ADVERTISEMENT

Mexican American Cultural Center

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
$$$ was approved 11 years ago to build it. Cost has ballooned from $5.7M to $25.3M, and it’s still not open.

Who really gives a shit about this thing? I doubt locals or tourists will even go in significant numbers.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
El Paso has to be one of the worst money management cities in the country. Hi property taxes, yet the city is trashed all the time and the roads suck. Aside from the public schools unwilling to disperse money properly, all the rest of the it goes to UMC and EPCC. Building anything new, efficiently and on-time through bonds is like pulling teeth. How many of the big 3 items on the 2012 bond have actually come to fruition and how much money has the city lost?

They only have $150M left. They’re scouting for a new site. They’re going to need at least another $300M to build something nice.
They should have just bulldozed the Chinese laundry and then said, "Oops!" afterwards if anybody objected.

Didn't they actually have the bulldozers ready one morning after one of the court decisions? Should've just done it.

Reactions: EPUTEP
El Paso has to be one of the worst money management cities in the country. Hi property taxes, yet the city is trashed all the time and the roads suck. Aside from the public schools unwilling to disperse money properly, all the rest of the it goes to UMC and EPCC. Building anything new, efficiently and on-time through bonds is like pulling teeth. How many of the big 3 items on the 2012 bond have actually come to fruition and how much money has the city lost?
I criticize El Paso as much as anyone and wish I would have left awhile back. However, that’s not really true. Have you ever seen what Jackson, MS looks like? Most of Mississippi really. How bout New Orleans? Most of Arkansas? Birmingham? Bessemer, AL? Gary, IN? Detroit?

El Paso has small pockets of blight. We will never get the arena and most things aren’t done on time and over budget, but El Paso is Beverly Hills compared to some places.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I criticize El Paso as much as anyone and wish I would have left awhile back. However, that’s not really true. Have you ever seen what Jackson, MS looks like? Most of Mississippi really. How bout New Orleans? Most of Arkansas? Birmingham? Bessemer, AL? Gary, IN? Detroit?

El Paso has small pockets of blight. We will never get the arena and most things aren’t done on time and over budget, but El Paso is Beverly Hills compared to some places.
I like some of the stuff the city has done like the competition pools and the splash pads for kids. Hopefully the children’s museum will be great and regularly refreshed.

I just think this MACC is a dud, and obviously they blew the arena.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Won’t compete with the one planned by the Smithsonian, so I don’t see the point other to have something for locality sake (NM, AZ, West Texas). Hopefully the one planned in DC is just as good as the African American and Native American ones

Won’t compete with the one planned by the Smithsonian, so I don’t see the point other to have something for locality sake (NM, AZ, West Texas). Hopefully the one planned in DC is just as good as the African American and Native American ones

I agree 100%. No disrespect to local and regional artists, but I just can’t get into that stuff. Living in El Paso and seeing paintings of the desert or fruit stands doesn’t really do it for me.

I like some of the stuff the city has done like the competition pools and the splash pads for kids. Hopefully the children’s museum will be great and regularly refreshed.

I just think this MACC is a dud, and obviously they blew the arena.
We'll see about the Children's museum. I hope it's awesome too, but maintain and refresh are not common words in El Paso politics. My daughter is already 10 years old and we are still waiting for it to open.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT