ADVERTISEMENT

Alcorn State @ UTEP mbb: OPT, Game

"What Alcorn State did on defense was simple: The guards applied full-court pressure to WSU’s ball handler to drain seconds off the shot clock, the wings made setting screens and catching passes difficult for WSU along the perimeter, and the help defense was instructed to protect the paint at all costs. The Braves made up for their lack of rim protection by rotating completely off WSU players on the perimeter to prevent the drive from reaching the paint. WSU point guard Craig Porter faced this problem throughout the game when he broke down his defender: either barrel into a waiting defender or make the right basketball play and pass to the open shooter spotted up on the three-point line.....
The Shockers took the bait set by Alcorn State. Instead of capitalizing further on the advantage inside, WSU ended up hoisting 24 three-pointers in its pursuit for the open shots from the outside that just weren’t falling. Make no mistake, they were open by design: Alcorn State was willing to give up wide-open threes in exchange for limiting WSU’s damage inside and the strategy worked...."

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article268762797.html

It's the year of the small mid major. ASU is playing inspired ball with a coach signing a new contract.

UTEP 61
Alcorn 65

Reactions: groundrounds
Alcorn will be a tough go. Hope we can make our free throws and hit our open shots.

UTEP 67
Alcorn 61

Looks like the Miners have a better than typical team for one of our homestand tournaments. Sounds like it will be a good game. Go Miners.

SWAC teams always have a talented player or two and sometimes more. Miners going to be in a battle and we will get to see how much improvement we can make. I don't put much into early season upset wins like Alcorn's win at WSU because so many teams are full of new faces like us. It takes time to mold 10 new guys into a team and a lot of these early "upsets" are a reflection of these massive team changes. I like almost everyone would like to see our outside game emerge and our guard core hit more open shots.

Just play good defense and finish strong in the paint. Get them in foul trouble. Like Axe915 said, make free throws. If they press then we break and finish in transition.

UTEP 60
Alcorn 53

Opened at UTEP -7, now down to 6.5, over/under at 131.5 which is a heavy lean for me (under) to parlay the o127 with Texas A&M Corpus game.

UTEP 60, Alcorn 57, if UTEP covers the spread or blows them out, that's a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerfan_14
Alcorn will probably win SWAC and be a 16 seed in NCAA. Should be a nice early test.

The school name of our opponent, Alcorn State, which doesn't exactly excite many, doesn't match how their playing, like a WCC school. They gave Ole Miss a run and were just down one at the half at their place. We know what they did against their other two opponents.

Golding will have all he can handle tonight and as will Alcorn as they take on a very battle tested Miner squad.

This is going to be a good game.

Braves have 2 guys off the bench that had good minutes against Shockers.
Miners had 3 off the bench with good minutes against Aggies.

Braves and Shockers had less TOs than Miners and Aggies in their game.

I think it will be like looking in the mirror for both teams tonight. But the advantage goes to the Braves in experience and to the Miners for home cooking and crowd enthusiasm.

Key to the game: Keep Kalu on the bench in the last 3 minutes so he doesn't go to the line.

I think the Braves will pull it out but I'll pick Golding's squad, just because.

Miners 65 (homer pick)
Braves 59

Last edited:
CUSA TV contract stinks. Every other conference plays on free tv but not Cusa.

UTEP should go indy in basketball. UTEP could probably get a better TV deal alone.

I came in with the Miners down 7-4, we've gone on a 9-2 run since I started watching. Sorry for not tuning in earlier, and you're welcome for the current streak! 🙂

Reactions: Lil_Train
Free throws are going in... open shots not so much. Defensive battle and we are not rebounding well (reminds me of last season)

These two teams going at each other. ASU field goal % stinks thank heavens.
Miners are smothering them! Crazy how UTEP appeared to wear them down late in the 1H. Took UTEP -2.5 2H love. think we can see the same in the second half, great physicality and not many fouls being called. Identity forming half for the UTEP defense. Crazy because Alcon was easily driving past Wichita State last week, Golding is good at game planning on D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT