ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor basketball

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Right now Baylor men's is ranked no.1 and the women no. 2. In addition to all of the negatives with our current mess, our claim to be the only school in Texas to win it all could be in jeopardy. '66 will really become ancient history if that happens.

Yes, and it wasn't that long ago that the program was in shambles with Dave Bliss.

I've heard that while Mack was here, he was responsible for any of the good things that came out of the program; not his boss!

I've heard that while Mack was here, he was responsible for any of the good things that came out of the program; not his boss!
Could be some truth to that. In the eight years he worked at UTEP. Football had three bowl appearances, three winning seasons and one conference championship. Basketball had two NCAA tournament appearances, one conference tournament championship, and one regular season championship. He also helped with moving UTEP from the dying WAC to a much stronger CUSA 2.0.

In the 11 years since his departure football has had two bowl appearances, one winning season and zero conference championships. Basketball has had one NCAA tournament appearance, one conference regular season championship.

BS has been unable to get UTEP into a better conference such as the MW or AAC. Instead the CUSA 3.0 has regressed to the point of being the worst football FBS conference in the country. Basketball isn't much better. Forget about competing with the Sun Belt or the MAC hell even the WAC has surpassed us. We sit in the middle of the Big Souh and Southland as one of the worst basketball leagues in the country.

Despite such inferior opposition UTEP has not been able to produce much positives results on the field or court. With more than half of UTEP's recent athletic success coming during Rhodes time here it's safe to say we received the raw end of the deal by letting some other mid major school come and hire him away.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Back in October 2002, after Jason Rabedeaux "resigned," and practice for the upcoming basketball season had already started, Mack Rhoades was placed in charge of the search for a new basketball coach, and given a very short window with which to work. His final two candidates were a pair of assistant coaches: Billy Gillispie of Illinois and Jamie Dixon of Pitt. We all know how it turned out, with Gillispie getting the nod, and proving to be an outstanding coach when he's not being controlled by his demons. Dixon proved to be an outstanding coach as well. Is there any way that we can borrow Rhoades from Baylor for a few weeks, and allow him to find Floyd's replacement?

Back in October 2002, after Jason Rabedeaux "resigned," and practice for the upcoming basketball season had already started, Mack Rhoades was placed in charge of the search for a new basketball coach, and given a very short window with which to work. His final two candidates were a pair of assistant coaches: Billy Gillispie of Illinois and Jamie Dixon of Pitt. We all know how it turned out, with Gillispie getting the nod, and proving to be an outstanding coach when he's not being controlled by his demons. Dixon proved to be an outstanding coach as well. Is there any way that we can borrow Rhoades from Baylor for a few weeks, and allow him to find Floyd's replacement?
I know Mack still has friends and acquaintances here. Maybe they can cook up something with him to help out and he can put his expenses under charitable donations on his income tax return There sure won't be any help
from within out sorry organization.

Right now Baylor men's is ranked no.1 and the women no. 2. In addition to all of the negatives with our current mess, our claim to be the only school in Texas to win it all could be in jeopardy. '66 will really become ancient history if that happens.

Baylor won't win the natty -- they'll choke.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Well......89-68 That takes care of that!!!! Had to chuckle during breakfast this morning.

Well......89-68 That takes care of that!!!! Had to chuckle during breakfast this morning.
Well, they still can win it all and ruin our claim to fame, however I feel there are several teams that have a much better chance of winning the championship.

Reactions: JCorona
What did the basketball program do?

Illegally paid the tuition of 2 players when they had already reached their scholarship limit. Their coach at the time actually tried to convince the family of these players to lie to investigators. Athletic directors and coaches ignored reports from concerned families and hid players' positive drug tests. Coaches were present during "pick up games" between players and potential recruits who were on official visits. Head coach lied to investigators during questioning and encouraged players to do the same while threatening to fire other coaches who did not go along. Encouraging boosters to donate money to a "foundation" that financed a basketball team whose roster included Baylor recruits. Failure to control the program led to one player murdering another then trying to frame the murdered player as a drug dealer in order to conceal their own wrongdoing...

Illegally paid the tuition of 2 players when they had already reached their scholarship limit. Their coach at the time actually tried to convince the family of these players to lie to investigators. Athletic directors and coaches ignored reports from concerned families and hid players' positive drug tests. Coaches were present during "pick up games" between players and potential recruits who were on official visits. Head coach lied to investigators during questioning and encouraged players to do the same while threatening to fire other coaches who did not go along. Encouraging boosters to donate money to a "foundation" that financed a basketball team whose roster included Baylor recruits. Failure to control the program led to one player murdering another then trying to frame the murdered player as a drug dealer in order to conceal their own wrongdoing...
Wow, I only knew about the murder and attempt to frame the murdered player as a drug dealer, which of course was all over the news and is damning enough on its own. I didn't know about all that other stuff, which shows all the institutional problems the program had even without the murder. Yeah, they deserved the death penalty; if they didn't, then who would?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Wow, I only knew about the murder and attempt to frame the murdered player as a drug dealer, which of course was all over the news and is damning enough on its own. I didn't know about all that other stuff, which shows all the institutional problems the program had even without the murder. Yeah, they deserved the death penalty; if they didn't, then who would?

I know SMU football getting axed was blamed for killing the SWC. I guess the NCAA is afraid to pull the trigger now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT