ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP and the new CUSA - what are the positives?

I agree with the facilities and effort or lack there of to make UTEP better and attractive to a conference such as MWC. I don't agree on the Football and Basketball we don't have enough of a sample size after one decent season and one bad season. SHSU, jury is still out as they make the jump, NMSU won a bowl so now everyone thinks they turned a corner, but their facilities are even below Utep's and I doubt they'll be consistent in football and Basketball is a mess. Also UTEP has won 12 games in two years in football and will in my opinion having a winning season this year, so potentially 18-20 wins in 3 years. Which is better than most of us are used to. Shit on Dimel as much as you want, but Utep's roster talent is far better than it was when he got here and last year was very competitive, but couldn't pull out close games. I understand the Miner fans not wanting to believe anything will change, but UTEP Football is in decent hands and the trajectory is on the upslope. What we need is more of a financial commitment from the University, Alumni and NIL. We are not in the bottom tier of this new conference though, like this post would lead one to believe.
Go lay your money in Vegas on a winning season. The over/under in wins is 5.5, even with the crappier conference. The guys that make those odds see the team from the outside, and have no bias.

Not winning close games is coaching. My question to you: If UTEP wins under 6 games should there be a change, or are you just happy that they don't finish at the bottom of a crappy conference? Dismal has had plenty of time to put his stamp on this team, and it is simply mediocre, nothing more. Do you not strive for something better? Roasting in mediocrity or maybe a little below is not something that I enjoy, and just because that is better than other years does not give me a cause for celebration.

One could argue that NMSU football has a better trajectory than us. They at least have 2 recent bowl wins (2017,2022), as we have not had one in 56 years. I would say it is a very sad day when they can accomplish that over us. Secondly, Vegas is predicting they will get more wins than us as their over/under is 6.5. Tell me that we are headed in the right direction when NMSU has passed us?

I don't want to be negative, but it sticking to the same old crap for too long that dooms us, and sets us back years as the next coach has to clean up the mess. My standards are a little higher than yours. Just look at the conference we are in. If you were told that UTEP would be in a conference like this 10-20 years ago, would you really be happy? If UTEP was really headed in the right direction, they would not be in this conference.

Go lay your money in Vegas on a winning season. The over/under in wins is 5.5, even with the crappier conference. The guys that make those odds see the team from the outside, and have no bias.

Not winning close games is coaching. My question to you: If UTEP wins under 6 games should there be a change, or are you just happy that they don't finish at the bottom of a crappy conference? Dismal has had plenty of time to put his stamp on this team, and it is simply mediocre, nothing more. Do you not strive for something better? Roasting in mediocrity or maybe a little below is not something that I enjoy, and just because that is better than other years does not give me a cause for celebration.

One could argue that NMSU football has a better trajectory than us. They at least have 2 recent bowl wins (2017,2022), as we have not had one in 56 years. I would say it is a very sad day when they can accomplish that over us. Secondly, Vegas is predicting they will get more wins than us as their over/under is 6.5. Tell me that we are headed in the right direction when NMSU has passed us?

I don't want to be negative, but it sticking to the same old crap for too long that dooms us, and sets us back years as the next coach has to clean up the mess. My standards are a little higher than yours. Just look at the conference we are in. If you were told that UTEP would be in a conference like this 10-20 years ago, would you really be happy? If UTEP was really headed in the right direction, they would not be in this conference.
This probably goes to over under 6 with return of Smith which this doesn't account for. I'd gladly take the over 5.5 as I think 6 or 7 is probably where they'll be. I don't think there's a big come up though for betting the over on one teams win total -130 for one team ain't shit. 1. No one said I was happy with the state of men's Athletics or its trajectory, read again to understand that. 2. NMSU has a good year and now all of the sudden their football is better than UTEP and they're on the rise haha gimme a break. True prisoner of the moment rhetoric right there lol 😅. 3. I stated Basketball jury is still out, Football could win 18-20 wins in 3 years and University, Alumni and NIL needs to drastically improve commitment and funds... Which of those are wrong?

Reactions: Taco1977
In the four years prior to Dimel, we had 16 wins combined. His first year he won one game.

In the four years prior to Kill, NMSU had 8 wins combined. He won 7 and a bowl game in year one.

When are we gonna stop making excuses for UTEP? It can be done here and just as quickly.

In the four years prior to Dimel, we had 16 wins combined. His first year he won one game.

In the four years prior to Kill, NMSU had 8 wins combined. He won 7 and a bowl game in year one.

When are we gonna stop making excuses for UTEP? It can be done here and just as quickly.
How did UTEP do in the last year before Dimel took over?

How many ex-Big Ten coaches like Kill who had previously retired for seizures on the field are there out there looking for a job at UTEP?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

How many ex-Big Ten coaches like Kill who had previously retired for seizures on the field are there out there looking for a job at UTEP?
I don’t really see a big difference between our winless season and NMSU’s season prior to Kill.

The coaches are out there. Georgia Southern hired the USC coach for the same pay as Dimel.

When are we gonna stop making excuses for UTEP? It can be done here and just as quickly.I

I simply stated facts. Dimel got a shit team from Kugler and if they have a winning season that'll be 18+ wins in 3 seasons, which UTEP hasn't seen since Price. Aggies won a Bowl game I'll give em that. Let's just pump the breaks before saying they're passing UTEP by. Let's see in 5-10 years if that's the case, but we're just not quite there yet. Like I said UTEP needs to commit money and have a vision to be better and move out of this conference. No one denied that, I literally said that lol.

• Haha

Dismal will have his chance to run the program into the ground the same as Kugler. We held onto Kugler too long and look what happened. We held onto Price the same. Now we are holding onto Dismal who will do the same. The next coach that comes in after Dismal will most likely have the same fate as the preceding coach leaves them with nothing.

We need to break our ties earlier and stop handing out extensions. NMSU has won 2 bowl games since 2017. How is that possible if we cannot win 1 in 56 years.

Let's not compare basketball either. When was our last appearance? Our last win? NMSU has been to the tournament since 2006-07 10 times. They have won a tournament game in 2022. Our last tournament was 2009-2010, lost in the first round. Last win was 1991.

You can keep saying they have not passed us? They are now in the same conference as us, when everyone used to make an excuse about their crappy conference. Run the numbers by anyone outside El Paso that is not connected with UTEP, and which programs would they see as more successful? (Not withstanding the current state of the basketball team that is not on court related)

I write this to put out there the sad state of affairs, especially to those that say we are on the right track and rising. If we are, it is at a miniscule rate and others are rising much faster. Keep backing Dismal, Senter, and the president of the university, and see where it gets you. Without changes, we are going to stay stationary, or just digress further.

Last edited:
Personally, 18 wins in 3 years just isn’t good enough. And that’s counting our eggs before they hatch. I know that’s exactly what Wilson strives for, 50/50 .500 seasons. There’s still a strong possibility we do what we always do and fall short of .500.

The pressure is on UTEP after NMSU showed what can be done in the borderland.

Kill inherited a shit team too. One that had to skip a season prior to Martin’s last. In one year, he did what we hope Dimel can do by year 6.

This probably goes to over under 6 with return of Smith which this doesn't account for. I'd gladly take the over 5.5 as I think 6 or 7 is probably where they'll be. I don't think there's a big come up though for betting the over on one teams win total -130 for one team ain't shit. 1. No one said I was happy with the state of men's Athletics or its trajectory, read again to understand that. 2. NMSU has a good year and now all of the sudden their football is better than UTEP and they're on the rise haha gimme a break. True prisoner of the moment rhetoric right there lol 😅. 3. I stated Basketball jury is still out, Football could win 18-20 wins in 3 years and University, Alumni and NIL needs to drastically improve commitment and funds... Which of those are wrong?
Vegas has not changed their numbers. This is not basketball where one decent player (Not outstanding) can change the whole dynamic of a team. Remember Dismal is still their coach, and who is going to throw the ball to him? But, hey if you think the number is great, lay a few thousand on it.

UTEP did not have a good recruiting year, and their transfers are not highly rated. The good players left, and adding by subtracting is never going to come out with a positive outcome.

Tell me how the football team got better? Who are the players that are going to change the outcome? I do this with the Dallas Cowboys every year, so I am used to this argument. Again, Dismal is still their coach.

Personally, 18 wins in 3 years just isn’t good enough. And that’s counting our eggs before they hatch. I know that’s exactly what Wilson strives for, 50/50 .500 seasons. There’s still a strong possibility we do what we always do and fall short of .500.

The pressure is on UTEP after NMSU showed what can be done in the borderland.

Kill inherited a shit team too. One that had to skip a season prior to Martin’s last. In one year, he did what we hope Dimel can do by year 6.
I agree we want better. I'm just staying 18-20 wins in 3 years would be more than we're used to and not doom and gloom. The goal would be to build on this and be consistent. However we'd need the President, AD, Boosters, NIL etc... So far it doesn't look like that's happening like we want, but hopefully that changes.

I agree we want better. I'm just staying 18-20 wins in 3 years would be more than we're used to and not doom and gloom. The goal would be to build on this and be consistent. However we'd need the President, AD, Boosters, NIL etc... So far it doesn't look like that's happening like we want, but hopefully that changes.
That's the problem. The president and AD are not going to. And if you do not pressure them, and are happy with what is being presented, they will do absolutely nothing but hand out more extensions.

This is the same argument I have about the Dallas Cowboys who have not won a divisional playoff in 28 years. People are happy where they are. They are happy with having good regular seasons, satisfied. Why expect anything else than that? It has been 28 years and nothing is going to change because the fans are satisfied with it.

You have Jerry Jones saying the Cowboys are better off than the Eagles? Well reality tells you that the Eagles have passed the Cowboys in success. They have been to the Super Bowl twice in the last 5 years, winning 1. Had arguably one of the best drafts, have a younger and better QB and are built to sustain this for years. And Jerry is happy where the Cowboys are and keeps telling himself that they are better off than the Eagles. Again, if you are happy along with him, than what will change?

Last edited:
It's just that some people like to complain because complaining is easy and it's something they're good at.

That's the problem. The president and AD are not going to. And if you do not pressure them, and are happy with what is being presented, they will do absolutely nothing but hand out more extensions.

This is the same argument I have about the Dallas Cowboys who have not won a divisional playoff in 28 years. People are happy where they are. They are happy with having good regular seasons, satisfied. Why expect anything else than that? It has been 28 years and nothing is going to change because the fans are satisfied with it.

You have Jerry Jones saying the Cowboys are better off than the Eagles? Well reality tells you that the Eagles have passed the Cowboys in success. They have been to the Super Bowl twice in the last 5 years, winning 1. Had arguably one of the best drafts, have a younger and better QB and are built to sustain this for years. And Jerry is happy where the Cowboys are and keeps telling himself that they are better off than the Eagles. Again, if you are happy along with him, than what will change?
How are you going to apply pressure to the AD and the President to affect change?

With the new additions and returns on the football team, the Miners have the talent to win eight games this season. The question is if the coaching is good enough to get us more than six. Dimel can be as aggravating as hell with his play calling. He actually called a good game against Fresno State in his one bowl appearance. His teams have beaten Boise State and won in the Eastern Time Zone. At the same time, his team lost to a bad, I mean bad New Mexico team. Go figure. I am wishing and hoping he lights a fire under the offense to put some games away this season with the talent we have this year. It would be a good start to this latest version of CUSA. Go Miners.

It’s not complaining, it’s being realistic as a life long fan of a shit team.

Some people are very good at pumping sunshine every pre season. No matter how many times they get it wrong they start with the same “if” scenarios every year.

Wasn’t last year when many were saying 8-9 or more wins? I said all along we will struggle to hit .500. Optimistic bs is as annoying as reality.

So why is this year going to be any different? We had a chance to make some changes and hire an offensive coordinator but we went with the ole buddy system.

It's UTEP's version of craziness. Do the same thing over and over and expect different results. This is the frustration of fans of the Miners. I was just wishing they'd take this opportunity to make a change. Maybe I expect too much. If bitching and moaning were a sport, we have some of the best fans in the country. So be it.

It’s not complaining, it’s being realistic as a life long fan of a shit team.

Some people are very good at pumping sunshine every pre season. No matter how many times they get it wrong they start with the same “if” scenarios every year.

Wasn’t last year when many were saying 8-9 or more wins? I said all along we will struggle to hit .500. Optimistic bs is as annoying as reality.
Anytime utep has legitimate expectations. They fail to reach them. I'm going into this season expecting 2 or 3 wins.

Reactions: Rocketsr
UTEP just doesn't have the umph that it needs to progress. Admin, money, facilities, fan support, recruiting, etc. Every now and then we grab good players or win some nice game, but with the NIL and conference fall that looks to be out the window as well. We need a total makeover

Anytime utep has legitimate expectations. They fail to reach them. I'm going into this season expecting 2 or 3 wins.
I’m not that pessimistic but I can see things getting ugly. We have basically 3 FCS teams on the schedule but they’re all gonna be tough to beat. I mean, we’re underdogs at home to an FCS school that didn’t even have a team not that long ago. I still think Rodriguez is gonna beat the shit out of us in game 1. It would be interesting to see the reactions of UTEP administration if we start 0-2.

Winning fixes a lot of ills and it is possible to win in the NIL world. All you need is a handful of players that are under utilized and under appreciated who need to prove something to somebody.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I’m not that pessimistic but I can see things getting ugly. We have basically 3 FCS teams on the schedule but they’re all gonna be tough to beat. I mean, we’re underdogs at home to an FCS school that didn’t even have a team not that long ago. I still think Rodriguez is gonna beat the shit out of us in game 1. It would be interesting to see the reactions of UTEP administration if we start 0-2.
I think the JSU game is pivotal. If utep loses that one, utep will stack losses. Outside of IW, where will the realistic wins come from?

If utep wins, then I'll feel more confident at a 3-2 start.

We also need a coach who feels he needs to prove something to somebody. Dimel has actually been a fair recruiter for the wasteland that is UTEP, but he has driven the fans crazy with his bland offense and lack of game clock management. If we can just get the coaches fired up it would help.
Scotty O'Hara might open up the offense a bit. They tried to let the QB call plays and improvise early last season and it went horribly wrong as you remember. Dimel had to come back in and call plays which resulted in better success later in the season. We started off 1 and 3.

Reactions: utep2step
If I'm UTEP I'm circling this post for motivation lol 😅 I feel ya it's scary to have hope as a Miner Fan. I don't see us losing the 1st game much less getting our ass kicked. They got Rodriguez, so what 1st year and making the jump, not as scared of this game as I guess you are to think they wax us. We shall see. We'll call back to this post after the 1st game and see what happens.

If I'm UTEP I'm circling this post for motivation lol 😅 I feel ya it's scary to have hope as a Miner Fan. I don't see us losing the 1st game much less getting our ass kicked. They got Rodriguez, so what 1st year and making the jump, not as scared of this game as I guess you are to think they wax us. We shall see. We'll call back to this post after the 1st game and see what happens.
Yea bro. The thing is you suck at seeing things. I can pull up your posts from last pre season and compare them to how the team actually did.

I base my prediction not on being scared but on how terrible we have performed against really bad FCS teams at home. It’s not unrealistic to think we lose this one on the road to a much better coached team.

Yea bro. The thing is you suck at seeing things. I can pull up your posts from last pre season and compare them to how the team actually did.

I base my prediction not on being scared but on how terrible we have performed against really bad FCS teams at home. It’s not unrealistic to think we lose this one on the road to a much better coached team.
Aren't I the one that said before anyone else Jacksonville St. was coming to CUSA JS lol I know that's not UTEP related, but I'm not always wrong lol I probably believe a little too much in this team, you're right. However I don't see why you think Jacksonville St. is gonna trounce us. They will be highly motivated and new coach yes, but their talent shouldn't be to our level yet, at least in theory. Like I said we'll see.

Reactions: JCorona
Aren't I the one that said before anyone else Jacksonville St. was coming to CUSA JS lol I know that's not UTEP related, but I'm not always wrong lol I probably believe a little too much in this team, you're right. However I don't see why you think Jacksonville St. is gonna trounce us. They will be highly motivated and new coach yes, but their talent shouldn't be to our level yet, at least in theory. Like I said we'll see.
You did break the news on JSU.

Cuz they’re a good team that won 9 games last year and beat a couple of top 25 FCS teams. Idk if you remember but we struggled to beat an FCS team that ended up with 2 wins on the year.

Vegas already has them as favorites.

It’s truly sad that a transitioning fcs team with a 2nd year coach is favored over us. Let that sink in and think of how bad our current situation is. At least for a coach in his 6th year. The first two games vs essentially FCS teams we open as underdogs. That’s why I think there’s a legitimate chance we lose in week 0.

• Angry
Reactions: Lil_Train
You did break the news on JSU.

Cuz they’re a good team that won 9 games last year and beat a couple of top 25 FCS teams. Idk if you remember but we struggled to beat an FCS team that ended up with 2 wins on the year.

Vegas already has them as favorites.

It’s truly sad that a transitioning fcs team with a 2nd year coach is favored over us. Let that sink in and think of how bad our current situation is. At least for a coach in his 6th year. The first two games vs essentially FCS teams we open as underdogs. That’s why I think there’s a legitimate chance we lose in week 0.
Didn't realize they were that good last year. Not sure who's returning, but still think it's a close game and we pull it out. Hope I'm right and you're wrong on this lol

Reactions: JCorona
Rodriguez has created a ton of excitement over there so Dimel better have them ready. It's two old coaches. One team has the talent up and down the roster, even at water boy (UTEP); however, JSU is chomping at the bit, so to speak.

Mike Franklin is returning to Alabama in a state who was one of the best rb's in 6A. I'll bet he will be a tad motivated with family in the seats.

Didn't realize they were that good last year. Not sure who's returning, but still think it's a close game and we pull it out. Hope I'm right and you're wrong on this lol
They lost to 5-7 Tulsa 54-17 last year. The two Top 25 FCS teams they beat didn’t finish in the Top 25 and didn’t make the playoffs.

Reactions: nattybry
Rodriguez has created a ton of excitement over there so Dimel better have them ready. It's two old coaches. One team has the talent up and down the roster, even at water boy (UTEP); however, JSU is chomping at the bit, so to speak.

Mike Franklin is returning to Alabama in a state who was one of the best rb's in 6A. I'll bet he will be a tad motivated with family in the seats.
What excitement has he created?

They lost to 5-7 Tulsa 54-17 last year. The two Top 25 FCS teams they beat didn’t finish in the Top 25 and didn’t make the playoffs.
The point is we’re starting the season against two teams that combined to win 21 games last year.

Look at previous FCS teams we’ve played.

I’ll skip the first season.

Year 2 scraped by an HBU team that only won one game the year before.

Year 3 scraped by an SFA team that only won 3 games the previous year.

Survived against ACU, a team with 5 wins the previous season and one during the year we played them.

Year 4, beat Bethune Cookman by 10. A team that finished 2-9 during the year.

There’s reasons to be concerned. We’re not playing some overmatched team that ends up giving us hell. We’re playing two teams that know we’re an easy target.

The point is we’re starting the season against two teams that combined to win 21 games last year.

Survived against ACU, a team with 5 wins the previous season and one during the year we played them.

There’s reasons to be concerned. We’re not playing some overmatched team that ends up giving us hell. We’re playing two teams that know we’re an easy target.
100% that Jax St won’t be easy, but they’re not North Dakota St. UTEP needs to start 2-0. If they lose to JSU, UIW, or SHSU, then Dismel should be fired. Those are 3 winnable games and I don’t believe JSU and SHSU are eligible for bowls.

I get you on the history, but are you really comparing the talent of those teams to this one? I know it's UTEP and it's Dimel so there's no room for cockiness, but on paper those teams would get blown out by this current Miner team.on paper at least.

I get you on the history, but are you really comparing the talent of those teams to this one? I know it's UTEP and it's Dimel so there's no room for cockiness, but on paper those teams would get blown out by this current Miner team.on paper at least.
Why not? A shitty (UTEP) played a shitty (FCS).

2021 we had our best year in along time and still struggled to beat an FCS team that finished 2-9 that season.

Now we’re playing one of the better teams in FCS. IW finished the season ranked #3.

Why not? A shitty (UTEP) played a shitty (FCS).

2021 we had our best year in along time and still struggled to beat an FCS team that finished 2-9 that season.

Now we’re playing one of the better teams in FCS. IW finished the season ranked #3.
I didn't say we'd easily beat IW or Jacksonville St lol. I said this current team would beat those FCS teams that u mentioned that past teams struggled against. I think both games will be close this year, I just don't agree with you saying Jacksonville St. will kick our butts like you think.

I didn't say we'd easily beat IW or Jacksonville St lol. I said this current team would beat those FCS teams that u mentioned that past teams struggled against. I think both games will be close this year, I just don't agree with you saying Jacksonville St. will kick our butts like you think.
Hopefully you’re right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT