ADVERTISEMENT

BBALL Roster 2017-18

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
What stands out in my mind here is the distribution of players across classes. I don't know that we've ever seen this before during the floyd era.

Also, I think most of us have been under the impression that we are 1 scholie over BUT, we don't really know if Trey Wade is going to get a scholie. I don't think he will. We have Flaggert, Thomas, Williams, Osbourne who can all play that position. He may be here next year but probably not on scholarship. That would put us right at 13.

Barrett will retain his scholie and will be in the mix to start at the point next year. Also, Gilyard may play at the two due to his scoring prowess ala Randy Culpepper.

Next year's team will also be the tallest I can remember. 7'1", 7'0",6'10", 6'9", 6'8", 6'7",6'7", 6'7",6'7", etc.

Point
So.-Deon Barrett - s
Fr.-Evan Gilyard - s
Fr.-Kobe McGee - s
So.-Hudson Urbanus - wo

Two
Sr.-Omega Harris - s
Jr.-Trey Touchet - s

Three
Sr.-Jake Flaggert - s
So.-Isaiah Osbourne - s
So.-Roderick Williams - s
So.-Trey Wade - wo

Four
Jr.-Paul Thomas - s
Fr.-Tirus Smith - s
Jr-Ivan Venegas - wo

Five
Sr.-Matt Wilms - s
So.-Kelvin Jones - s
Fr.-Joey St. Pierre - s

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yeah, they come to snuff the roster
Yeah here come the roster, yeah
You know he ain't gonna die
No, no, no, you know he ain't gonna die

Reactions: Miners1991
Trey Wade is not a walk on and is counting on to be a key component and Trey Touchet will be a PG and Isaiah Osborne is a 2 not a 3, but we'll see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Reactions: axingfools1
Floyd said that Trey Wade could be the best perimeter player that he has coached at UTEP. IMO Cameron left because of Wade. If he qualifies, he will be on scholarship and will be a contributer.

Touchet could start at PG (at least initially) and might break out this year as a perimeter shooter.

I think the height of the players is exaggerated except for Willms. We still go 7'1", 6'11", 6'9", 6'8" x 2, 6'7" and 6'6" and all athletic. That is great size.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Floyd said that Trey Wade could be the best perimeter player that he has coached at UTEP. IMO Cameron left because of Wade. If he qualifies, he will be on scholarship and will be a contributer.

What is the qualification issue? UTEP accepts almost everyone.

Touchet could start at PG (at least initially) and might break out this year as a perimeter shooter.

I think the height of the players is exaggerated except for Willms. We still go 7'1", 6'11", 6'9", 6'8" x 2, 6'7" and 6'6" and all athletic. That is great size.

Agree. Very well balanced sizewise. Still think if we have even just a bit beyond a decent pg, who is dish first score second, with our size and "apparent" depth, we could really raise some hell in CUSA next season. It's gonna come down to how effective we are at the point.

Agree. Very well balanced sizewise. Still think if we have even just a bit beyond a decent pg, who is dish first score second, with our size and "apparent" depth, we could really raise some hell in CUSA next season. It's gonna come down to how effective we are at the point.
Is there definite reason to fear that certain recruits will have trouble qualifying? Can you name any specific question marks?
Rather than labelling players 1,2,3,4 or 5; I prefer to look at it more like inside and perimeter positions. We should have inside depth, barring qualifying issues like we haven't had in years...Willms,Jones, Williams, Thomas, Smith, and St Pierre; whereas last year we had only three. Depth on the perimeter also with Harris, Wade, Osbourne, Flaggert plus the PG candidates Gilyard, Touchet, Barrett and Magee.
Looks pretty rosy to me. I agree that PG is biggest ?

Is there definite reason to fear that certain recruits will have trouble qualifying? Can you name any specific question marks?
Rather than labelling players 1,2,3,4 or 5; I prefer to look at it more like inside and perimeter positions. We should have inside depth, barring qualifying issues like we haven't had in years...Willms,Jones, Williams, Thomas, Smith, and St Pierre; whereas last year we had only three. Depth on the perimeter also with Harris, Wade, Osbourne, Flaggert plus the PG candidates Gilyard, Touchet, Barrett and Magee.
Looks pretty rosy to me. I agree that PG is biggest ?

I agree. And if we have someone who is crafty and can get them the ball for some easy looks, with regularity, watch out.

To answer your question, Wade is the only one I've heard with any question in regards to qualifying. It has been speculated that Tirus Smith (inside guy who can pull a D out) might've been iffy, but I don't think that's in question any more. On paper, things are looking up. One thing I've come to understand, tho, over the last 5 or so years is that we just never know until the season starts...and even after it does start we still seem to experience some loss.

Reactions: miner1liner
Personally, I think the staff plans on turning over the reins to Gilyard. He sounds like the real deal, but I still think it is risky. I think if you look at MTSU and LaTech last year; both with teams that were lead by freshman PGs, you would see there were plenty of growing pains for both Dixon and Bracey. Both guys are solid players, but it can be argued that they were weak links on some very talented teams. I thought Dixon, and the lack of solid PG play, was the main reason behind the MTSU loss to UTEP on the road this past season, for example. With regard to to Barrett being on the team next year (which I would prefer), I think it will come down to one of the new guys not making it for whatever reason. He was not mentioned as one of the returnees for next year during Floyd's press conference, so I think that is pretty telling.

Last edited:
If things work out this will be the deepest team we have had here under Floyd! I am actually ok with barrett running point next year he seemed to have really good handles and didn't make too many stupid mistakes last year.... and he had some speed only concern would be his defense since he is sooo small!

Reactions: mikesarabia
not that it matters but are any of the new recruits gonna be getting any stars? or are these really not that good to get 1 star?

not that it matters but are any of the new recruits gonna be getting any stars? or are these really not that good to get 1 star?
Williams has 3 stars on both Rivals and 247 while St Pierre and Gilyard have 3 stars on 247. UTEP is ranked 68th recruiting class at 247 which is 2nd in C-USA.

St. Pierre, Gilyard and Williams (15') also all have 3 stars on ESPN (rating of 70-79) with St. Pierre having the highest rating of 79. Vince Hunter was also rated a 79 but was obviously underrated. I think Gilyard is underrated at 75. FYI: Thomas and Cameron both were 4 stars and had a rating of 80.

Unfortunately there is no streamlined system that rates the players across the board. There is ESPN, rivals, scout and 247. Verbal commits tries to use an average of the first three, but theirs often are not up to date or just don't add up. Maybe they are working on a better process.

IMO there should be a composite rating from all combined to give a rating once during the junior year and twice during the senior year (with a final rating at the end of the basketball season). School of choice should have no effect on this. A lot of players aren't even rated. There should also be a way to rate top JC players after their freshman and Sophmore seasons as well. With the amount of money ESPN brings in they should easily be able to rate most pertinent players. For example: Barrett, McGee and Smith, Brewer were top players in Texas and Mississippi respectively, but none were rated by ESPN?

Last edited:
Who would yall consider to be the best recruiting site? I consider rivals to be the best one.

Rivals and ESPN are the most accurate, but both could still be much better. There is a lot of bias too.

Let's calibrate -- what rating would you give her?

hot-girls-nice-tits-14jan28-8.jpg

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
247 is good. I just looked it up and their ratings seem about right over the past few years. They forgot Mississippi though!

Wow who is that?I give her a 10. I was trying to find something wrong with her but i couldnt.

Reactions: unihorn
247 is good. I just looked it up and their ratings seem about right over the past few years. They forgot Mississippi though!

I've just noticed over the years, the disparity between Rivals, ESPN and Scout, when evaluating players. I like 247 because they take all major recruiting media outlets, including the 3 mentioned, give them equal weight, and then average the players' rating from that. It closes the gap when one of the recruiting sites really whiffs, one way or the other, on a kid.

Not sure what you mean "they forgot Mississippi". The team rating?

I've just noticed over the years, the disparity between Rivals, ESPN and Scout, when evaluating players. I like 247 because they take all major recruiting media outlets, including the 3 mentioned, give them equal weight, and then average the players' rating from that. It closes the gap when one of the recruiting sites really whiffs, one way or the other, on a kid.

Not sure what you mean "they forgot Mississippi". The team rating?
No rating for Smith or Brewer. Both were top 10 players in Mississippi.

Who would yall consider to be the best recruiting site? I consider rivals to be the best one.
I prefer Rivals and don't care for ESPN ratings since they are biased towards the power conferences and schools. The 247 ratings are good. Scout used to be good but it became difficult to navigate through their site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT