ADVERTISEMENT

Bloomquist speaks for us all

I like Dimel's positivity, but damn he needs a dose of reality. I think maybe he is just too nice.

To say that UTEP threw the ball better is just ridiculous. If there were ANY level of consistent offensive execution in this game then we win.

I'm really wondering now what level of expectation he is setting for the players and how he is instilling discipline. Both seem lacking. Add that to poor (or lack of) play calling and player ineptitude and you have this steaming pile left over.

This was a really good article and summary. It’s just not fun watching us play offense. It’s not fun watching us consistently self destruct. The offense was terrible and self-destructive again, despite having a half season and two bye weeks to get organized.

Our special teams had multiple penalties yet again also. Our discipline is so bad right now, that last night we got a special teams penalty.......on a touch back!

The defense played the way that you would want a team to play with two weeks to prepare and they also played with improved discipline. We have an actual coach on defense and while our defense is not great, you can tell that this side of the ball is in decent hands. The offense and special teams is not in the same situation and they also had almost all of our 10 penalties last night.

The offense is not even capable of running a tempo two minute offense if it had to. The offense is simple and run at an extremely slow pace, yet it gets the most penalties and commits the most mistakes? Seriously, how is that even possible? Jones enters the game with a banged up shoulder, yet we are running him multiple times until he has to leave the game with a shoulder injury. Our offense is running it’s QB at a rate/percentage that is completely opposite to how everybody else plays college football.

Surely our administration is taking notice, if not, the poor crowd upcoming on Saturday will have to start pushing the envelope at some point.

Since Dimel will be here a couple of more years, I would like to see Dimel step back and just organize the program/recruit/do the PR stuff, etc. That’s how most head coaches do things anyway. Dimel’s only on field details at this time needs to be discipline and discipline only. Let Cox run the defense and then I would like to see Dimel step away from this duo offensive play calling that him and Canales are doing. We need to let Canales go, as his poor results and poor coaching results on his resume speak for themself, and we need to bring in a new OC and give him the freedom to run a new system that is more current with college football.

Last edited:
"I talked to the guys about being more disciplined and being selfless, not putting yourself ahead of the football team. We're more competitive, we're better, we're closer, the phase we're in right now is self-destruction."

In what universe is a team that is admittedly in the self destructing phase getting better? Why are they still in this phase? This isn’t new. It’s not even new to this season. It’s what we bitched about week in and week out last year, too.

What Dimel alludes to, without apparently realizing it, is that the coaching sucks.

Reactions: Lil_Train
This is a tough, but honest assessment of UTEP’s season. It’s tough for people to see the improvement from the last two years to today.

Players not producing is one thing and I know that they have some better recruits waiting in the wings but they have to crack down on undisciplined play. They are going to lose way more games than they win if they keep committing penalties and making mental mistakes, regardless of how much talent they have on the field.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Has Dimel been asked the question, "Can you be specific about where you are improving; because it's cleverly concealed?" ?

Given the state of UTEP athletics lately, with hopes that Terry will at least turn around the basketball program, I wish Joe Muench was still around. I always got a kick out of his write ups.

Given the state of UTEP athletics lately, with hopes that Terry will at least turn around the basketball program, I wish Joe Muench was still around. I always got a kick out of his write ups.

Whatever happened with Butt-Muench? He seems to have gone the way of Loof Lirpa.

And where the heck is Darren Hunt?

Oh hell no.

Here's the simple Fact!!! UTEP has been decent when they've had a decent capable QB. A capable QB makes the whole team better. We need a capable QB and it's obvious Jones nor Kai are that.

Reactions: utep2step
Here's the simple Fact!!! UTEP has been decent when they've had a decent capable QB. A capable QB makes the whole team better. We need a capable QB and it's obvious Jones nor Kai are that.

Good observation.
Dimels offense requires an athletic QB who can effectively run, pass, and take a licking, ala Sean Gray. I don’t think a capable QB with that skill set is on the current roster. If there were, I think he would have been given an opportunity.

Muench was put on the back pages and I think retired. Hunt is still with KVIA.
Hunt used to be an active poster on this board. In fact, I think he even ran it for a time?

So... Did Hunt get bored of the UTEP beat, or was he kicked off, or???

Also, wasn't he involved in some weird altercation that got some publicity?

Hunt used to be an active poster on this board. In fact, I think he even ran it for a time?

I'm pretty sure Darren was either the original publisher of this site or took it over very early on. I don't know at what point he relinquished control.

As for weird altercations, we are talking about Darren. hehe. Maybe that comment will bring him out of hiding. I'm actually a big fan and friend of Darren's. Haven't spoken with him in many years though. Nor with other friends who are much closer to Darren than I ever was, like Jobu, Jeebie, sisJen...

In 2000, Nord's first year, he took us to the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise. Coming into his second year Miner fans were extremely excited. Reports from training camp said that the team was going to be better than the previous year's team. Expectations were high. That 2001 football team proceeded to go 2-9. Darren, who was the beat writer for both football and basketball, wrote a very critical article of Nord and his staff. Stull put pressure on the Times' staff, and Darren was removed from the UTEP Football beat.

He was still the beat writer for UTEP Basketball. But the basketball team that year followed up their 23-9 2000-01 season by going 10-22 in 2001-02. Darren refrained from criticizing Rab and his staff during the season, but blasted them when he wrote a post season report card on the team and staff. After more pressure from Stull, the Times replaced Darren with Bill Knight on the basketball beat.

Sometime after that Darren told me that he was on campus covering a story. Later an editor told him that he had received a call from Jeff Darby, stating that Darren was seen on campus, and asking the editor what he was going to do about it.

Seeing that he was only receiving menial assignments, and that he was not getting any support from his superiors, Darren quit the Times to work in TV.

In 2000...

Seeing that he was only receiving menial assignments, and that he was not getting any support from his superiors, Darren quit the Times to work in TV.

That's a damned shame. Darren kept things real. Rab deserved criticism. He was an asshole.

Bill Knight, from my limited memory, was a nice enough guy. But **** the school for silencing a beat reporter. Look at us now. UTEP cannot blame today's ugly situation on Darren or anyone else outside of the U.

And Jeff Darby, I mean, damn. I got that dude drunk off his ass in Albuquerque after we got our asses handed to us up there. I thought he was better than to threaten anyone for not putting lipstick on the pig our football team was back then, at least after that game. Nord had his tail tucked and head dropped in shame when he got back to the hotel that night. Nord never said a word to anyone. Walked in completely destroyed and went straight to the elevators to get to his room. He was absolutely defeated that night. At least Wade Phillips was nice as he checked into the hotel.

I think the demise of the El Paso Times had alot to do with those guys not being around anymore.

As far as Bloomquist, hes at the practices. I've seen him with his pad and paper. I definitely respect his opinions

In 2000, Nord's first year, he took us to the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise. Coming into his second year Miner fans were extremely excited. Reports from training camp said that the team was going to be better than the previous year's team. Expectations were high. That 2001 football team proceeded to go 2-9. Darren, who was the beat writer for both football and basketball, wrote a very critical article of Nord and his staff. Stull put pressure on the Times' staff, and Darren was removed from the UTEP Football beat.

He was still the beat writer for UTEP Basketball. But the basketball team that year followed up their 23-9 2000-01 season by going 10-22 in 2001-02. Darren refrained from criticizing Rab and his staff during the season, but blasted them when he wrote a post season report card on the team and staff. After more pressure from Stull, the Times replaced Darren with Bill Knight on the basketball beat.

Sometime after that Darren told me that he was on campus covering a story. Later an editor told him that he had received a call from Jeff Darby, stating that Darren was seen on campus, and asking the editor what he was going to do about it.

Then I took the admin job on here. Pissed everyone off and half booked and started Kyyotes Den. When I F things up, I make sure to go thru the pile of crap, not around it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT