ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone up for some trivia?

STexMiner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2004
I don't know why this question popped into my mind today, but it did:

Who were the last former Miners to win rings in the major professional leagues?

I'm 100% sure that no Miner has his name on the Stanley Cup. I'm about 95% confident on the last NBA champion, and 75% on the last Super Bowl champion. I'm at 0% confidence on our last World Series champion because I only know one former Miner baseball player and he never won a title (not even sure there has been one).

Last edited:
Without looking it up, my guess is Lee Mays for Super Bowl and Greg Foster for NBA championship.

I would guess the last basketball Miner to win a title was Greg Foster with the Lakers. Derrick Caracter fell on his face in the NBA.

Football? Hmm. Tolbert was in 95-96. My guess would be my old college friend Lee Mays? I think he was release prior to the game but got a ring for having been on the roster?

If you guessed Lee Mays (2005 Steelers) and Greg Foster (2000-2001 Lakers), I'm pretty sure you're right. I guess it wasn't all that difficult. I kind of figured you would have forgotten about Mays.

Off the top of my head, Don Maynard (1968 Jets), Tony Tolbert (1992, 1993, 1995 Cowboys), Chris Jacke (1996 Packers), Seth Joyner (1998 Broncos), and Mays have Super Bowl rings. Tiny Archibald (1980-1981 Celtics) and Foster have NBA championships. Probably not exhaustive lists, though.

Reactions: UTEP05
As a caveat, Brian Young was a defensive positions (DL) coach with the New Orleans Saints when they won the Super Bowl in 2010. Brian does own a SB ring.

And Randy Brown got one with Bulls. But he went to NMSU

Well I will always remember Randy from his Bulls days. And I was in the Tim Hardaway Basketball Camp in El Paso and Randy filled in for him one summer because Timmy was playing for Team USA. But I never remebered him at NMSU. Was he good?

Well I will always remember Randy from his Bulls days. And I was in the Tim Hardaway Basketball Camp in El Paso and Randy filled in for him one summer because Timmy was playing for Team USA. But I never remebered him at NMSU. Was he good?

He was really good.

Another easy one. The only former Miner basketball player to win a Super Bowl ring?

No one wants to touch the baseball question? Is Mike Maddux the only one to make the big leagues? Despite playing for 15 years and about 37 different teams (I think he was a rookie on the 1899 Cleveland Spiders), he never won the World Series.

No one wants to touch the baseball question? Is Mike Maddux the only one to make the big leagues? Despite playing for 15 years and about 37 different teams (I think he was a rookie on the 1899 Cleveland Spiders), he never won the World Series.
Pitching coach in one, Rangers.

I'll ratchet up the degree of difficulty. If you can get this without cheating, major tip of the hat to you.

Who is the only former Miner inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame?

Reactions: miner1liner
I'll ratchet up the degree of difficulty. If you can get this without cheating, major tip of the hat to you.

It should be Fred Wendt but I've never heard anything about him being in the HOF.

I would guess Fred Carr

It should be Fred Wendt but I've never heard anything about him being in the HOF.

My guess would be Fred Carr too.

Good guesses. Wrong guesses.

Kind of surprised on Fred Wendt. He held a number of NCAA records on graduation, including the single season rushing record until it was broken by a certain infamous former player 20 years later. Someone get Treddennick on it.

If UTEP can't push out a losing head football coach, no way in they'll they're going to push a HOF worthy running back from 70 years back into the HOF. A real shame.

Would it be Don Maynard? I actually met his daughter in law in Ruidoso during the camp
Another good guess. Another wrong guess. Maynard is of course the only former Miner player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But, he is not in the college hall of fame.

Here's your probably groan-inducing answer:

Harry Van Surdam. Inducted in 1972 for his playing career as a quarterback for Wesleyan College from 1902-1905, Van Surdam coached TCM to a 2-4 record in 1920.

Reactions: Cube Jack
If UTEP can't push out a losing head football coach, no way in they'll they're going to push a HOF worthy running back from 70 years back into the HOF. A real shame.
A personal aside on Fred Wendt. When I was a youngun and I'd pass his plaque in the SEC, I always thought he really let himself go in his post playing years and that he was playing Norm on Cheers.

Reactions: Cube Jack
A personal aside on Fred Wendt. When I was a youngun and I'd pass his plaque in the SEC, I always thought he really let himself go in his post playing years and that he was playing Norm on Cheers.

I wonder if George Wendt is any relation now that you mention it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT