ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS.....

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
UTA fires Scott Cross. No reason given except they are seeking a new alignment of the program. Coached there 12 seasons with record of 225-161 plus three conference championships and an NCAA appearance. Went 21-13 this year and went to the conference championship game. The assistants are gone too.
Very, very odd. A lot of programs would have given their left "---" for such a record at a school that has no history or expectations. I would expect more news later.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I guess once they hire a new hc we will know what Arlington’s aspirations are. They want to reach another level. Cross is an outstanding coach but 12 years without an NCAA tournament win leaves more to be desired.

Is it too late to, ah never mind.

A truly bizarre firing. Someone posted on Twitter that AD Jim Baker never hired his ‘own guy’ and he wanted to do that.

Kinda like what happened to Dimel at Houston.

A truly bizarre firing. Someone posted on Twitter that AD Jim Baker never hired his ‘own guy’ and he wanted to do that.

Kinda like what happened to Dimel at Houston.

How is it bizarre? 1 NCAA tournament, 11 years ago and 2 NITs in 12 years. Talk about low expectations. Good for UTA. Not settling for mediocrity like UTEP did with Stull and Floyd.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Uta has great facilities and over 50,000 students counting online students. They've got alot of untapped potential. I've always thought they could be the Wichita State of Texas.

Uta has great facilities and over 50,000 students counting online students. They've got alot of untapped potential. I've always thought they could be the Wichita State of Texas.
It took Wichita State over ten years to get to their level they're at. Twelve years ago they rededicated themselves to have a strong program and their former coaches went on to bigger programs but left a blueprint. I agree that it appears the AD wanted "his own" coach. Nothing wrong with that but make it clear to Cross he's doing good but you have higher expectations or your moving on. But nothing is fair in D1 sports. Dumb move on UTA's part. UTEP has great basketball facilities but that only goes so far.

It took Wichita State over ten years to get to their level they're at. Twelve years ago they rededicated themselves to have a strong program and their former coaches went on to bigger programs but left a blueprint. I agree that it appears the AD wanted "his own" coach. Nothing wrong with that but make it clear to Cross he's doing good but you have higher expectations or your moving on. But nothing is fair in D1 sports. Dumb move on UTA's part. UTEP has great basketball facilities but that only goes so far.

UTA is raising their expectations. I applaud them for that. Nobody gives a rats ass about 20 win seasons or NIT's. They are using the Houston's model. It's a big risk but you'll never get big rewards without a big risks. If you want to be a big boy you got to run your program like a big boy. I like the message it sends it make everybody raise their game. Baker has went all in and risked his career to push the bar higher. I love it.

As for our facilities. I like the Foster Stephens Center, but the Haskins Center needs help. It's not a top notch facility. It reminds me of a Soviet era sports arena. It's dark it's dank and it lacks amenities and character. It's needs so TLC.

UTA is raising their expectations. I applaud them for that. Nobody gives a rats ass about 20 win seasons or NIT's. They are using the Houston's model. It's a big risk but you'll never get big rewards without a big risks. If you want to be a big boy you got to run your program like a big boy. I like the message it sends it make everybody raise their game. Baker has went all in and risked his career to push the bar higher. I love it.

As for our facilities. I like the Foster Stephens Center, but the Haskins Center needs help. It's not a top notch facility. It reminds me of a Soviet era sports arena. It's dark it's dank and it lacks amenities and character. It's needs so TLC.

I agree on DHC needs some renovations. A nice 360 center board is nice, but the roof doesn't support it. Roof restructuring is very, very expensive to support those behemoths of a scoreboard. Vendor booths need modernized. I've worked in those and they leave a lot to be desired (Sun Bowl & DHC). Lighting can be spruced up. Leave actual seats alone but add cup holders. Light up stairs better for young kids and oldsters to
see better. Repaint and add greater handicapped accesibilty and spruce up locker rooms. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: axingfools1
CTF new coach at UTA. Starting point guard Deon Barrett...JK, weirder stuff has happened though
I take his health concern he brought up during his retiring announcement at face value. I wish him the best. Take some time off, clear the health concerns and if the fire is still burning I can't see why some D1 would not ask him to coach if money is right? IMO, he's a good person and nice man and a good family man. His recruiting failed him at UTEP.

How is it bizarre? 1 NCAA tournament, 11 years ago and 2 NITs in 12 years. Talk about low expectations. Good for UTA. Not settling for mediocrity like UTEP did with Stull and Floyd.

With that logic, the Sun Belt should fire 11 coaches each year.

He was 82-33 the last 3 years. 2 wins at BYU. Beat Ohio State, Texas, and St Marys on the road. Was a player, a GA, an assistant, and HC in over 20 years at UTA. 5 postseasons at a great place that only had 1 in the previous 50. Cross did a great job at a low major. It makes no sense. BTW, his brother is UTEPs soccer coach.

I do think that they made the wrong move with this firing but at the same time, can you fault a school for “maybe” expecting even more from their coach? I think they are sending the message that 20 win seasons mean nothing and that they should be in contention for NCAA Tournament appearances on a more consistent basis. Maybe they feel that their program has plateaued but seems like in the last 5-10 years it is becoming common for coaches to get fired coming off of winning seasons. But with that being said UTA should be careful for what they wish for because they could be taking a massive step back if they don’t hire a coach who is even better than Cross.

With that logic, the Sun Belt should fire 11 coaches each year.

He was 82-33 the last 3 years. 2 wins at BYU. Beat Ohio State, Texas, and St Marys on the road. Was a player, a GA, an assistant, and HC in over 20 years at UTA. 5 postseasons at a great place that only had 1 in the previous 50. Cross did a great job at a low major. It makes no sense. BTW, his brother is UTEPs soccer coach.

He made 1 tournament in 12 years. How many other current Sun Belt coaches have been there that long with 1 appearance? Not sure what logic you're using.

Those are nice wins for them, but what about the losses? He was 5-10 on the road this year, 10-8 in SBC play and lost to the last place team. He couldn't win when it mattered those last 3 years and that's all that counts.

He did do a good job, but how would the next few years be any different? If Rodney Terry makes 1 NCAA appearance in 12 years, there's no way he makes it to 13 or even 12.

Who cares if his brother coaches here and he was a UTA alum? What does that have to do with making 1 NCAA in 12 years?

Good for UTA trying something new, will it work out? Who cares? I only care if UTEP is successful.

Did anyone know of UTA's basketball program before Scott Cross?

Yeah, they sucked. McCarter was there for 14 seasons. Cross coached 11 seasons I believe. Take away McCarter’s worst 3 seasons where he only won 7, 10 and 10 and he sits right at .500. I don’t fault UTA for wanting to go a different route, but Cross dramatically improved that program.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
It's a gamble for UTA but I can respect that they are raising expectations in their athletic program. This is a school with twice the enrollment of UTEP and no football program.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I agree on DHC needs some renovations. A nice 360 center board is nice, but the roof doesn't support it. Roof restructuring is very, very expensive to support those behemoths of a scoreboard. Vendor booths need modernized. I've worked in those and they leave a lot to be desired (Sun Bowl & DHC). Lighting can be spruced up. Leave actual seats alone but add cup holders. Light up stairs better for young kids and oldsters to
see better. Repaint and add greater handicapped accesibilty and spruce up locker rooms. Just my $0.02.

There is no guarantee that the new arena will get built anytime soon, especially if it keeps getting held up in court. But since Mr. Senter has said that their are no plans to upgrade the Haskins Center at least for now. What about they upgrade the floor design like in NBA style.
-Keep the pics as it is
-The sideline where the team benches and scorers table are:
UTEPATHLETICS.com - visitors bench
NCAA logo - scorers table
@UTEPATHLETICS - home team bench
MINERS- both baselines
DON HASKINS CENTER - sideline closest to camera deck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT