ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP and the new CUSA - what are the positives?

centex-miner

MI VIP
Jun 28, 2001
pay4dirt previously posted the following in another thread. I think this leads to a discussion of the future for UTEP and the New CUSA.
The top three teams in C-USA at most, are pretty good. Right now, FAU is having its best season in history. That's great for right now. It'll be interesting to see what they do with this momentum in the AAC. It won't mean a thing for C-USA after this season. I hope we get a good payout for this. We certainly need it. C-USA is the conference of the left behinds. Especially the remaining five holdovers (this means UTEP) are schools that are just plain unwilling to step up to make their athletic departments better. I wish it were different. There was a time, years ago, when the conference seemed hungrier to succeed. Now it's like they are thrilled to death just to be treading water in the same spot season after season. Very frustrating for the fans. Oh well.

UTEP fans will now have to look forward to the New CUSA for 2023 (Kennesaw State coming in 2024):

FIU
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
New Mexico State
Sam Houston
UTEP
WKU:

It would be interesting to learn what fellow UTEP fans think may be the positives in our new reality.

Mine are:

- 9/10 teams for basketball give a better chance for making the NCAA (since it is a one bid league)​
- Playing other schools of equal talent and similar situations, primarily due to NIL and money issues.​
- UTEP is still in a conference​
Unfortunately, that is all I can think of at the moment. Would love to hear other positives.

I was excited about the potential of the basketball, but then NMSU died and UTEP looks like it's going to be bottom of the barrel in the new league. There is a core to build around atleast, but utep isn't apart of that core. Kennesaw in 24 might be nice too.

In terms of football, utep isn't apart of the core either. Liberty, SHSU, WKU, MTSU, and possibly NMSU(they just won a bowl and they have a good coach) are the potential core to build around in CUSA.

Utep isn't upgrading facilities, they aren't winning championships, they aren't holding poor performance accountable. Getting left behind every ten years isn't changing things (sans getting into CUSA back in 05). Hard to be positive.

Atleast the CUSA media deal somehow improved with all of the losses CUSA suffered. Utep will be nationally televised.

CUSA basketball could be pretty good, but still a 1 bid league. It might be worse though. Especially since NMSU, SHSU, and WKU are getting new coaches.

I like it, I think there is potential to "appear" better in the long-term, which can help their image. Let's face it, UTEP's image, looks like mushy Chico's right now... They need a major rebranding... Freaking bring back "Texas Western" and for good... It can be done, and still be in the UT system...Or just win. Dimel will have the boys rollin this year. Things wont always be ugly. Go Miners!

The level of competition has dropped so it should be easier to win the CUSA Tournament and get an auto bid in the NCAA Tournament is the positive. Sadly the external environment has to weaken for UTEP to get better results because UTEP Athletics doesn’t care about improving internally.

The level of competition has dropped so it should be easier to win the CUSA Tournament and get an auto bid in the NCAA Tournament is the positive. Sadly the external environment has to weaken for UTEP to get better results because UTEP Athletics doesn’t care about improving internally.
I don’t know. Just like how water finds its own level…

Reactions: Rocketsr
Fixed the heating system in the Don
Senter modified the MBB head coach's contract to now include a buy out if they get hired to be an assistant coach at another school. Maybe next time he can add a modification that UTEP will get paid if that coach goes on to win national coach of the year. Genius level stuff. 😀

It only took 6 coaches to finally work that into the contracts, from Stull's to-do list...
Yep. The thing is the lost revenue from the lack of the buyout clause happened under Senter. That money could have been used for improved assistant's salaries, just as an example. The need for such a clause now shows just how far the program has fallen. Almost feels like UTEP athletics have become more like JC. I guess Senter makes up for the revenue loss with his killer fundraising talents. 😉

Get to go watch Utep in Atlanta. If UTEP had good recruiters they would be able to recruit the Atlanta market now.

Reactions: JCorona
I believe the money stays with the conference. All teams in the conference get equal shares. Fau might get to keep their share, depends on conference bylaws.
I don’t think the new teams or those leaving get anything.

I believe the money stays with the conference. All teams in the conference get equal shares. Fau might get to keep their share, depends on conference bylaws.
I don’t think the new teams or those leaving get anything.
Teams leaving do not get anything and are paying money to leave. It only benefits CUSA teams that will be in the conference.

Don’t forget that Senter also counted the seats at the DHC and fixed our capacity! Apparently no one had thought of that before.
The capacity percentage that the high school kid thinks is “embarrassing” would be even worse if the capacity was still 12,222

Reactions: JCorona
Get to go watch Utep in Atlanta. If UTEP had good recruiters they would be able to recruit the Atlanta market now.
I’ve said this for a while now but the California recruiting does not work for us. All these years we should have been going to Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia for players.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
I’ve said this for a while now but the California recruiting does not work for us. All these years we should have been going to Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia for players.

If UTEP was in a regional conference like they should be, I'd disagree. But, being in the toilet bowl C-USA conference with schools scattered like a massive squirt poo all over the toilet, you might be right.

It does make sense to recruit areas where we will be playing so families can see their kids play. How many families can afford to come to El Paso to watch their kids play? Of course, that has been UTEP's problem forever. We might still recruit California if we were going to schedule games with teams out there. But if not, then out west becomes less of a recruiting option for us. But that doesn't mean we automatically say no to someone who wants to go to a school away from home. But we have to plan ahead to maximize our recruiting. Do our coaches put that much thought into planning ahead?

I'm a minority but this may just work out alright for CUSA. Looking past at the "what have you done for me lately?" of (mid major) football and basketball and the 24/7 roasting of Dimel and Golding this could work out because of market, commitment to expansion by the schools, and competitiveness.

FIU....It's Miami!
Jacksonville State....Can be like ODU? Jump up opens recruiting and they have Rich Rodriguez to get that accomplished.
Liberty...."I'm rich biatch!". They can get top coaches. They will compete day 1.
Louisiana Tech....So, so, so glad they are in CUSA. UTEP has a rival and they are always competitive.
Middle Tennessee.....Adding new facilities and always competitive. They and WKU bring their rivalry and balance to CUSA.
New Mexico State: ESPN may still call them "New Mexico", but Kill will compete for the crown? NMSU poached a darn good coach for basketball. They'll be back in a couple years. Traveling partner saves on budget big time for them and UTEP.
Sam Houston....Dear UTEP fans! Alums and locals call it "Sam". They are not SHSU, they are "Sam!".
WKU: Senter sent a box of chocolates, some L&J Salsa, and Mary Robbins autographed album to WKU for staying (along with MTSU). UTEP, FIU and LT would have been playing pocket pool at the dance if they and MTSU departed.

Reactions: groundrounds
Teams leaving do not get anything and are paying money to leave. It only benefits CUSA teams that will be in the conference.

So, five teams remain, and they get to split a little over $300K every year, for the next 6 years. So UTEP gets a whopping $50-$60K a year. Thanks, FAU!

So, five teams remain, and they get to split a little over $300K every year, for the next 6 years. So UTEP gets a whopping $50-$60K a year. Thanks, FAU!
It’s about triple that, depending on who leaves/stays/etc. Definitely not a big amount, but is needed when you’re going to be playing Wednesday home games and playing in front of smaller crowds.

Or I liked JCoronas idea of building a winter wonderland. UTEP should put that money into the winter wonderland fund.

If UTEP's entire athletic department would get together and decide that this is a new beginning for the conference and for UTEP, maybe something positive would happen. We fans can dream, I guess. Go Miners.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I was excited about the potential of the basketball, but then NMSU died and UTEP looks like it's going to be bottom of the barrel in the new league. There is a core to build around atleast, but utep isn't apart of that core. Kennesaw in 24 might be nice too.

In terms of football, utep isn't apart of the core either. Liberty, SHSU, WKU, MTSU, and possibly NMSU(they just won a bowl and they have a good coach) are the potential core to build around in CUSA.

Utep isn't upgrading facilities, they aren't winning championships, they aren't holding poor performance accountable. Getting left behind every ten years isn't changing things (sans getting into CUSA back in 05). Hard to be positive.

Atleast the CUSA media deal somehow improved with all of the losses CUSA suffered. Utep will be nationally televised.
I agree with the facilities and effort or lack there of to make UTEP better and attractive to a conference such as MWC. I don't agree on the Football and Basketball we don't have enough of a sample size after one decent season and one bad season. SHSU, jury is still out as they make the jump, NMSU won a bowl so now everyone thinks they turned a corner, but their facilities are even below Utep's and I doubt they'll be consistent in football and Basketball is a mess. Also UTEP has won 12 games in two years in football and will in my opinion having a winning season this year, so potentially 18-20 wins in 3 years. Which is better than most of us are used to. Shit on Dimel as much as you want, but Utep's roster talent is far better than it was when he got here and last year was very competitive, but couldn't pull out close games. I understand the Miner fans not wanting to believe anything will change, but UTEP Football is in decent hands and the trajectory is on the upslope. What we need is more of a financial commitment from the University, Alumni and NIL. We are not in the bottom tier of this new conference though, like this post would lead one to believe.

I agree with the facilities and effort or lack there of to make UTEP better and attractive to a conference such as MWC. I don't agree on the Football and Basketball we don't have enough of a sample size after one decent season and one bad season. SHSU, jury is still out as they make the jump, NMSU won a bowl so now everyone thinks they turned a corner, but their facilities are even below Utep's and I doubt they'll be consistent in football and Basketball is a mess. Also UTEP has won 12 games in two years in football and will in my opinion having a winning season this year, so potentially 18-20 wins in 3 years. Which is better than most of us are used to. Shit on Dimel as much as you want, but Utep's roster talent is far better than it was when he got here and last year was very competitive, but couldn't pull out close games. I understand the Miner fans not wanting to believe anything will change, but UTEP Football is in decent hands and the trajectory is on the upslope. What we need is more of a financial commitment from the University, Alumni and NIL. We are not in the bottom tier of this new conference though, like this post would lead one to believe.
Hope you're right brother. It is hard to have positive expectations of utep athletics.

Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT