ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stull

If we had a university president who was pro-sports, Stull would be gone. Natalicio will do nothing and let Stull be here as long as Stull wants to. And id you put yourself in Stulls shoes, why would you retire???? He gets paid six figures and does absolutely nothing and demands absolutely nothing from our mens coaches.

Reactions: UTEP05
Stull will keep his job so long as these two things remain,

* be superior to nmsu in athletics
(Utep administration has now based there success on beating nmsu since that is the only "rivalry" remaining)

* remain in cusa
( somehow utep football/basketball attendance is higher than other schools in the conference).

We are superior to NMSU in football, but they have outperformed us in mens BB. But sadly, if we were to play NMSU in football next week, they would beat us.

When we entered cusa we bragged we the only g5 school other than byu to be a 40/10 school, 40 k average in football 10k in basketball. This year we will probably be 27 k in football 6k in basketball. The attendance drops in both revenue sports tell you all you need to know. Bob doesnt seem to care.

When we entered cusa we bragged we the only g5 school other than byu to be a 40/10 school, 40 k average in football 10k in basketball. This year we will probably be 27 k in football 6k in basketball. The attendance drops in both revenue sports tell you all you need to know. Bob doesnt seem to care.

Football attendance could very well be under 20k.

I wonder how low attendance will drop if they keep losing. But they would have to drop bad for them to average under 20k.

Someone needs to go to next Utep game wearing paper bags over their Head. Maybe all the students can do it?

You don't think that is possible if they keep losing? You have to admit that the causal Miner fans are long gone now.

If we get blown out next week at LA Tech, and lose at home the following week against FIU, I can see our next 3 home games averaging around 15k against Old Dominion, Houston Baptist, and north texas.

I screwed this calculation up. There are only 4 home games remaining not 5. So the Miners need to avg 21.5k per game to end up with a 25k avg. Ain't going to happen.

Its going to be ugly but it will be close. They will get a little boost for homecoming 24-25k. Whatever the case the attendance trajectory in both revenue sports is pointing straight down. Something needs to be done immediately to fix it.

I just worry who will be the next coach. Do you give Brent Pease first crack? Or does Stull do what he's done before, does he bring in a coach who has ties to UTEP?

I screwed this calculation up. There are only 4 home games remaining not 5. So the Miners need to avg 21.5k per game to end up with a 25k avg. Ain't going to happen.

Thanks for the correction, totally forgot about the first game. No way are the rest of the game going to average 21.5k.

Its going to be ugly but it will be close. They will get a little boost for homecoming 24-25k. Whatever the case the attendance trajectory in both revenue sports is pointing straight down. Something needs to be done immediately to fix it.

Not many people care about homecoming. If UTEP keep losing, homecoming and Houston Baptist and North Texas could be ghost towns.

I just worry who will be the next coach. Do you give Brent Pease first crack? Or does Stull do what he's done before, does he bring in a coach who has ties to UTEP?

Like basketball, they should hire an up and coming assistant who just wants a job. It worked with Billy and Tony.

Kugler is not getting tired this year unless they lose the rest of their games. Everyone is a little premature on everything at this point. I'm not saying they will, by the looks of things, but a bowl and 6-6 season is still technically in play.

Reactions: MinerJo
Kugler is not getting tired this year unless they lose the rest of their games. Everyone is a little premature on everything at this point. I'm not saying they will, by the looks of things, but a bowl and 6-6 season is still technically in play.

Anything is "technically in play". A conference championship is technically in play. Realistically, they will be lucky to win 2-3 more games.

Kugler said he will walk away if things don't improve in 3 years. This is year 4 and things are looking worse than when Price was here.

Please put some thought into your posts before you hit reply. 8 home games? Get your head out of your ass, Bob. Do better.

I already corrected myself.

Like I stated before, I'm not Bob. Not sure what your fascination is with me, but it's really creepy.

What good does it do for UTEP as a whole to beat the bottom feeders of CUSA? Would that really warrant a successful season? That's like the USA comparing themselves to Mexico as a country. It's a disgrace for UTEP fans to be satisfied because of past accomplishments. If we think this is the best UTEP can be then UTEP is doomed and it's time to change the narrative.

GO MINERS!

It's a disgrace for UTEP fans to be satisfied because of past accomplishments.

I 100% agree. As much significance the 1966 team has, it's time to retire stating it before every basketball game.

I think a successful season is going to a bowl game and the cherry on top is winning a bowl game.

Guys, put the mutt on ignore! Don't reply to the mutt! Many on here have already, that's why things haven't gone awry. He's just chomping at the bit to pull somebody into a senseless back and forth derailment.

Guys, put the mutt on ignore! Don't reply to the mutt! Many on here have already, that's why things haven't gone awry. He's just chomping at the bit to pull somebody into a senseless back and forth derailment.

Not sure if you noticed, but this board goes very smooth without all these trolls posting useless garbage and other people who call others trolls for stating an opinion. I have no clue why these people keep responding to my posts posting about things that have nothing to do about the topic at hand, but I just want to talk about UTEP and hear all the differing opinion about UTEP. It seems all you do is whine and cry and post nothing relevant about UTEP.

Bob Stull will fire himself before he fires Sean Kugler. Stull and his committee of one (Bob Stull) hired Kugler despite his having zero credentials to be a successful head coach for an FBS program. None. It was a nepotism hire and a crap shoot from jump start and that flame is running out of oxygen. Still, Stull "owns" the Kugler experiment and he's not about to bail on his final hire, absent orders from his boss - which ain't gonna happen...

Last edited:
Bob Stull will fire himself before he fires Sean Kugler. Stull and his committee of one (Bob Stull) hired Kugler despite his having zero credentials to be head coach for an FBS program. None. It was a nepotism hire and a crap shoot from jump start and that flame is running out of oxygen. Still, Stull's "owns" the Kugler experiment and he's not about to bail on his final hire, absent orders from his boss - which ain't gonna happen...

Couldn't agree more. It all starts at the top. Bob doesn't have pressure from Diana and Sean doesn't have pressure from Bob. The Kugler experiment has failed and is done. This season isn't going to be a success. It's sad that a school like FIU can fire their coach but UTEP doesn't.

Tim Floyd and Sean Kugler are like the children who don't have any consequences from their parents and Bob Stull is the parent who keeps sticking up for his "children" after they fail time and time again.

Change in leadership at UTEP can't be far off. Dr Natalicio is 77 and Bob Stull will be 71 in Nov. Retirement for both should be nearing.

Anyone already at UTEP to replace either or both?

What students? They would rather go to trap fest then support their University.

UTEP is a commuter university. It's very tough to get non traditional students to support athletics. Plus, do you really blame them. Unless you're a die hard football fan, you're not going to watch this team play.

Change in leadership at UTEP can't be far off. Dr Natalicio is 77 and Bob Stull will be 71 in Nov. Retirement for both should be nearing.

I would rather hire somebody outside. The whole athletic department needs new staff.

Usually you would bring somebody in from the outside to do the dirty work, but you may have trouble finding someone to work for a boss who is a short-termer. If I'm Natalicio (such a national icon), I begin to lay the groundwork for my successor by asking Stull for a hard date for retirement. Maybe add a little incentive. Then let the new president search for someone who's got more tomorrows than yesterdays, a true up and comer - a Mack Rhodes type.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT