ADVERTISEMENT

Besides Utep Mens Baseball

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
whats another Mens sport would you like to see at UTEP?

I think it be cool if UTEP had a Hockey team. With the El Paso Rhinos Utep would have a good connection.

Soccer makes a lot of sense to me for two reasons: The region cares a lot about soccer and the facility already exists for the women's team. Expanding the seating would not be difficult.

Quidditch

quiqui.jpg

Originally posted by picks up:
Soccer makes a lot of sense to me for two reasons: The region cares a lot about soccer and the facility already exists for the women's team. Expanding the seating would not be difficult.
You wouldn't have to expand the seating

Originally posted by utep2step:
Quidditch

quiqui.jpg
Wow. *cough*dorks*cough*

I'd vote for hockey.That sport is awesome in a live setting. Lacrosse perhaps?

1. Don't we have to take Title IX into consideration when coming up with answer?
2. When it comes to adding men's soccer, its fine for the regular season. Problem is when it comes to the post - season, not sure either men or women can host an NCAA regional at University Field. Capacity wise, it might be too small and to be even considered a press box would need to be installed. Kidd Field as of now would not be an option.

Gotta go with soccer. Look at the success of the San Eli and Horizon....Bel Air and east lake was it? Prime recruiting right here in town.

Second? Mortal Combat!

I know I am biased here, but UTEP should add soccer. Too much talent locally not to be taking advantage of it. You could recruit out of your own backyard and contend for ncaa championships. I'm also in favor of women's beach volleyball

You'd have to consider conference competition too. While hockey is cool, who else in CUSA has a team? How far would they have to travel to play? Do teams in the MWC have teams since that's where we are headed?
wink.r191677.gif

Stupid title IX also would prohibit adding another mens program until a buttload of womens sports are added.

Beach volleyball is just a dream of horny old men...

It was upsetting to see that UTSA has a baseball team and then watching several games on TV (ASN) for conference USA. But I agree men's soccer.

Its fun to discuss it, but we probably wont add another mens sports for a long time after we add baseball. I think we will bring baseball in the next ten years. Ive heard that a baseball field is planned for part of the old asarco site if the UT system approves acquiring the land.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:
Ive heard that a baseball field is planned for part of the old asarco site if the UT system approves acquiring the land.
Why not play at Southwest University Park? The park is free in February and March and they only have to share it in April and May.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Ive heard that a baseball field is planned for part of the old asarco site if the UT system approves acquiring the land.
Why not play at Southwest University Park? The park is free in February and March and they only have to share it in April and May.
Baseball is not a revenue sport. I dont know if it makes sense financially to pay to lease a stadium every year. Plus we wouldnt control parking or concessions. I thinks its always better to play games on campus and control all possible streams of revenue. It wouldnt cost that much to build a baseball stadium.

Baseball is not a revenue sport. I dont know if it makes sense financially to pay to lease a stadium every year. Plus we wouldnt control parking or concessions. I thinks its always better to play games on campus and control all possible streams of revenue. It wouldnt cost that much to build a baseball stadium.
I am sure they would make a good deal to let UTEP play games at the park for a reasonable fee. Doesn't make that much sense to build a park when there is a beautiful ballpark right down the street from campus. Not sure what you meant about parking because parking is free at UTEP and I am sure they could work out a deal about concessions (UTEP gets a certain amount of revenue).

I am sure they would make a good deal to let UTEP play games at the park for a reasonable fee. Doesn't make that much sense to build a park when there is a beautiful ballpark right down the street from campus. Not sure what you meant about parking because parking is free at UTEP and I am sure they could work out a deal about concessions (UTEP gets a certain amount of revenue).UTEP charges $20 to park in the garages on gameday. The lots close to the DHC and Sun Bowl are reserved for season ticket holders silver level or higher so the cost of parking is added in to premium season ticket packages. The city lost money last year on the new ballpark and are projected to lose more this year, as a result i dont think the city is in posistion to make UTEP a good deal on leasing the ballpark.

I am sure they would make a good deal to let UTEP play games at the park for a reasonable fee. Doesn't make that much sense to build a park when there is a beautiful ballpark right down the street from campus. Not sure what you meant about parking because parking is free at UTEP and I am sure they could work out a deal about concessions (UTEP gets a certain amount of revenue).
UTEP could probably get a really good deal on Cohen Stadium.

Originally posted by FeralFelidae:

UTEP could probably get a really good deal on Cohen Stadium.
Cohen Stadium is a dump and I doubt not too many people would want to go the Northeast to see UTEP baseball. Southwest University Park is the best bet.

I am sure they would make a good deal to let UTEP play games at the park for a reasonable fee. Doesn't make that much sense to build a park when there is a beautiful ballpark right down the street from campus. Not sure what you meant about parking because parking is free at UTEP and I am sure they could work out a deal about concessions (UTEP gets a certain amount of revenue).UTEP charges $20 to park in the garages on gameday. The lots close to the DHC and Sun Bowl are reserved for season ticket holders silver level or higher so the cost of parking is added in to premium season ticket packages. The city lost money last year on the new ballpark and are projected to lose more this year, as a result i dont think the city is in posistion to make UTEP a good deal on leasing the ballpark.
It costs $20?!? to park? I don't believe that. Why would somebody pay if you can park at the Rudolph lot for free? I've never had a problem finding a space there. The city didn't lose money on the ballpark. Not sure where you got that information from. I am almost certain that UTEP would get a good deal on the ballpark because the ballpark is vacant is February and March.

It costs $20?!? to park? I don't believe that. Why would somebody pay if you can park at the Rudolph lot for free? I've never had a problem finding a space there. The city didn't lose money on the ballpark. Not sure where you got that information from. I am almost certain that UTEP would get a good deal on the ballpark because the ballpark is vacant is February and March.
The El Paso Times ran articles about the ballparks finances last week. On game day UTEP charges people who dont have parking passes $20 to park in the garage next to the sun bowl. You can buy parking passes for individual games atinhe brumbalow for twenty bucks. UTEP also sales personalized parking spots for football and basketball that for a combo cost $2500.

The El Paso Times ran articles about the ballparks finances last week. On game day UTEP charges people who dont have parking passes $20 to park in the garage next to the sun bowl. You can buy parking passes for individual games atinhe brumbalow for twenty bucks. UTEP also sales personalized parking spots for football and basketball that for a combo cost $2500.
Oh, you're talking about that parking garage- I thought you were talking about the Sun Metro garage across from the Don Haskins Center. Football parking in the garage for football is $10, not $20. http://www.utepathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040907aac.html "PARKING GARAGE:[/B] No tailgating activities of any kind allowed in the parking structure. No loitering. It will open to the public for parking on Game Day at 12 noon. The cost of the parking pass: $50 for season pass, $10 for individual game day. Pre-purchase season passes at the Athletic Season Ticket Office: 201 Glory Road."

Plus, since there is so much free parking and baseball games won't get tens of thousands of people going to the games, everybody would be able to park for free elsewhere.

The city didn't lose money- the projections were just off on the costs. If you ever dealt with anything with construction costs, projections will always be off. The HOT tax revenue was actually better last year than projected.

"Beach volleyball is just a dream of horny old men..." - funny.......oh no, young men wouldn't "appreciate" it................if so, oh boy how times have changed!!

Originally posted by Miner Dawgma:
Gotta go with soccer. Look at the success of the San Eli and Horizon....Bel Air and east lake was it? Prime recruiting right here in town.

Second? Mortal Combat!
San Eli advanced to the state championship game yesterday, Horizon plays in the semi today. Of the 8 5A playoff teams from El Paso, not one of them was knocked out by an out of town team. The El Paso teams all knocked each other out. Of the 13 teams locally to make the playoffs only 4 have been knocked out by out of town teams, and two of those teams were knocked out in a penalty shootout, the only two who have lost in regulation (Socorro and Eastwood) lost against the team that is in the final four and is probably going to win the 6A Championship. Cathedral won the private school championship earlier this year.

As far as a previous poster stating that University field would not need expansion for the Men's team... There are several local high school boys soccer games that draw over 2k fans, and that is high school. The stadium would probably need to be expanded to about at least 3k.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT