played a MUCH tougher schedule and pulled out some good wins over teams like Indiana, UCLA, LSU, Arkansas and NCST. With that said, I don't expect that we will beat them, however, I expect to have a chance in the game, though. Our starting 5 will keep us in it, but just as important will be how our depth shapes up, including how guys like Touchet, Thomas, Venegas and Flags have developed over the Spring/Summer and of course how immediately prepared some of our newcomers are for the college game. I think this one is a toss up.

Bank on it ... UTEP wins the Charleston Classic ... we will field a tall, aggressive and fast team that will drop at least 90 points on every team in the Classic ...
players to watch are Touchet, Thomas and Omega ... 25 wins and counting for this year ... It feels good to a Miner again ...

Reactions: e-rick
Bank on it ... UTEP wins the Charleston Classic ... we will field a tall, aggressive and fast team that will drop at least 90 points on every team in the Classic ...
players to watch are Touchet, Thomas and Omega ... 25 wins and counting for this year ... It feels good to a Miner again ...

Nice to see someone still believes...but that is a relatively safe statement in that if somehow UTEP pulls it off, you look like a genius. If UTEP doesn't win the thing...you just come off as an over zealous fan...which nobody can fault...at least I can't.

I'm not knocking you. In fact I'm all ears. Curious about your explanation as to the predicted turnaround. Also curious about your statement about players to watch, Touchet, Thomas and Omega. You mind going into a little more depth?

Sarcasm, or did you just start taking Zoloft?

OK, lets start with the known for the Miners this year.
1. The old coach has finally figured out that putting more points up on the board wins the game. He has the needed guards to play that kind of up tempo game. Again Touchet and Omega will be the engine to drive this team. I predict Touchet will be our MVP for the year.
2. With the 30 second clock now in play and everyone getting used to it, I believe that the old "defense first" coaches now see the light to build the team from the outside in. In fact, be ready to see the defense go more full court this year because of our speed.
3. Our height will play in the offense for easy 2 points and will stop teams from trying to drive to the basket every time. We will be very good at the post position.
4. I believe our offense will be built around our ability to make the 3 pointers. Look for more screens by the big guys to open up the 3 pointer for Touchet and Omega. This team will look like a real pro team.
5.The coach has learned his lesson and will mole this team around his talent and not the other way around.
6. Bank on this team to bet the spread every time.
7. Don't you dare miss a game this year.

But football come first ... roll Miners roll ...
That's how Hollywood sees it ... 25 wins and counting ...

1. The old coach has finally figured out that putting more points up on the board wins the game. He has the needed guards to play that kind of up tempo game. Again Touchet and Omega will be the engine to drive this team. I predict Touchet will be our MVP for the year.
2. With the 30 second clock now in play and everyone getting used to it, I believe that the old "defense first" coaches now see the light to build the team from the outside in. In fact, be ready to see the defense go more full court this year because of our speed.
3. Our height will play in the offense for easy 2 points and will stop teams from trying to drive to the basket every time. We will be very good at the post position.
4. I believe our offense will be built around our ability to make the 3 pointers. Look for more screens by the big guys to open up the 3 pointer for Touchet and Omega. This team will look like a real pro team.
5.The coach has learned his lesson and will mole this team around his talent and not the other way around.

Fair enough and appreciate you taking the time. To answer. I noticed a couple times, however, that you've left out a huge piece of the puzzle in your analysis of the guard position. Where is Artis in all of this? He is going to be the guy bringing the ball up the court probably 85-90% of the time. He's kind of the "court QB" that this whole thing will revolve around.

Also, what has you thinking Paul Thomas will be key? I saw some potential in him last year, but he will need to make a HUGE stride to become a consistent contributor. I do think we are going to see him at the 4 with Winn moving over to the 3 per his video.

Reactions: miner661
Wake's 11 wins are at least equal to our 19 in terms of quality. They played a MUCH tougher schedule and pulled out some good wins over teams like Indiana, UCLA, LSU, Arkansas and NCST. With that said, I don't expect that we will beat them, however, I expect to have a chance in the game, though. Our starting 5 will keep us in it, but just as important will be how our depth shapes up, including how guys like Touchet, Thomas, Venegas and Flags have developed over the Spring/Summer and of course how immediately prepared some of our newcomers are for the college game. I think this one is a toss up.

LSU and Indiana are huge wins. Manning is an excellent coach. This will be a tough game

You do know that Dominic Artis still plays for the Miners Right?

Come on now guys.... He is just being a sarcastic ass in my opinion!
Maybe I am wrong but that's what it sounds like

Guess I should have gone with SE Louisiana.

Reactions: UTEP05

Coming from the person that said the football team will win 8 games. It's easy to make predictions without ever being held accountable for them.

It's easy to say "bank on it" every time. You aren't held accountable when you aren't right and you say "i told you so" when you're right. I think you should give up making predictions.

8 wins for the football team and now 25 wins for the basketball game. Your prediction for the football team was WAY off and it looks like the same for the basketball team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT