ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP and the new CUSA - what are the positives?

It's not that these teams find a way to win against us, it's that we find a way to lose against them. That's what I'm hearing on these predictions. Even though we have the more talented athletes, the tedious play calling and horrid clock management will ruin any chance of a resounding win. God, I hope that turns out to be just a bad dream on my part. I really would like to see the Miners have a good season. The team is just going to have to earn any enthusiasm from the fans this year.

I don't see utep winning that game. Would love to be wrong.
Playing a day game against a Big 10 school on the road may be intimidating. They did lose to FCS Southern Illinois last season so who knows. They're on an 11 game losing streak but it'll be their home opener so they'll probably want to make a good showing.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Playing a day game against a Big 10 school on the road may be intimidating. They did lose to FCS Southern Illinois last season so who knows. They're on an 11 game losing streak but it'll be their home opener so they'll probably want to make a good showing.
JCorona has mentioned our history against FCS schools. When was the last time utep beat a power 5 school in football? Going on the road against a solid coach(Dimels kryptonite) in Fitzgerald. Don't like those chances.

Reactions: Lil_Train
JCorona has mentioned our history against FCS schools. When was the last time utep beat a power 5 school in football? Going on the road against a solid coach(Dimels kryptonite) in Fitzgerald. Don't like those chances.
Last time was the 1967 Sun Bowl vs Ole Miss. Also a UTEP home game and the last bowl the Miners won.

The Miners have beat TCU, Utah, Arizona, etc, but those were while they were WAC members. I don’t recall if the Miners have ever beat a “P5” on the road.

UTEP won at Texas Tech in 1956. They were an independent in between their time in the Border Conference and joining the SWC. That’s the closest thing UTEP has to a “P5 road win”.

Never that I can remember? (going back to the late 80's?)

Other than Texas Tech, the closest was UTEP's game against a top 20 UNC in 1993. UTEP was leading until the last minute of the 3rd quarter and the final score was 45-39.

UTEP was not good that year and had lost the previous contest 52-0 to Hawaii. Their performance against a really good UNC team defies explanation; it's ALMOST as baffling as that infamous BYU game.

Last time was the 1967 Sun Bowl vs Ole Miss. Also a UTEP home game and the last bowl the Miners won.

The Miners have beat TCU, Utah, Arizona, etc, but those were while they were WAC members. I don’t recall if the Miners have ever beat a “P5” on the road.
To be fair, the vast majority of our P5 road games are true body bag games - Oklahoma, Texas, etc. The game against Northwestern seems a little different. We still probably lose, but this is the first P5 game in a while where I think we at least have a puncher's chance.

To be fair, the vast majority of our P5 road games are true body bag games - Oklahoma, Texas, etc.
And??

Last year, Marshall won at Notre Dame. Appalachian St won at Texas A&M, they also won at Michigan while they were in FCS. UTSA has wins over Baylor and Illinois and they didn’t even have a football team 15 years ago. There are numerous FCS over FBS wins every year. Even, ULM has a win over Alabama.

Not UTEP though. Everyone else can do it, just not UTEP.

To be fair, the vast majority of our P5 road games are true body bag games - Oklahoma, Texas, etc. The game against Northwestern seems a little different. We still probably lose, but this is the first P5 game in a while where I think we at least have a puncher's chance.
I'm not gonna say we win, but I agree we have a shot for sure. If we win 1st two games of the season, we may even be single digit underdogs barely +8 or +9

Other CUSA members last wins over “P5”
Liberty at Arkansas - 2022
MTSU at Miami - 2022
Jax St at Florida St - 2021
LaTech vs Miami - 2019 bowl
FIU vs Miami - 2019 neutral site
WKU at Vandy - 2015
NMSU at Minnesota - 2011

I looked through SHSU’s schedule from 1990 and couldn’t find one. They have been FCS/1AA the entire time though. If UTEP doesn’t beat Northwestern or Arizona this year, SHSU will probably win one before UTEP. They play at BYU and at Houston this year and at UCF next year. All 3 would be considered “P5” going forward.

Dimel has been given opportunities on a silver platter to carve his name into the UTEP football history books. Got to play in a bowl against a team that was basically coached by the maintenance technicians. Now will play a P5 team coming off a terrible one win campaign. Will he take advantage this time?

Other CUSA members last wins over “P5”
Liberty at Arkansas - 2022
MTSU at Miami - 2022
Jax St at Florida St - 2021
LaTech vs Miami - 2019 bowl
FIU vs Miami - 2019 neutral site

WKU at Vandy - 2015
NMSU at Minnesota - 2011

I looked through SHSU’s schedule from 1990 and couldn’t find one. They have been FCS/1AA the entire time though. If UTEP doesn’t beat Northwestern or Arizona this year, SHSU will probably win one before UTEP. They play at BYU and at Houston this year and at UCF next year. All 3 would be considered “P5” going forward.
Shit man…looks like we just need to play Miami.

Northwestern went 1-11 and lost their best running back, an All-American first round pick tackle and their starting QB. They scored 13 points or less in their last 5 games last year. They have a stout defense though. We should be able to keep it close throughout and maybe if they turn it over too much, come out with a dub.

How hungry is this team and its coaching staff to get a win? Or a winning season? That is what we are all wondering about. The speculation can be endless. Depending on the mood of the individual fan or blogger, we can either go 14-0, or 0-12. Dimel might either be given a three-year contract extension or shown the door immediately. This time of year, the fans go crazy on the websites. But all our speculation doesn't mean a thing until the team actually puts it on the field. Isn't it wonderful being a fan of a historically third-rate team. I know I'm just thrilled shitless. How about you?

How hungry is this team and its coaching staff to get a win? Or a winning season? That is what we are all wondering about. The speculation can be endless. Depending on the mood of the individual fan or blogger, we can either go 14-0, or 0-12. Dimel might either be given a three-year contract extension or shown the door immediately. This time of year, the fans go crazy on the websites. But all our speculation doesn't mean a thing until the team actually puts it on the field. Isn't it wonderful being a fan of a historically third-rate team. I know I'm just thrilled shitless. How about you?
I'll say this. Talent wise and the return of Smith give me hope this team can win 8 or 9 games. Dimel and what I've seen from this Miner team and others throughout the years makes me curb my prediction to 6-6. It could be a little lower or a little higher depending on a lot of things. I don't think they go 0-12 I'd say floor 3-9 ceiling 9-3

Last edited:
I'll say this. Talent waist and the return of Smith gove me hope this team can win 8 or 9 games. Dimel and what I've seen from this Miner team and others throughout the years makes me curb my prediction to 6-6. It could be a little lower or a little higher depending on a lot of things. I don't think they go 0-12 I'd say floor 3-9 ceiling 9-3
I think utep is at your floor (3-9) this season. Not very confident. Great RB room and the OL should be solid. Defense lost some good players but could be solid, still questionable esp in the secondary. And our QB is one of the worst in FBS. Tyrin Smith is good but he's not Jacob Cowing. If Dimel commits to the run game and we have a running QB that ends up starting for us, then I like the team a little better and could see a 5 or 6 win season happening.

I'll say this. Talent waist and the return of Smith gove me hope this team can win 8 or 9 games. Dimel and what I've seen from this Miner team and others throughout the years makes me curb my prediction to 6-6. It could be a little lower or a little higher depending on a lot of things. I don't think they go 0-12 I'd say floor 3-9 ceiling 9-3

You're really going out on a limb with this prediction, man.

So exciting!
Realistic Prediction vs Hopeful Miner prediction are two totally different things my guy. I can give you an exciting prediction 10-2, but that's not very realistic is. If that were to happen, I'll be F'n Excited though I'll tell you that!

Reactions: Dmanminer
I think utep is at your floor (3-9) this season. Not very confident. Great RB room and the OL should be solid. Defense lost some good players but could be solid, still questionable esp in the secondary. And our QB is one of the worst in FBS. Tyrin Smith is good but he's not Jacob Cowing. If Dimel commits to the run game and we have a running QB that ends up starting for us, then I like the team a little better and could see a 5 or 6 win season happening.
I can see the reason for doubt. Don't agree about our QB entirely. I'd say he potentially can be somewhere between 70 and 80 as far as starting QBs in FBS go. He seemed to be getting better last year with his accuracy. We'll see if he takes a jump next year, but I don't think he's God Awful.

I can see the reason for doubt. Don't agree about our QB entirely. I'd say he potentially can be somewhere between 70 and 80 as far as starting QBs in FBS go. He seemed to be getting better last year with his accuracy. We'll see if he takes a jump next year, but I don't think he's God Awful.
Statically speaking he is one of the worst QBs in the history of college football. It was posted on here a few months back.

You know what's funny is that a couple of years ago we were asking Dimel to pass more and now we're asking him to run more. We really need Dimel to find a balance and not overcommit one way or the other

Nov. 2, 1974- UTEP beat #14 AZ St. with future Dallas Cowboy QB and punter Danny White.a

Reactions: 1KiddMiner
I always hope the team has a winning season. Foolish of me I know. I often feel they have the athletes to pull it off. But then I see Dimel waste time outs, call overly conservative plays, not coach them up against the dumb drive killing penalties, etcetera. That extra step that turns an average coach into a good one. Then I come up with all the coulda woulda shoulda things and wonder what's the point. It starts all over again the following season. That's where I am now.

Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT