ADVERTISEMENT

C-USA new tv partner BeIn Sports USA 1st game... UTEP vs NMSU

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
beIN Sports

Sat, Sept. 3, New Mexico State at UTEP, time TBA

Time not announced but another article that I can't find right now said that all BeIn games would kickoff at 4:30pm central time. That would be a pretty warm 3:30pm start time on Sept 3rd in El Paso. I'll try to find that reference.

Another major event going on in El Paso that same weekend is the Sun City Music Festival. The two day event drew around 40,000 spectators last year. That is sure to have an impact on the attendance also.

The value of Conference USA’s television contracts has eroded even more than earlier reports indicated.

The league will receive about $2.8 million in TV revenue in 2016-2017 from its four broadcast networks, according to documents The Virginian-Pilot obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

That’s about $200,000 for each school, according to notes Old Dominion officials received during C-USA’s spring meetings last month.

It represents a steep decline from from the $15.4 million, or about $1.1 million per school, to be distributed this year.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/colle...cle_1dd435cb-800e-574d-be6d-0afa42d957e7.html

We lost Memphis, UCF,ECU,Tulsa, SMU, Houston and Tulane. They were replaced with,UNT,UNCC,UTSA,LaTech,MTSU,ODU,
FIU and FAU. Im suprised cusa only lost 1.1 million per school.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
We lost Memphis, UCF,ECU,Tulsa, SMU, Houston and Tulane. They were replaced with,UNT,UNCC,UTSA,LaTech,MTSU,ODU,
FIU and FAU. Im suprised cusa only lost 1.1 million per school.

Only? That's a loss of a fortune to this downtrodden, serf-like conference. beIN Sports...Is this a joke? No ESPN. No Fox Sports. No CBS College Sports Network. No NBC Sports. beIN is known for soccer, motorsports, cycling, tennis, and now, apparently, Conference USA Football. I'm watching IAAF Diamond League track and field right now.
At least they're in HD. It's DirecTV channel 620 for those interested.

Can this conference suck any more?

It's not the conferences fault. We've yet to win this sucky conference. Our coaching staff and sports teams have not performed well enough to get anyone's attention.
So true. Its so frustrating watching us sink lower and lower. But the frustrating part is we have an athletic director who publicly states that he doesn't use CUSA basketball regular season titles or NCAA Tourney Appearances as part of his evaluation of our mens basketball coach. He only cares about 20 win seasons even though we are ranked in the 200's in the RPI. Winning CUSA regular season titles and making NCAA Tourney appearances are best ticket to get out of CUSA and our AD doesn't care about those. We desperately need fresh blood in the athletic department. The only program that is performing well enough to get attention is the woman's BB team.

Reactions: LaserCoog
Basketball is important for sure but football is what drive's the bus. We have to be good in football to move up in conference affiliation. This is paramount. Every available resource has to be put into our football program and we have to make the program a priority. I think we all know that this is an absolute fact. To move up, you have to have a great football program and brand.

Reactions: e-rick and miner661
Basketball is important for sure but football is what drive's the bus. We have to be good in football to move up in conference affiliation. This is paramount. Every available resource has to be put into our football program and we have to make the program a priority. I think we all know that this is an absolute fact. To move up, you have to have a great football program and brand.

Ditto ...

I've always felt that had the Mike Price experiment worked out we would be in the MW or AAC right now. He rescued us from being a bottom dweller team but couldn't quite pull the trigger to get us from medriocre to good.

It's not the conferences fault. We've yet to win this sucky conference. Our coaching staff and sports teams have not performed well enough to get anyone's attention.

The conference, as a whole, sucks. That includes UTEP's performance. We have sucked, in a sucky conference. So, yeah, it is the conference's fault.

Only? That's a loss of a fortune to this downtrodden, serf-like conference. beIN Sports...Is this a joke? No ESPN. No Fox Sports. No CBS College Sports Network. No NBC Sports. beIN is known for soccer, motorsports, cycling, tennis, and now, apparently, Conference USA Football. I'm watching IAAF Diamond League track and field right now.
At least they're in HD. It's DirecTV channel 620 for those interested.

Can this conference suck any more?
Not sure if I understand your post, but beIN is the fourth of the 4 TV partners after ESPN, CBS SN, and ASN. So, it's not the only.

While I'm not sure the amount of exposure CUSA is going to get on ESPN TV (I think it's 5 football games this year), the bonus is ESPN3. It will at least be a huge upgrade over Minervision (hopefully the days of watching a basketball game from the perspective of the referee's ass are over), and it should enable us to actually watch road games on a consistent basis.

And between beIN and ASN, I'd take beIN any day since it's an actual, non-syndicated network and I actually get it.

Not sure if I understand your post, but beIN is the fourth of the 4 TV partners after ESPN, CBS SN, and ASN. So, it's not the only.

While I'm not sure the amount of exposure CUSA is going to get on ESPN TV (I think it's 5 football games this year), the bonus is ESPN3. It will at least be a huge upgrade over Minervision (hopefully the days of watching a basketball game from the perspective of the referee's ass are over), and it should enable us to actually watch road games on a consistent basis.

And between beIN and ASN, I'd take beIN any day since it's an actual, non-syndicated network and I actually get it.

"Only" was in reference to the loss of revenue this new TV deal brings the conference. In certain context, the word "only" gives a perception of "not significant" or "no big deal". However, I feel the loss of $200,000 per conference member is very significant. I hope that clarifies my initial post.

ASN looks like they broadcast games using a video camera they picked up at Goodwill.

ASN looks like they broadcast games using a video camera they picked up at Goodwill.
I'd put up with a game shot on a Goodwill camera as long as it's available in more places than Tombstone, AZ, Deadwood, SD, and Bannock, MT.

Reactions: unihorn
Yep its all about football. The point I was trying to make was if our AD publicly states that he doesn't take into consideration CUSA regular season titles and NCAA Tourney apearances when he evaluates Floyd's performance, then I wonder what his expectations are for Kugler and the football program. Given Floyd's experience as a coach and what he has accomplished in the past, CUSA regular season titles and NCAA Tourney appearances should weigh heavily on his performance evaluations. So Im guessing our AD doesn't use wins and loses and bowl games as part of Kuglers evaluation????? As long as he beats NMSU, then thats all he evaluates him on??????? Im not knocking Kugler at all. I think he has done a good job here and the football team shows a lot of promise. We are at a crucial point in time where we need to be setting the bar really high for our sports teams so we can get the hell out of this conference. Its just very concerning when our AD hires a successful veteran BB coach and doesn't use CUSA regular season titles and NCAA Appearances as part of his job performance evaluation. I don't think we have the right AD to get us out of CUSA. We need fresh blood with new ideas in our athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT